BC365CRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker1997

Premium Subscriber
Watching for discussion on the BC365CRS. Looks good for a desktop receiver if you do not expect too much.
Anyone know about this one?
Manual with it is for the BC345.
(Analog only)

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have a BC345CRS in my bedroom that I occasionally listen to. For an inexpensive radio/scanner, it performs amazingly well. Pretty sensitive on low VHF, high VHF, and UHF. I enjoy all the modern digital trunking scanners, but sometimes just listening to these simple just-enter-the frequency in a bank scanners is still a pleasure. Same with the Uniden BC75XLT, which I am listening to as I type this reply. . These are great under $100 scanners that allow you to still hear plenty in an area like Southern California.

marksmith

I have a 370crs on the desk as a clock radio, but it is very good at analog non-trunked scanning. For what is left to listen to that this radio can hear, it is a great value, but I don't think they have been made for years.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Nitebeat

Can ANYONE advise if the BC365CRS allows input of a frequency with FIVE (5) digits to the right of the decimal point i.e. 476.14325? Advertisements for this scanner state that it is "narrowband compliant" but the stock photos of the device DO NOT show the display to be capable of the 5 digits to the right. All HELP will be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Tech1

If you type in a frequency such as 476.14325 the frequency would be rounded off. The scanner does not allow 5 digits after the decimal point.

Nitebeat

Thanks for your reply. There is a BC365CRS, see: https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/bc365crs.html.
Cannot understand why it is advertised as "narrowband compliant" but you can't enter the extended frequencies with the 5-digits to the right of the decimal point such as 476.12345. It would nice if a simplified scanner with this capability could be made available, where you can just punch in the frequency without all of the technical difficulties presented with the newer scanners i.e. the BCT15X, etc. Some of us didn't get to Poly or Cal Tech just yet!!

Boatanchor

IMHO, no scanner should be listed as 'Narrowband Compliant' unless if has the appropriate IF filtering to suit the closer channel allocations.

If this were the case though, none of the current crop of 'low-mid tier' scanners, including the BCD325P2, the BCD996P2 or even the Homepatrol would be compliant.

Oh well, C'est la vie..

N9JIG

Sheriff
The BC345CRS and the BC365CRS are very similar, the main difference is the removal of AM Radio capability in the 365.

As far as Narrowband compliance I don't know about the specific filters in either, but suspect they are not particularly decent as it is a $100 radio.

Any consumer scanner will work fine on a freq with 5 places past the decimal and round it off accordingly. The bigger issue is how far away from the actual freq you could go at a given signal strength before the radio stops hearing the signal. Better filtering will mean that the radio will stop hearing it closer rather than farther.

SCPD

QRT
Battery Only?

Hello,

Thinking about purchasing one of the BC365CRS for a friend who lives in an analog only area.

My question is it will be mainly used as a base unit indoors but the manual seems to imply (page 17) that "Batteries are intended to provide backup power for the clock and for scanning for a short time".

What does "scanning for a short time" mean? Hour?

The reason I am thinking about this model over says an 125AT is that generally base models have a louder speaker.

Thanks.

Anne-Britt

SCPD

QRT
An hour or two. Depends on a lot of factors.

Paul,

Thanks. A hour or so will work fine for her needs.

What do you (or anyone else) suggest battery wise for this unit? Disposable alkaline or high capacity Ni-MH?

My family pretty much uses eneloop pro in all our gear and I found an amazing deal on them so I probably will just throw in a couple sets and a charger unless I hear different.

Anne-Britt

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Since it isn't really intended to be operated on batteries full time (just as a backup if power goes out...and typically that is just weather standby and keeping the clock set) any quality alkalines will work. It is not recommended that you try to operate from batteries as a regular thing.

Sporrt

Size of the internal speaker on the BC365CRS?

Just looked at the manual for the BC345, found it odd that the speaker specs would be omitted.

SCPD

QRT
Size of the internal speaker on the BC365CRS?

Just looked at the manual for the BC345, found it odd that the speaker specs would be omitted.

2 watt.

I don't know of any other purpose built scanner with the ability to run off batteries that has this large of a speaker. The reasoning for buying this model was I first tried a 125AT and the speaker was not loud enough my elderly friend.

It's really a nice little unit and is serving the purpose well.

She is getting just about 3.5 hours of scanning (at close to max volume) using batteries only before the low battery alert. Eneloop pro, BTW.

Mine you, Paul did state this is "not recommended" and I take that to mean this use may void the warranty.

Did replace the stock antenna that has a nonstandard push on connector with one from a BCT15X for added stability. She takes it everywhere. For her in car use I installed a mag mount antenna (SpectrumForce Wideband) and used sticky back fasteners to secure it safety out of the way.

Anne-britt

Sporrt

I was interested in the physical size of the speaker, but Thanks for the info on the unit thus far.

I just looked at my manuals for other portable radios, etc. And they all list the speaker diameter in the specs.
The fact that Uniden omitted the info is puzzling/suspicious.

SCPD

QRT
I was interested in the physical size of the speaker, but Thanks for the info on the unit thus far.

I just looked at my manuals for other portable radios, etc. And they all list the speaker diameter in the specs.
The fact that Uniden omitted the info is puzzling/suspicious.

Can't help you with that.

Best bet would be if Paul (UPMan) would be willing to disclose or if someone here has actually replaced one
in any of the CRS models.

It use to be very easy to access this information, you would just plug in the FCC ID and take a look at the diagrams but those days are pretty much over.

Best of luck,

Anne-britt

BearcatIII

I have a BC345CRS that only seems to recieve UHF. No VHF or weather service. I checked the antenna connector for continuity and did a full reset of the radio. Anyone else experience this?

Status
Not open for further replies.