Albany PD pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf435

Just listened to Albany PD go after a Honda that was stolen or had switched plates. Went Northbound I5 over 100Mph had to terminate at South Commercial/ Delaney Road area because units lost radio contact with dispatch. So at least they now know how far coverage is. Maybe Albany PD needs to dig their VHF radios out and program them for other agencies and the OSP channels

David

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Are they on that SW Ore 7 County system? I'm guessing on the 700 MHz site on Scott Mtn? You'd think Scott Mtn would provide them with pretty decent range. Still, it's not a good thing if they lack interop capabilities with neighboring agencies. Is Linn County Sheriff on that system full time now? I still receive Linn County Sheriff from SW Portland occasionally on their old VHF frequency when they're on the Scott Mtn repeater.

dkf435

The SW 7 system was cut back from several sites in each county to 1 in Linn and 1 in Benton. With having an old friend in management for law enforcement I find Albany not having policies for radio protocol for when leaving the city or exiting the county while in pursuit lacking, they should not be surprised when they found out they dropped off the trunked system with no one calling the pursuit on either OSP VHF or LCSO VHF or Marion County. Linn County is only using the system here and there and a couple of chases. Last 2 years they did the entire Brownsville Music Festival on 700 trunked. The Scott Mtn VHF got tied in with the new trunked radios so the link to dispatch is better.

I think Albany was put on the 700 system just to hold the license as it was getting over a year on the build date, Corvallis is on the system when they have an extra dispatcher, the murder at Shari's had everybody coordinating the search on 700 also. Not sure how accurate the info is but heard that Benton Sheriff was going to stay on VHF as the 700 coverage is not good with the other sites not built.

Have a radio tech friend that says you can buy better radios then Motorola but not more expensive, but those Harris radios come in close second also

David

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Friday morning at 2 am OSP Salem was pursuing a car north on I-5 through Woodburn at 100 mph and I heard a unit on OSP Salem vhf freq call themselves "Albany 104" which is an APD callsign. They ended up spiking the vehicle and it wrecked at MP 286 by wilsonville.

dkf435

Friday morning at 2 am OSP Salem was pursuing a car north on I-5 through Woodburn at 100 mph and I heard a unit on OSP Salem vhf freq call themselves "Albany 104" which is an APD callsign. They ended up spiking the vehicle and it wrecked at MP 286 by wilsonville.

Sounds like they cleaned up their operating protocol, the chase I listened to, Albany stayed on the 700 SW counties trunked radio system and promptly dropped all comms after going over the hill into Salem. They did not go to the LSCO VHF or OSP VHF channels. After the first chase I asked them via the comments on Facebook if they now knew where the radio system lost coverage and why no procedure on going to OSP channels, think I got somebody thinking.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.