Trouble hearing Pinellas P25 from Tampa all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

I've been listening to the Pinellas County Public Services (P25) Trunking System, Pinellas County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies system for quite some time using a HP-2 with the audio options on B and 8 getting a good strong signal and almost flawless decoding. Last week the system dropped out and I no longer get them. There has been no change to my antenna, it's location, the scanner hasn't been dropped, etc. The same goes for Clearwater City Services Trunking System, Clearwater, Florida - Scanner Frequencies. Has anyone else dealt with this past or present? Just trying to get to the bottom of this one. T.I.A., TT.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Several weeks ago I noticed that I couldn't place my dongle antenna just anywhere and get a strong signal like I had previously been able to. Had to find a sweet spot. Don't know if it's related or not.

They like to switch the cc to 856.9625 from time to time, usually only for a few minutes. I would think that the HP-2 would pick up on that, though.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I monitor site 5 on the Pinellas P25 system and I haven't noticed anything unusual.

From a troubleshooting perspective, if two separate and unrelated radio systems are similarly affected, I'd double-check every element of your installation before looking for external issues. I know it's easy to overlook something simple because, in your mind nothing has changed, but perhaps something has.

...just sayin'.

-John

tampatracker

I monitor site 5 on the Pinellas P25 system and I haven't noticed anything unusual.

From a troubleshooting perspective, if two separate and unrelated radio systems are similarly affected, I'd double-check every element of your installation before looking for external issues. I know it's easy to overlook something simple because, in your mind nothing has changed, but perhaps something has.

...just sayin'.

-John

Thanks Bolt and chief21, an update on this, after sitting down playing methodically with the audio settings I can get part of SPPD comms, but that's it. I noticed the database had been updated with regard to the site frequencies on 3/1/16 so did that update, perhaps this is why I'm getting what I've got now, but all the rest for now is not getting through.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I noticed the other day a frequency I had in Site 5 was a control channel for Site 10. The scanner was locked onto that frequency so once it was removed it I started receiving again on the Site 5 control channel.

If you know how to use Unitrunker or Pro96Com you might want to check it on a regular basis to get the updated frequencies. They seem to change more often that what is on the database. I'll submit what I have later today.

Otherwise, I receive the system fine from Tampa Int'l Airport area with an indoor antenna.

tampatracker

I noticed the other day a frequency I had in Site 5 was a control channel for Site 10. The scanner was locked onto that frequency so once it was removed it I started receiving again on the Site 5 control channel.

If you know how to use Unitrunker or Pro96Com you might want to check it on a regular basis to get the updated frequencies. They seem to change more often that what is on the database. I'll submit what I have later today.

Otherwise, I receive the system fine from Tampa Int'l Airport area with an indoor antenna.

Thanks for that, yes they do switch freq's quite often that's for sure. I am going to download both of those programs and learn how to use them, this business of not getting Pinellas P25 is getting annoying. I'm down in Hyde Park with a Laird Laird B8065 Antenna, 806-866 MHz, 5db Gain out the window, and that's worked fine before for Pinellas, so back to the drawing board for me.

tpredmore

I submitted the update to move that frequency from Site 5 to Site 10. Hopefully that will solve some issues with HP scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.