• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7180 "external" alert for two tone decode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5ena

Premium Subscriber
Hello and good evening. My department (volunteer) is in rural Oklahoma and one of our stations seems to be in a wierd "RF free hole". Our mobiles work fine and of course the station radio works fine, but our handhelds are hit and miss in the our faraday cage of a steel building and our pagers aren't always 150%. I've been outside the station where i couldn't hear the radio and didn't know we had a call until another member was bailing out of his POV and grabbing his gear, all the while wanting to know why I was piddling around in the yard. I was wondering if there is a way to hook up an output off of the accessory connector to trigger some sort of buzzer or siren driver for a loudspeaker that we could hear when we're not around the radio.I can build whatever sort of relay circuit is required for the external part of the project, but I"m not much of a kenwood guy and figured before i beat my head against the wall experimenting i'd ask and hopefully somebody has a quick solution. I'm also open to the idea of a "plug and play" type option if someone knows of one that doesn't break the bank.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Yes you can get a 7180 to respond to either a Fleetsync or two tone sel call using the horn alert function. You'll need to get a KAP-2 option interface and install it inside the radio (very easy). The KAP-2 will give you a relay closure when you receive a call. The relay is good up to 1A.

Now you can interface this to the loudest, most obnoxious klaxon you can find and be the hit of the station.

kf5ena

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir! I'm not sure about a klaxon but i'm sure we can find something that we can hear but won't annoy the neighbors too much at 2am when we're not there. I guess if we really wanted to stir the natives we could use the 1 amp relay to trigger a timer circuit to spool a q2b. That might be a little much though! we'll probably just mount a small horn with an enclosed siren driver on the outside of the building and call it good. another small favor... does this output run through the aux a/b selection or the aux output status message selection? or is this something that will appear in a menu once i have the board installed? Thanks in advance.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The horn alert output is not associated with any of the aux I/Os. It's a separate dealeo all together.

Programming is in the software already. If you are using two tone decode, you would set that up with your tones under the Edit>Two Tone menu. Horn alert parameters are under Edit>Optional Features>Page 1.
Program a button to enable it. Lastly enable the function on your dispatch channel by selecting the correct Optional Signalling in the channel edit window.

Horn alert can be programmed to fire off from one to thirty seconds when you get a call.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Just buy a tk-7150, it has the relay built in. We install them all the time for station alerting

I have too along with 780s and 760s etc. Two reasons NOT to use a 7150 (or other earlier models);

1 NLA
2 They don't have horn alert status memory which means after a power failure the user has to remember press the horn alert button to re-enable it again. Not a good thing for a critical application.

kf5ena

Premium Subscriber
Its funny that if you look in the right menu you'll find what you're looking for! Thanks again. We've already got the 7180 setup and running, so it'll be cheaper to just buy the option board and roll with it.

DJ11DLN

Good info in this thread...I think it is going to make the guys at my firehouse annoyed with me yet again...gotta keep 'em on their toes.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.