BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Cloning to a BC796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromics

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to clone my 996 to my 796 (slave), but keep getting an error. The connection is both back ports. I'm sure that I'm doing it right. Is this even possible or are they too far apart in generations? Thanks for the help in advance.

chromics

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I originally thought that cloning was more universal. More like a general protocol. I stand corrected.. Thanks for the help.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Also these are two completely different scanners using completely different memory architecture.

You might do some research and see if any of the programming software (Butel, FreeScan or ProScan) may be helpful. Usually you can have the software read an earlier model scanner and prepare the data for writing to a later model scanner. But I'm not sure about the backwards capability.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan will never work with the 796, for the reasons just stated (different memory architecture), and ARC250 won't either (although looking at ARC996 might be worthwhile)

ProScan supports both radios, so that is a likely path there...Mike

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure arc250 won't work with the 796? I'm reasonably sure that's what I've used in the past for programming my 785. The 785 & 796 look to be very closely related.

Jeff.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't need to check the wiki, 'cause I wrote it :.>>

I didn't say that ARC250 won't work with the 796 because, as Gommert says, it does - however, it can't work with the 996 due to the memory architecture. I know ARC996 can accept data in several formats, but I don't believe it could down-grade data from a DMA scanner to a standard banked scanner

If ProScan can't downgrade the data, your only option is to dump the contents of the 996 into a standard csv (comma separated values) file, manipulate it in Excel or similar (there are several free open source options here), then use a data import function that can use a csv file as input. I *think* ARC250 could accept this, but Gommert knows best :.>> Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.