Radio reference feed LAPD hotshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I noticed today that the normal feeds for many LAPD Stations are no longer appearing in the Android scanner app that I use.
Where did they go?
I have "scanner radio pro" from the android market.
There were about 6 different feeds.

woid

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed a mild hum using the iOS Radio Scanner app, but no hum using the Flash Web Player. How are you accessing the feed?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I can hear the hum on both the Broadcastify HTML5 player and Gordon's Scanner Radio app for Android, but it's not so strong that it overwhelms the feed.

What streaming software are you using?

woid

I am using the ScannerCast RR Edition V0.14 software. I just placed a ferrite core on the audio feed wire. I have two ferrite cores on the USB power feed into the scanner. So far, I don't think it made much difference.

Thanks.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
If you haven't done it already, try using a different audio cable between the scanner and the computer. A bad audio cable can cause hum, and a cable swap can be an easy fix.

If that doesn't fix it, try adding an isolation transformer to the audio cable running from the scanner to the computer and see if that gets rid of the hum.

If the isolation transformer doesn't get rid of the hum, try adding a three-prong to two-prong "cheater" to the computer power cord on a temporary basis. If that fixes it, then you've found your problem.

Are you powering your scanner from your computer or a separate USB power supply?

Sometimes, it takes a combination of solutions to totally get rid of the hum.

Alternatively, you can use RadioFeed for your feed software; it has a notch filter function you can set for the offending hum frequency/frequencies to knock the hum out of the feed. The notch filters work very well when they are set to the proper frequency. However, you'll want to try eliminating the hum by the other means first.

Let us know what you find! :cool:

Last edited:

woid

Appreciate the detailed suggestions.

I disconnected the USB power feed from my computer into the scanner, so the scanner was running on its battery power and voila, hum disappeared!

Then I connected a USB power adaptor into my UPS and as far as i can tell this solved the problem.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Let me know if anyone still can hear the annoying hum.

Status
Not open for further replies.