• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD-380

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used this particular radio for receiving DMR. Was thinking of grabbing a unit for UHF DMR reception in my neighborhood.

Thanks,
Andy

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Lots of discussion on it elsewhere on here (Budget and Entry Level Transceivers section for starters).

In a nutshell:

- It's a cheap radio ($$ wise)
- You get what you pay for
- Don't have big expectations and you'd likely be content with it

From what I understand (I don't have one myself) they work quite well for RX only purposes. TX on the other hand is all over the map... Lots of reports of very loud audio, DMR timing issues etc. Again, YMMV depending on what you are using it for. Another common complaint is that it takes FOREVER to recharge (like 10 hours kinda thing). But, hey... if you want a decently built little handheld just to monitor some local stuff, it would likely do the job quite nicely. Just don't over pay for it. Current going rate is about $125 US, give or take.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
As stated lots of info here regarding this, and I'm outside Ontario, but it works fine for a few receive applications I use it for. Also research the custom firmware which may assist in enhancing receive a bit once you become accustomed to how the radio operates. I believe it's at va3xpr.net or something similar. Quick post, didn't look to be sure but someone else can likely confirm that.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
Hi Forts.

Thanks for your input. I wasn't expecting much considering the price. Just needed something half decent to listen to some local utilities,

Andy

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, not only do I own one myself, but so do well over a hundred hams here in Indiana with whom I'm in contact with frequently. We have zero complaints.

As for charging time, it is closer to six hours so yes, it is slow. I simply bought another battery and do a swap and recharge as needed. I also have the battery eliminator for home/car use should I need it.

I paid $105 for mine from State of the Art Communications in Russiaville, Indiana.

bharvey2

I purchased a UHF version from Connect Systems last year. Works fine for receiving and haven't had any complaints during transmitting though I've heard that some problem may exist. Perhaps an bad batch went out or different versions of firmware contribute to a problem? I've talked to many other who use them and the audio sounded fine to me. Given the price of admission, no reason not to get one if you want to get your feet wet in the DMR pool.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
There was a post made to a DMR Yahoogroup recently which stated that a Tytera MD-380 had been analyzed on an Aeroflex service monitor by an Aeroflex representative and problems were found in the transmitter ramp up. The problem was significant enough that it would cause bleed over into the adjacent timeslot.

This would seem to back up the claims that other people have reported.

bharvey2

I'd heard that one had been tested and and timing was off between time slots. Certainly lines up with what you read. Do you know if just one was tested or were there multiple samples? I'm curious how widespread of a problem this is.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Just one was tested.

Apparently it was a demo of the Aeroflex unit and somebody just happened to have an MD-380 unit in the crowd. They put it on the monitor out of curiosity to see if the reports were true.

I would assume from the other reports out there that this one unit is indicative of the other units.

bharvey2

It seems like some users or repeater trustees really hate them though others get along with them fine or at least don't complain. I wonder if some repeaters are more forgiving than others or if it was a batch problem. I've checked the FCC database and the MD-380 is Part 90 certified. Maybe any testing that is done doesn't include DMR related parameters. Can anyone weigh in on whether some have been tested and not revealed a problem?

KD8DVR

I'd heard that one had been tested and and timing was off between time slots. Certainly lines up with what you read. Do you know if just one was tested or were there multiple samples? I'm curious how widespread of a problem this is.

I've heard there are issues with them transmitting on both time slots, and repeater owners are having fits and banning them.. some people say it is widespread, others say, it is due to the use of certain accessories. Many say, no issues at all.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
There was a post made to a DMR Yahoogroup recently which stated that a Tytera MD-380 had been analyzed on an Aeroflex service monitor by an Aeroflex representative and problems were found in the transmitter ramp up. The problem was significant enough that it would cause bleed over into the adjacent timeslot.

This would seem to back up the claims that other people have reported.

Hmmm...

http://communications.support/threads/10541-Tytera-radios-junk?p=75608#post75608

For those of you that aren't members...

"Interesting thread.

I have no TX experience with these units, but I would suspect the "ramp up" time of the transmitter is causing the time-slot intrusion (based on my troubleshooting of Phase 2 issues with the APX)...but I could be wrong...

The same type of issue can happen if you are serving off of a BDA with too much propagation delay."

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Here in Indiana we now have well over 200 members of the Hoosier DMR Network using MD-380 radios. Not once has anyone's radio caused this reported problem.

I regularly monitor TS2 on my CS800 while using my MD-380 on TS1. I've never heard any form of interference on TS2.

I suspect that some of the earlier batch of imports may well have had some sort of problem, because clearly the problem was demonstrated at least a few times in Florida, and the report of the Aeroflex DMR Analyzer cannot be disputed.

SCPD

QRT
Glad to hear it

Here in Indiana we now have well over 200 members of the Hoosier DMR Network using MD-380 radios. Not once has anyone's radio caused this reported problem.

I'm glad to hear that the radios on your system are working well. We have two different DMR systems here in Southeastern Michigan. Mi5 and DCI/Trbo-6. While I can't really comment on the DCI network, the MD-380's on the Mi5 network are bad enough that I don't come back to them when they throw their call out. There is about a half dozen and every one is just too hard tor me to understand on my XPR6550. The Connect system radios (and of course any Moto's) sound fine. I don't monitor the DCI system because they are not quite close enough for me to get into with a handheld, maybe Tyteras sound fine on it.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I would bet that a lot of that is due to operator unfamiliarity. The mic on the MD-380 is in the lower right corner of the speaker area and is a bit on the "hot" side.

Consequently, if the operator holds the radio about six to eight inches from their mouth, and at a slight angle so they are talking "across the mic" then their audio should be crisp and clear, without any "popping p's" or "breath noises."

The digital codec simply doesn't handle "breath noise" well at all! :D

We had a few folks join our weekly Indiana Net over the past few months whom we had to "educate" on the subject. Once they started using this technique their participation went from "barely tolerable" to "excellent" immediately.

VE3JSO

i have a tytera md 380 vhf and it is really good for rx and like forts stated that the battery does take a long time to charge about 9-10 hours and the battery drains seems to drain fast when locked in to a repeater so if you would to get one i suggest getting another battery for it or a battery eliminator another issue i find and it does not do it all the time is that the radio will reboot it self for some reason

N4KVE

I would bet that a lot of that is due to operator unfamiliarity. The mic on the MD-380 is in the lower right corner of the speaker area and is a bit on the "hot" side.

Consequently, if the operator holds the radio about six to eight inches from their mouth, and at a slight angle so they are talking "across the mic" then their audio should be crisp and clear, without any "popping p's" or "breath noises."

The digital codec simply doesn't handle "breath noise" well at all! :D
We have several users of the 380 here in S. Florida. One of them, while transmitting on TS2 caused interference on TS1. This particular radio had such loud TX audio, the repeater owner told the user to talk into the back of the radio. It sounded fine that way, but the user returned the radio to the seller. He said he was going to buy a Moto XPR7550, but I haven't heard him on the repeater in a while. Other 380's sound OK, so it seems the QC is lacking in the mfg process.

I urge people to either buy a used CS700 which seems to be going for $100, [if they're tight on funds] or a new CS750. For a little more than $200, I have purchased several Motorola XPR3500's which were still in warranty. But you have to ask, in whatever hobby you are involved, do you buy the cheapest, bottom of the barrel camera, telescope, RC plane, or car, sea doo, or firearm? Shouldn't we have pride in our hobby, & not get the cheapest product? I'm not saying we have to get the best one, but there's plenty of quality DMR radios under $300 that are far superior to the MD-380. Even a $100 used CS700 is a far superior radio, that does not interfere on the other time slot.

Last edited:

bill4long

I've got an MD-380 and so do several friends. Works fine. I did turn down the analog TX audio level. But that was all. Otherwise it works well on digital and analog. If you get one, make sure to update it with the latest firmware revision.

Back on topic...

I own 3 MD 380s now.... The radio does have some quirks that are not noticeable unless you are picky...

Do they work? Yes
Does TX audio sound good? Yes
Does RX audio sound good? Yes
Is battery life good? Yes
Creating a Code Plug is simple. Watch a YouTube video on how to do it and you'll be able to get it done.

With that said should anyone buy this radio to get their feet wet? Definitely

This radio is like a Baofeng that WE ALL OWN AND USE. For my use, do I need a professional radio like a Motorola. NO.. Especially when I can do the same at a fraction of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.