SDR Trunk Airspy lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

I have disused this here before but the thread got huge. Just wanted it to be easy to find. I am running an Airspy with SDR Trunk. Works fine set to 2.5 bandwidth. When I switch to 10 Mhz I get about 20 seconds before lock up, which for the short time it works well. Per all the suggestions, I installed a fresh copy of Win 10 Pro 64 bit running 8 Gigs of memory. This is supposed to be fine. When it locks up, task man. reports 328 megs memory with about 12% CPU. Intel MB, I7 processor with a new USB 3.0 expansion card dedicated to my SDR receivers.
I will attempt to upload the screen shot of the memory errors in SDR Trunk.
Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks, Chuck

Last edited:

cpetraglia

Chuck,
Were you able to run the usb bandwidth test to see if you can reliably stream samples from airspy at the 10 MHz sample rate?

Quick start guide | airspy.com (Troubleshooting PC Performance Problems)

Denny
I tried. I downloaded the tool kit, unzipped to a folder on my desktop (no other instructions as to what to do with the tool kit). When trying to execute the command, I get a non recognized internal or external command. That's where I am. I wont bother you with this any more. I still cant get Airspy to help me out with the driver install. Everything they have suggested, I have tried many times. Are there any further instructions on what to do with the tools folder?

Chuck

rylvir

Feed Provider
Did you navigate the console window to the correct folder prior to executing the airspy command? Try unzipping the airspy tools to a simple to find folder like C:/airspy, open cmd (console) and execute the following commands:
Code:
cd C:/airspy
airspy_rx -r NUL -t 0

Leave it running for 30 seconds, then Ctrl+C
If the average throughput is below 10.0 MSPS then either your USB controller has problems or you CPU can’t process the data.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
You say you are using USB 3.0. I have read in a number of places that some USB 3.0 port/controllers can be problematic. Have you tried to run your Airspy on a USB 2.0 port on your system?

This may have already been covered in the other thread you mentioned, but since you did not provide a link I .....

cpetraglia

Did you navigate the console window to the correct folder prior to executing the airspy command? Try unzipping the airspy tools to a simple to find folder like C:/airspy, open cmd (console) and execute the following commands:
Code:
airspy_rx -r NUL -t 0

Leave it running for 30 seconds, then Ctrl+C
If the average throughput is below 10.0 MSPS then either your USB controller has problems or you CPU can’t process the data.
I appreciate everyone's attempt at helping. I think at this point I just know nothing about DOS commands. Where do I put the folder with the tool in it? I have tried many different locations. I am not sure exactly how to type in the correct path.

Chuck

cpetraglia

Finally I got the test to work
Results were as follows:
Caught signal 0, Average speed 10.00 MSPS

Would this mean that the PC and USB etc. are all OK?
That's the way I read it. Now I am back to square one with SDR Trunk. It's not like I need it, I have 5 scanners and all work well. I just think the program to me is the best out there so far. I guess the big thing is a $200.00 expense that I can't seem to use it's full potential. Oh well. !!

Thanks Chuck

slicerwizard

Code:
airspy_rx -r NUL -t 0
Ouch. Don't be telling folks to use forward slashes in Windows...

Finally I got the test to work
Results were as follows:
Caught signal 0, Average speed 10.00 MSPS

Would this mean that the PC and USB etc. are all OK?
Looks that way.

That's the way I read it. Now I am back to square one with SDR Trunk. It's not like I need it, I have 5 scanners and all work well. I just think the program to me is the best out there so far. I guess the big thing is a $200.00 expense that I can't seem to use it's full potential. Oh well.
These programs always improve over time, so don't assume that your investment is for naught.

cpetraglia

Ouch. Don't be telling folks to use forward slashes in Windows...

Looks that way.

These programs always improve over time, so don't assume that your investment is for naught.
Trust me, I tried back slashes 20 times till I went to forward and it worked. You do use forward slashes.
I have lots of faith the program will constantly improve. At least I know the Airspy is fine.

Chuck

DSheirer

Premium Subscriber
Chuck,

If you're comfortable with using a text editor like notepad, could you edit the run_sdrtrunk_windows.bat file. If you view the file in windows explorer, you should be able to right-click on the file and choose edit.

In your text editor, you should see:

Code:
java -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "SDRTrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;http://forums.radioreference.com/images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

Can you add (-Xms2g) right after java, so that it reads:

Code:
java -Xms2g -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "SDRTrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;http://forums.radioreference.com/images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

When done typing, File > Save and then double-click on the file to start sdrtrunk.

This setting tells java to use 2GB of memory on startup. It will eventually reduce/increase the memory to whatever it needs to keep running, but this is an experiment if 2GB gives java on your computer enough space until it figures it out.

If you're not comfortable editing this file, please let me know and I'll post an edited copy for you to download and use.

Denny

Last edited:

cpetraglia

Chuck,

If you're comfortable with using a text editor like notepad, could you edit the run_sdrtrunk_windows.bat file. If you view the file in windows explorer, you should be able to right-click on the file and choose edit.

Code:
java -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "SDRTrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;http://forums.radioreference.com/images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

Code:
java -Xms2g -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "SDRTrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;http://forums.radioreference.com/images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

When done typing, File > Save and then double-click on the file to start sdrtrunk.

This setting tells java to use 2GB of memory on startup. It will eventually reduce/increase the memory to whatever it needs to keep running, but this is an experiment if 2GB gives java on your computer enough space until it figures it out.

If you're not comfortable editing this file, please let me know and I'll post an edited copy for you to download and use.

Denny
I have no problem editing the file. I will let you know how it does.

Thanks very much.

Chuck

cpetraglia

I tried it and the program wont start. Just does a quick flash. Took it out and it starts right up. I am quite sure I got the spaces correct. Maybe I'll try copy and pasting your entire line.

Chuck

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Chuck,

Code:

Code:

Denny

Chuck,

I just looked at the run_sdrtrunk_windows.bat file and it has this:

java -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "sdrtrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

What denny has above has a http link in it and I don't think that should be there. So the line of code probably should of looked like this:

java -Xms2g -XX:+UseG1GC -cp "sdrtrunk.jar;*;libs/*;config/*;images/*" gui.SDRTrunk

Give that one a try because the http string that is the line from Denny is probably what crashed it and it would not load.

RJ

cpetraglia

Chuck,

Code:

Code:

Denny
Denny,
I changed the 2 gigs to 1 gig and the program opened. Worked fine for 2-3 minutes this time before locking up. (Airspy set to 10msps) I only got 10-15 seconds originally. Mt task manager showed 1095 megs at time of lock up. I will experiment with some different amounts and get back.
Progress is good.

Thanks, Chuck

Last edited:

DSheirer

Premium Subscriber
Denny,
I change the 2 gigs to 1 gig and the program opened. Worked fine for 2-3 minutes this time before locking up. (Airspy set to 10msps) I only got 10-15 seconds originally. Mt task manager shoed 1095 megs at time of lock up. I will experiment with some different amounts and get back.
Progress is good.

Thanks, Chuck

If it starts with 1G, but doesn't start with 2GB of memory that means that Windows wouldn't allow Java to have 2GB system memory to use and it may mean that Windows doesn't have that much memory free to give.

With no applications running, what does Task Manager say about total memory, memory in use, and total free memory?

cpetraglia

If it starts with 1G, but doesn't start with 2GB of memory that means that Windows wouldn't allow Java to have 2GB system memory to use and it may mean that Windows doesn't have that much memory free to give.

With no applications running, what does Task Manager say about total memory, memory in use, and total free memory?
With all apps shut down, SDRTrunk running Airspy @ 10msps, memory 2.5 g (31%) of 8GB. CPU at 38%. Those are total readings. The reason I did this clean install of Win 10 64bit was to free up that memory. I am also using a new Samsung SSD which makes a huge difference. Have you heard of this from anyone else? I have ordered 2 more matching sticks of mem to up it to 16 gigs. From what I can tell, the PC is not starving for memory. I am stumped and do not have any knowledge of Java. This is a learning process.
Thanks for all you've done.

Chuck

cpetraglia

With all apps shut down, SDRTrunk running Airspy @ 10msps, memory 2.5 g (31%) of 8GB. CPU at 38%. Those are total readings. The reason I did this clean install of Win 10 64bit was to free up that memory. I am also using a new Samsung SSD which makes a huge difference. Have you heard of this from anyone else? I have ordered 2 more matching sticks of mem to up it to 16 gigs. From what I can tell, the PC is not starving for memory. I am stumped and do not have any knowledge of Java. This is a learning process.
Thanks for all you've done.

Chuck
I just ran it watching the performance monitor. Basic same results. Java climbs to 1300 MB before it crashes which is 28% of total mem and the OS is using the 3-4%. I have also run a few different mem tests with perfect results.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.