SLATER may be going encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9aao

I have been hearing rumore that SLATER and possibly MOSWIN will be incorporating encryption in the near future. That sure would make monitoring these systems mostly impossible. Can anybody confirm, deny or comment on this. So far, all this is would be a rumor.

73, Rich

nd5y

What you mean by "incorporating encryption"?
All P25 systems are capable of encryption. It's part of the standard.

k9aao

SLATER

Thanks for the reply. Up until now I never have seen the St. Louis County Police or any other users of SLATER using encryption. I guess my question was really if the rumors I have been hearing about using encryption all the time were true.

I am using the Uniden HomePatrol-2 scanner with the extreme upgrade. The only department I have seen using encryption is the St. Louis City Metro Police.

Again, thanks for the reply, 73 Rich

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. Up until now I never have seen the St. Louis County Police or any other users of SLATER using encryption. I guess my question was really if the rumors I have been hearing about using encryption all the time were true.

I am using the Uniden HomePatrol-2 scanner with the extreme upgrade. The only department I have seen using encryption is the St. Louis City Metro Police.

Again, thanks for the reply, 73 Rich

You need an older radio that will work with Pro96com.
Slater has many very active encrypted TGs for the users. Many of these TGs have been in use since the system was first put on the air.
If you do have one of the radios that Pro96com supports, hook it up. You will be surprised at the amount of encrypted traffic there is on Slater!

Any TG that is in the 556xx and up range is encrypted on Slater in St Louis County.
You may see some of these flash on your HP-2 display for a very short period if you are in ID Search mode and the 556xx TG is not already programmed and avoided in your Slater favorite list.
You will not hear any audio though as that TG range is fully encrypted.
The 558xx TG range is used by fire for encrypted channels.
All Muni's in STL County should have at least one TG they can use in the 556xx range. They are called Support channels in the users radios but are usually tagged as Law TAC here in the DB. And they will show an E in the Mode column here.
The County PD precincts have several of these encrypted TGs for their use as well. Again, they are in the 556xx range for PD and 558xx for fire.

wb0wao

There are a few encrypted TG's on MOSWIN - mainly Federal users and some local agency TAC and Narcotics TG's. The primary user of MOSWIN - MHP - may have a couple encrypted TG's but for the most part they are in the clear. I have heard no talk about MHP going encrypted at all. While some local departments may decide to throw the switch, I seriously doubt that MHP will be doing anything like that soon. All of the MHP units have MDT's and all of the "sensitive" information is sent that way and not over the air.

lelanjlaborde

Premium Subscriber
suggest a new radio to me so i can catch 700mgh encryption..Will the Pro 96 pickup encryption on the 700mhz band...I get a hit on the carrier but have no modulation on the encrypted frequencies..Thanks!

lindsay34654

suggest a new radio to me so i can catch 700mgh encryption..Will the Pro 96 pickup encryption on the 700mhz band...I get a hit on the carrier but have no modulation on the encrypted frequencies..Thanks!

There is NO radio (scanner) that can as of this time be able to pick up encryption broadcast Key word AT THIS TIME. Remember at one time you could not pick up Digital fixed at one time you could not pick up Pro Voice FIXED Give it time they are only shooting themselves in the foot by going silent

wb0wao

And their will never be one.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

There are 1.1579209e+77 possible keys in an AES-256 system (what the MOSWIN radios can use) - this basically 1.16 followed by 77 zeros. AES-256 is certified for the transmission of Top Secret/SCI level information. The only way you will be able to hear traffic encrypted with AES-256 is to get hired by the agency that uses it!

k9aao

Let's just say the question has been answered.

Thanks to all who contributes a great wealth of information on this subject. My question has been answered.

Let's drop this thread before it becomes another rant, OK.

Thanks again. Happy monitoring!

73, Rich

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Ecryption

Sorry to continue this.... but I was told a couple weeks ago from a good source that St Louis County police departments would go to Encryption.

That's all I know, last I heard.

Terry

k9aao

Tnx

Thanks Terry. I have heard that as well but my source is a 2nd hand source. I guess we will know for sure when we can't monitor SLATER in STL!

73, Rich

bdzig

Premium Subscriber
Do huh! Catch encryption!
No police dispatchers are going to encrypted traffic on normal dispatch talkgroups. None of the radios out in use have encryption enabled on channels other than their support talkgroups. All the radios would need to be reprogrammed, which is highly unlikely right now.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
And their will never be one.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

A scanner you can buy from a store? You are 100 % correct.

Will there ever be a SDR solution for the big E? Maybe. But VERY doubtful. Especially with over the air re-keying.

A shame that there is so much encryption going on in the St. Louis area. Hope it doesn't spread across the state to Springfield, KC or Columbia.

bdzig

Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected after hearing more chatter. The police radios are currently not programmed for encryption on dispatch talkgroups. However, the talk is that on the next update, they will change this. Could be a year or so before this happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

wb0wao

What may happen is that all of the ancillary TG's may go encrypted, but the primary dispatch TG will probably remain in the clear. I have been told by a source that is in a position to know that it is "strongly preferred" on MOSWIN that all primary dispatch TG's remain in the clear for interoperability reasons. I have heard on several occasions another agency's TG patched into one of the IO TG's when they so they can communicate directly with MHP units during an incident. There was an agency in Region E that decided to run primary dispatch encrypted, but they turned it off after some discussions with the "powers that be" in Jeff City.

Whether SLATER will or will not follow suit is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.