NSP radio vs county radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernut09

So I got to talking to one of our county cops a few weeks ago. We got to talking about radios and he just hates the new system that the NSP has. He has told me even through they are digital themselves they cannot talk to the troopers. And also the troopers can not hear our fire or rescue calls which I find hard to believe since I would think there radios would still pick up analog traffic I would think. I really dont know how there radios work so some inside info would be helpful. Has anyone else herd of any trouble with the county cops talking to the NSP?

Depends on the county radio system
Ex
NSRS is 150Mhz P25
Lancaster is 800Mhz analog

I'd guess NSP radio's are MONO so only one band.

I don't know if there able to do patching when they need to by dispatch.

There are TG that are setup on NSRS called ROC witch is a Interop TG but the local groups need 150Mhz radios

scannernut09

Well thayer county deputies are digital while the fire and rescue departments are all analog. From talking to the deputy he cant hear a NSP trooper even if hes in the next county. From also talking to him the sheriff gave the troopers who patrol the county the radios that they use but the still have trouble hearing them or dont come at all.

scannernut09

No the county cops are digital they switched over a few years ago I was able to listen to them up until one day, I could not hear anymore then one of my coworkers who has a digital scanner said that they switched over.

SCPD

QRT
Sad. Problem with politicians and bean counters playing with public safety. Hey look a cheaper option they say it works. Yup all in favor say aye. Sometimes the sheriffs will look at ways to save the public costs but then this unfortunate thing happens. Two different digital technologis and different bands. Why states need to start regulating if they haven't a common format. Hmm I thought we already been down that path post 9\11. Lol as usual the public will suffer mainly the responders themselves.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
If Thayer county does use mototrbo on UHF while NSP is useing P25 Phase 1 trunking on VHF. Their radios are completely incompatible. NSP uses APX 7000 portable and I believe they switch to APX 7500 mobile both radio are VHF/800mhz. So they can't talk to each other directly being on different radio bands. They only way they could talk directly to each other is via patching.

Plus I don't believe there is a radio currently on the market that has both Trbo and P25 in it. The APX line probably could but Big M won't do that. There currently is no scanner that will decode Mototrbo.

Even if Thayer co was using analog conventional VHF with a P25 radio they still would not be able to scan each others' traffic via their radios properly. In a motorola radio you can not have priority monitoring while scanning a trunking system and a conventional system. They could talk directly to each other if they used the same band using the conventional mutual aid frequencies. NSP does have the VHF and 800 conventional mutual aid frequencies programmed into their radio but they very rarely use them, probably due to lack of training or not knowing where those channels are in their radios.

NSP troopers might be able to talk directly to departments that use the SRS via mutual aid talk groups or they might have those agencies talk groups programmed in their radio. The only local agencies that I know NSP troopers can talk directly to via dispatch frequencies/talk groups are OPD, Douglas Co So/rural LE, Washington Co So, Pott Co IA and maybe Sarpy Co. Plus they have the Metro and Douglas Co Common talk groups.

Hobbyscan

Premium Subscriber
scannnernut09, Ask the Deputy how the coverage is? Do they use any vehicular repeater? Is it a single site repeater, connect plus, linked capacity plus, capacity plus, or IP site connect. Interested to know as Thayer co is almost as big as ours. I'm looking to get better portable coverage in our county, digital, and keep costs down.

scannernut09

Hey the coverage is pretty bad the southern part of the county is pretty hilly down by a town called hubble the deputy's have to use there cell phones to get a hold of the dispatchers. I find this pretty sad that our sheriff will spend the money on new vehicles and toys instead of making there radio and paging system better. Also on a side not the sheriffs offices does not even have a weather radio the sheriff wont let them by one they still use teletype to get there watches and warnings. I found this out one day by asking a deputy way it takes so long for a page to go out after its been issued the longest it took for a weather page to go out was almost a half hour.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The DB indicates the county Sheriff is UHF MOTOTRBO (Emission Designator of 7K60FXE) which would not be compatible with the state system which is P-25 VHF, nor the Fire Department which is UHF Conventional.

WQAX948 (THAYER, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

WQAX348 (THAYER, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Maybe the same Motorola sales rep that sold Clay Co on MOTOTRBO also sold it to Thayer county too.

The radios would still have analog so the Sheriff could access the fire UHF Analog channels. When connecting with NSP, the would have the same issues as any UHF analog user in the state. I'm hoping their comm center can patch to a ROC channel on the SRS like UHF Analog agencies do. I guess they would still have the Mutual Aid VHF/UHF/800 network for interop with NSP. Has this network even been constructed? Do any of the agencies have the channels or know how to access them in their radios?
http://www.homelandplanning.nebrask...Nebraska Mutual Aid Radio System Project .pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.