Mississippi River

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Most likely not skip, since Coast Guard Sectors have multiple radio sites to be cover the large areas.

marksmith

When I lived in Pittsburgh PA, the Coast Guard base at Owensboro Kentucky came in like it was down the street. I think they have repeaters the length of the Mississippi so you were not hearing skip.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

hill

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you had some enhanced VHF propagation that day.

The sites for the Coast Guard's Rescue 21 Radio System are located are some very high sites or towers. In my local Sector the range from just 200' to over 600' and that a large range on VHF.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The USCG has radio sites indeed along the entire Mississippi River, and up along some of its tributaries, many of which are shared with the USA-COE. There are also beacons at every bridge crossing, dam, and lock on the Big Muddy. You often in Spring, and Fall, and before strong storm fronts get some pretty good VHF High Tropo Ducting down there in the South. It is quite normal to get VHF High Ducting openings of 100 to 200 miles for short periods. In times of very big Troposhperic Ducting, you can get widows for VHF High up to 500 or more miles, VHF Low up to 3000 miles, UHF 200/300 miles, and 700/800/900 MHz 100/200 miles. I have personally monitored California Highway Patrol from Charleston, SC on VHF Low, St. Bernard Parish back when they were on UHF from Jackson, and McComb MS, and FD's/PD's on VHF high from as far as 5 states away when I lived in Union Church, MS.

ecps92

Here is a great story, with maps, explaining the Rescue 21 sites
continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Rescue 21 Stations; several sites in Southeast Michigan found and documented

The USCG has radio sites indeed along the entire Mississippi River, and up along some of its tributaries, many of which are shared with the USA-COE. There are also beacons at every bridge crossing, dam, and lock on the Big Muddy. You often in Spring, and Fall, and before strong storm fronts get some pretty good VHF High Tropo Ducting down there in the South. It is quite normal to get VHF High Ducting openings of 100 to 200 miles for short periods. In times of very big Troposhperic Ducting, you can get widows for VHF High up to 500 or more miles, VHF Low up to 3000 miles, UHF 200/300 miles, and 700/800/900 MHz 100/200 miles. I have personally monitored California Highway Patrol from Charleston, SC on VHF Low, St. Bernard Parish back when they were on UHF from Jackson, and McComb MS, and FD's/PD's on VHF high from as far as 5 states away when I lived in Union Church, MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.