Win500 and RadioShack GRE Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Guys,

I have a few RadioShack Pro-197 scanners. Until recently, I could read/write them just fine with Win500 by Don Starr. I went to read from the scanner today and got a "Timed out waiting for 67452 data bytes, received 0" error message.

I tried using both Win500 V01.93 as well as the most recent Win500 with no results.

What am I missing??

Regards,

-Frank C.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Could be the cable has gone bad, I'd try a spare if available, or get a new one. Could the connector on either end not be fully engaged? Anyone else have a different idea? Those would be my first suggestions,
Or try on a different machine (PC) if available.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Guys,

I have a few RadioShack Pro-197 scanners. Until recently, I could read/write them just fine with Win500 by Don Starr. I went to read from the scanner today and got a "Timed out waiting for 67452 data bytes, received 0" error message.

I tried using both Win500 V01.93 as well as the most recent Win500 with no results.

What am I missing??

Try downloading the latest driver from Don Starr's web page and reinstalling it.

Also, are you running Windows 10? I've heard of issues with programming cables for the PSR500/Pro-106 not playing nicely with Windows 10, but more often than not it turns out to be a case of needing a driver update.

Tom

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I'll double check the driver from Don Starr's site. As far as Windows 10, no this is an XP machine. I've swapped between two cables.

Regards,

-Frank C.

RDGDigital

I've had this problem a few times. It turned out to be a problem with the cable that plugs into the PC/IF jack of the scanner. Sometimes this cable will come loose and needs to be pushed fully into the jack. When plugging the cable into the PC/IF jack there comes a point where the cable will feel as though it is fully seated but it isn't. You should be able to feel it click into place when it is fully seated.

I've also had this same problem with my PRO-197 although not as often. I believe the jack on these scanners is just a little finicky and you just need to be sure they fully seat. In my case it doesn't help that I always have a case on my PRO-106 as it will also interfere with plugging in the cable.

When this happens WIN500 seems to think the scanner is connected but when uploading/downloading it goes very slow and then that message will display before it finishes.

Hope this helps.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I honestly think I'm chalking it up to a bad programming cable! Next trip to RadioShack will tell me for sure.

Regards,

-Frank C.

jfhtm350

Sounds like the electronic chip in the middle of the cable has gone bad. That is what converts usb to serial, I think. It would probably still show up in the device manager when you plug it up.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Yes it still shows up in Device Manager, but does not flash or anything in the visible chip area.

Regards,

-Frank C.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone how much $ the win500 program is now, or where to order it from? Thanks, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.