Macon, GA NS Audio Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanakatherock

Hello everyone! I am new here to the RadioReference forums but have been a casual user of some feeds over the last few years.

Myself and a few others became sad when the Norfolk Southern Macon area feed was taken offline due to the host moving away.

Does anyone else live in the Macon area have the ability to scan railroad frequencies? I would personally offer it myself but I live in Covington, GA and out of range of their system.

Thanks,

Van
Vanakatherock

mjbjr

It should be up and running actually. I have started hosting the feed for him. I never have listened to it though. After looking at it,I see Charles hasn't updated it as its showing its going to be taken down.

Vanakatherock

It should be up and running actually. I have started hosting the feed for him. I never have listened to it though. After looking at it,I see Charles hasn't updated it as its showing its going to be taken down.

Thank you for the response! I have listened to it a couple of times since I have seen it back online. I just haven't heard anything from what is usually a very active feed.

mjbjr

Submit a report on the audio. He has remote access to it and nothing has changed about it except the location. And if anything,its closer to the RR now than where it was. I will be glad to help however I can though.

Vanakatherock

I just submitted a report about no audio. Hope we get it up and running again soon. Thanks for your help and hosting the feed! Many railfans are thankful!

mjbjr

Its up and running on my end,but I dont listen enough to know if its busy or just hit and miss.

Vanakatherock

As of 7:00PM on 03/06/2016 the NS Macon feed is not visible. Generally speaking, when it is live and functioning properly, one should be able to hear something within a 10 minute window. When recently listening to it, we heard only dead air for 15-20 minutes. That never happens on that feed.

Let us know if you need any other input from us and we'll be glad to provide it.

Attachments

• Scanner.jpg
    Scanner.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 407

mjbjr

That's weird it doesn't show up. When I get home ill hook up the monitor and check it out. Im going to send you a pm as well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Vanakatherock

It doesn't allow me to send a PM yet, probably because I have a new account.

I did try the application and it first displayed it wouldn't connect to the feed, then it returned an error stating the feed was missing.

charlesdotcc

Hey guys, I can fill in the details later today, but long story short, it is down for the now because it gets no reception at its new location . I'm the one who ran it before I gave it to mjbjr, but unfortunately it sounds like it just gets nothing at its new place. :(

As for the feed just totally disappearing, I just saw that, and I have no idea what's going on there.

Funny, I had no idea anybody else actually listened to it. But I would love to get it back if anybody could provide a location. I've got everything, in a nice little package even, I just need a little bit of power in a little bit of Internet.

The old location was near Ingleside Village pizza, which isn't even that close to the yard, so it doesn't need to be perfect.

mjbjr

Maybe I can move it around to get better reception. Ill Check when I get home

mjbjr

Ok the feed was deleted. Im working with Charles above to get it fixed. One of us will update this post with a fix

Vanakatherock

Depending on radio setup, it isn't uncommon to pick up railroad frequencies as much as 10-20 miles from the nearest line. I live in Covington and off and on pick up the NS Macon dispatch. Not enough to make for a consistent feed and this comes from a Yaesu FT-270R.

charlesdotcc

Hi all,
So as far as the feed goes, I'm not quite sure why it was deleted in the first place, but it looks like the admins were able to re-instate my old feed at least to some degree. I'm not sure if it has the same ID as before or not, so either way, here it is:

NS and GC Railroads

Unfortunately though, the bigger problem remains. I don't understand why, but the feed is deaf as doorknob. The new location is twice as far from Brosnan Yard as the old one (8 miles vs 4 miles), but the elevation profile isn't significantly different. You can see there's a hill about 85' tall blocking "line of sight" from the new location, which is obviously bad, but the old location actually has a similar profile.

Mike is going to try some new antenna locations, but the fact that it is so bad right now doesn't give me much encouragement that we're going to be able to do something that will get it to a usable level, unfortunately.

Interestingly, I can't even pick up NOAA WX radio on 162.475 with the squelch totally open, which is pretty amazingly bad. I wonder if we have an antenna connection problem, or the splitter isn't working for some reason... Or Mike could unluckily be in one of those RF dead spots, or have a powerful transmitter near by that's desensing all the scanners.

-Charles

Attachments

• Elevation.jpg
    Elevation.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 340

mjbjr

Ill try and get it moved in the next day or two. How would we test the spkitter

charlesdotcc

We'd test the splitter by hooking the antenna straight to the radio, bypassing the splitter, and seeing if things all of a sudden get better.

The argument against it being the splitter is that the Fire radio seems to be working at the moment going through it, but you never know.

mjbjr

Maybe I can program my 197 and see if it picks up the rr feed

Vanakatherock

As an FYI, the most important frequencies we use are 160.950, 160.245 and 160.650. The 160.830 might be as well, but I don't recall ever getting any to/from transmissions on this with any radio I've owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.