Rockwall County getting Harris P25 P2 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Harris Corporation to Enhance Rockwall County, Texas Public Safety Communication Syst

Harris has been awarded a contract by Rockwall County, Texas to enhance its county-wide public safety and public service radio system. The contract was awarded during the second quarter of Harris' fiscal 2016. The system will serve more than 600 users from the cities of Rockwall, Heath, Fate, Royse City and McClendon-Chisholm.

Harris Corporation to Enhance Rockwall County, Texas Public Safety Communication System | Business Wire

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I dont think i have seen a city / county go through more radio system then Rockwall.
They have been conventional, UHF LTR, UHF EDACS and now going to a Harris P25 II system.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry... Maybe by the time they start building it (because the first 5 in the state were not enough to figure out how to install one) they will have it figure out and it will go smoothly and they won't need to sue Harris.....

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I see a Harris Phase 2 system get a bid and I just shutter feel sorry for the entity that awarded that bid.... They have yet to impress me with a smooth install and quality of infrastructure.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry... Maybe by the time they start building it (because the first 5 in the state were not enough to figure out how to install one) they will have it figure out and it will go smoothly and they won't need to sue Harris.....
Rockwall being the smallest county in the state, they may have a better shot. We'll just have to wait & see.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Rockwall being the smallest county in the state, they may have a better shot. We'll just have to wait & see.

This is true. I hope it goes well for them. Just seems to not have any where else around the state. The Clovis NM site had issues as well.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Isnt the Richardson system Harris?
For some reason i keep thinking it was an Australasian company who did it.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I heard on RR Lubbock had to change their new Harris P25 Phase II back to Phase I.

Oh boy, clueless politicians.

fasteddy64

I guess we will be the next guinea pigs here in Abilene.

We just received 15 pallets of new radios.

System migration should be happening in the next three years.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Bad RF Engineering and Implementation?

Lubbock switched back to phase 1? That is only a 2 site simulcast, they couldn't make that work either?

If you try to build simulcast systems on the cheap by using more HAAT and fewer sites, you can been assured of SDS problems.

More sites at lower HAAT and lots of electrical down tilt on the antennas is needed to minimize the overlap areas. In urban environments you can have shadowing from buildings and clutter that creates lots of pockets of near equal power from simulcast sites, one near and one far and the intersymbol interference goes through the roof.

High speed simulcast is a black art and not all RF Engineers get a handle on it, especially if they are driven by the sales to folks to make it competitive by leveraging existing installations to save money/increase profit/commission!

Lubbock would probably need four to six sites for Phase II TDMA simulcast, depending on the amount of building penetration coverage you want for handhelds.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Lubbock would probably need four to six sites for Phase II TDMA simulcast said:
I heard Midland has 5 sites as small as the town is, Lubbock is probably twice the size as Midland.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Depends

I heard Midland has 5 sites as small as the town is, Lubbock is probably twice the size as Midland.

I was blowing off the cuff from my design experience as I have not been to Lubbock in decades, might need a couple more than six since Lubbock is listed as 123.6 square miles. It would depend a lot on the RFP and siting limitations in the RFP and the desired coverage contours.

It could range from 4 to 10 or more and that would depend on what was asked for the RFP.

BUT GUESS WHAT http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQRV491

They have two sites so it would be interesting to drive test the overlap areas to see how they mitigated SDS, these sites are pretty high so they must have substantial down tilt to limit the radiation on the horizon. I'll try to find the RFP.

Craig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.