BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajens

Premium Subscriber
Storm season is almost here in North Texas and I need to replace the batteries in my BCD436 before it arrives. I'd like good and bad advise on what batteries are going to work best. I do not take care of my batteries. I plug the scanners in at night and let the batteries charge. I know taking the batteries out and putting them in a charger would be better for them but I don't want to drag the chargers around with me.

Thanks for everyone's help

Voyager

If you treat batteries that bad, it likely won't matter what you use.

I prefer Eneloop Pro cells. I always carry several charged sets (charged in a charger) and I rarely carry a charger around with me (only when going out of state).

tajens

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I order the enelops. I'd like to get something that lasts as long as possible before they get replaced.

D

darunimal

yup but you cant record or replay without them.

As per the Poster original question, first stop being lazy and carry around a charger or multiple sets of batteries, properly charged with a quality charger, then in 2 years time you can be proud: that you didn't have to buy 8 or 9 4-packs of rechargeables and saved yourself lots of money, unless you like abusing your wallet.

Ensnared

Recommened Batteries

Storm season is almost here in North Texas and I need to replace the batteries in my BCD436 before it arrives. I'd like good and bad advise on what batteries are going to work best. I do not take care of my batteries. I plug the scanners in at night and let the batteries charge. I know taking the batteries out and putting them in a charger would be better for them but I don't want to drag the chargers around with me.

Thanks for everyone's help

I learned the hard way after several mishaps.

One day, after receiving my 436HP, I decided to pay Batteries Plus a visit. I bought some rapid-charging nickel hydride batteries. I charged them up and they discharged, sitting on the shelf, within 48 hours. When I attempted to use the 15-minute rapid charger, it quickly nuked my power outlet in my Nissan Versa. Luckily, the car was still under warranty.

I have bought many of these batteries I highly recommend. This is a great charger since it shows when the batteries are ready to come out of the oven. I believe the shelf life of these bad boys are months, not hours. Amazon.com: Panasonic Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger with eneloop AA 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries (White, Pack of 4): PANASONIC: Electronics

kc2kth

I'm with Voyager here who really hit the nail on the head - it's not going to matter really considering the user behavior. That's not a criticism but an interpretation of the statement of the OP. Buy something decent and inexpensive. Eneloops are reasonably priced as are Imedion, PowerEx and others. Replace them when you notice they aren't lasting long enough anymore. Looking for the battery that provided the best run time as tested isn't going to apply to this use at all since those tests are done in highly optimized conditions.

dallascowboys

HP2

What about the HP2 can you also use the USB cable to run the scanner without the batteries, I know it won't record or replay without the batteries.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
quick question on HP2, I want to avoid corrupting the SD card. For example, I have HP2 powered ON, running on USB 5VDC power, now I want to run on batteries, may I simply unplug the USB cable and the HP2 will automatically switch to batteries without corrputing the SD card? Or would I have to power down the HP2, then unplug USB 5VDC power, and next power HP2 ON running batteries?
Also will the reverse also work? HP2 powered ON running on batteriers, now plug in USB cable at 5VDC. Would this procedure corrupt the SD card?
Thanks

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
quick question on HP2, I want to avoid corrupting the SD card. For example, I have HP2 powered ON, running on USB 5VDC power, now I want to run on batteries, may I simply unplug the USB cable and the HP2 will automatically switch to batteries without corrputing the SD card? Or would I have to power down the HP2, then unplug USB 5VDC power, and next power HP2 ON running batteries?
Also will the reverse also work? HP2 powered ON running on batteriers, now plug in USB cable at 5VDC. Would this procedure corrupt the SD card?
Thanks

Can't say for the HP2... But my 436 will do that... I do it all the time... I would imagine the HP2 would be ok too...

D

darunimal

As long as it is powered, there should NOT be a worry of corruption, So basically yes you can swap the batteries in and out while its USB powered, and/or from the cars' USB power to the homes' USB power via batteries.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Reading up on rechargeables, I've found out that Eneloops and AmazonBasics are slightly larger than "normal" batteries. I just ordered a 436HP and would like confirmation that these will fit in the 436's compartment.

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Reading up on rechargeables, I've found out that Eneloops and AmazonBasics are slightly larger than "normal" batteries. I just ordered a 436HP and would like confirmation that these will fit in the 436's compartment.

I have three Eneloop Pros in my 436 right now.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Thanks
What you want to be careful not to do, is have the scanner plugged into a "hot" (connected to battery) power outlet in the vehicle and turned on, and then start the vehicle. The surge could potentially damage the card.

gibbs70

436 Batteries

Another way to power the 436 is with those mobile power banks used to charge cell phones. I scored a 3 pack of duracell 2200mah ones on clearance at Costco for $15.oo. They power the 436 for pretty much exactly 7 hours, after which it seamlessly transfers to the internal batteries and keeps scanning for however long they last. I used to go to bed and wake up to the scanner being dead, now it lasts through the night easily. (i have no plug where i leave my scanner on at nights). Only downside is you have to charge them back up with a USB cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.