Unitrunker multiple voice receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaycock

I want to set up a Unitrunker system that uses multiple RTL-SDR receivers for control and voice channels. All of the documentation I have been able to find describes how to configure Unitrunker to use an RTL for control channel and then another for a Voice receiver. My question is if I add additional RTL voice receivers and there are multiple calls going on at the same time, is Unitrunker smart enough to use all available voice receivers to handle simultaneous calls? I realize people are going to be asking why I would want to do this since listening to multiple calls at once is not really practical...my idea is to have the output of each of the voice receivers going to a unique virtual audio cable and that at the end of each of those cables, have recording software that records the audio. Sort of the first steps in building a 'mega scanner' that can record multiple simultaneous voice calls at once.

KD8DVR

I always use one dongle for voice. Then I configure dongles 2 and 3 for control data. You can only hear one voice channel at a time anyway.

But I get where you are going, since you want to pipe each dongles audio through a different output.

The problem is... Both voice receivers are going to lock onto the same signal.

An option may be to set up a ut shortcut that points to another working/data directory, with different priority settings, that way one voice dongle would ignore some voice traffic, where the other would pick it up, and vice versa, while running multiple instances of ut.

Just a guess... Never run more than one ut instance; but have run versions with different working directories.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

chaycock

>The problem is... Both voice receivers are going to lock onto the same signal

That is what I was hoping the author of Unitrunker could clarify...if indeed this would happen or if the software is smart enough to spread the calls out among all of the receivers.

SCPD

QRT
Hi chaycock;

The short answer to your question is yes. Each voice role VCO races to follow the next eligible call.

kd8dvr said:
The problem is... Both voice receivers are going to lock onto the same signal.
This is true where the same call is present on two or more sites belonging to the same network.

chaycock

Take a look at this software Trunking Recorder, it works great with Uni-trunker

I just stumbled on to that a few minutes ago....very impressive and looks like it will do what I want to do. The only question I have is how I would configure it to record digital channels since it looks like I would have to use something like DSD with virtual audio cables and it appears DSD will only work with the default Windows recording device (no way to specify alternate sources). Also, I imagine you would have to have multiple instances of DSD running if it were possible to tell it to input/output to different sound devices (the virtual audio cables).

Are my assumptions correct? I' fairly new to all of this, so I'm trying to cobble together what information I can on how all these moving parts fit together.

Thanks,
Carlton

B-One

I just stumbled on with dsd+that a few minutes ago....very impressive and looks like it will do what I want to do. The only question I have is how I would configure it to record digital channels since it looks like I would have to use something like DSD with virtual audio cables and it appears DSD will only work with the default Windows recording device (no way to specify alternate sources). Also, I imagine you would have to have multiple instances of DSD running if it were possible to tell it to input/output to different sound devices (the virtual audio cables).

Are my assumptions correct? I' fairly new to all of this, so I'm trying to cobble together what information I can on how all these moving parts fit together.

Thanks,
Carlton

I am interested in using trunkingrecorder with dsd+
as well. Can I just change the output? Can I record and listen at the same time if I am running through dsd+?

KD8DVR

I just stumbled on to that a few minutes ago....very impressive and looks like it will do what I want to do. The only question I have is how I would configure it to record digital channels since it looks like I would have to use something like DSD with virtual audio cables and it appears DSD will only work with the default Windows recording device (no way to specify alternate sources). Also, I imagine you would have to have multiple instances of DSD running if it were possible to tell it to input/output to different sound devices (the virtual audio cables).

Thanks,
Carlton

You can specify any recording device with dsd+ You could have multiple virtual audio cables set to pipe your audio.

KD8DVR

I am interested in using trunkingrecorder with dsd+
as well. Can I just change the output? Can I record and listen at the same time if I am running through dsd+?

Take your recording software and have the input set to the audio output of your DSD+ I use "Scanner Recorder" It works well. I still need to figure out how to use trunking recorder. Scanner recorder is no longer online; but any other recording software oughta work, that allows for the recording to pause when no audio is present.

B-One

Take your recording software and have the input set to the audio output of your DSD+ I use "Scanner Recorder" It works well. I still need to figure out how to use trunking recorder. Scanner recorder is no longer online; but any other recording software oughta work, that allows for the recording to pause when no audio is present.

Gonna give that a shot when I get some time! Thank you much.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
Trunking Recorder is easy to setup it actually follows voice calls from unitrunker data output from unitrunker, rather than just listen for audio to peak to start recording like scanner recorder.

You will need to copy a DSD+ folder for how many voco's/receivers you want.

VOCO 1/Receiver 1
unitrunker digital audio output would be Virtual Cable 2

DSD+ prints these out and inputs at start up

to make life easier setup a shortcut to each dsd+ "D:/dsd+2/dsdplus.exe -i2 -o1"

So trunking recorder would be pointed to Virtual Cable 1

VOCO 2/Receiver 2
unitrunker digital audio output would be Virtual Cable 4

DSD+ prints these out and inputs at start up

to make life easier setup a shortcut to each dsd+ "D:/dsd+1/dsdplus.exe -i4 -o3"

So trunking recorder would be pointed to Virtual Cable 3

Really easy to setup you can have as many as you desire or computer can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.