ICOM R-75 going out of production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

I wonder what he is basing this statement on? I have seen several web sites saying the same thing in the last 36 hours. Some seem to be tied back to a Universal radio site announcement of limited availability.

While the R-75 has been around a long time, and it being discontinued would not be surprising, the Icom USA web site says nothing about it being discontinued.

T!

dkf435

Was at swap meet in Puyallup WA on saturday and this is in ICOMs back yard, while not asking about the R75 at the time people were asking about the new IC7300, which they had no example to show as there is only one in the US right now, but they did confirm that the IC7200 is no longer being made and existing stocks will be all available, and guess as the R75 is of similar design that it will be discontinued.

Most likely Universal and other dealers got a notice with the new pricing for the season or the models were dropped off on the order list. If serious buy now, before Dayton as many increases kick in during the Hamfest season.

I am wondering when the last run of the PCR/ R2500 was done? as I am thinking they are sitting on a large stockpile and just selling them until gone and not saying anything about new things until old is gone.

The IC7300 is supposed to be more SDR like then earlier radios so this may trickle down through the receiver line.

Also snagged a R7000 and R7100 in Washington for good prices, need a little work though.

David

ridgescan

I have read this on four sites so far. I feel lucky now to be an owner of one of these. I bought mine in 2008.
Between this one and my r71a I am swimming in obsolescence here:D and llllllllloving it!

ridgescan

If you have the means, get one. I dub this rig the "Crown Vic" of HF receivers ('cause I'm sick like that) because of its work-a-day, user-friendly layout, its handsome look in the shack, and the fact that it can refine a signal like 10 different ways. It really is a fantastic HF receiver. My r71a gets way more use here only because it's more "analog" and I prefer that for everyday working of the bands. Keep an eye in here:
icom r75 | eBay

nanZor

Of course I'm looking forward to a replacement - an rx-only version of the new IC-7300 xcvr.

One can only hope. :)

ridgescan

I agree Hz-there are posts in other forums though that say Icom feels there isn't nearly enough demand for SWL rigs anymore to warrant another dedicated one:(

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I think it actually was discontinued years ago - for a short while - and then Icom brought it right back due to popular demand. Maybe they're testing the waters again!

nanZor

These days, to keep the costs down from a dedicated swl rig, why not do like Alinco did with the R8T / SR8T series - just remove the transmit sections?

Thus, no specialized retooling or model - other than just being rx-only.

Imagine an rx-only Icom 7851, or any other manufacturer transceiver model that has had the transmitter guts ripped out and offered at an swl-only price? Hmmm....

osros

Feed Provider
Always had my eye on the R75 to get but always held off and I miss my R71A. I decided on a transceiver IC7300 alot more $$ but it has all I need I think and I will get my Lic soon, even if not would also make a great receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.