Calgary Digital Radio System Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
at 1410h on Wed Mar 16 all Calgary Police Units were advised to redirect to the local detachment to pick up MiKE phones. If they have issues before they get them to call 911 to connect to a dispatcher as per 2900 (Inspector on Duty)

The radio system is still up, but there are so many issues they are going to be using both for a bit.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
They ordered them deployed, but never switched, my guess is there was an err on the P25 side, like when the system was shut down for a week because of a update gone awry at the Bankers Hall site

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Listening to CPS on A2 tonight and all sergeants and patrol officers are having issues with their CAD's and earlier I heard about some AVL issues, everything is fine until one network goes down.

I guess that's my biggest fear of the future LTE network for First Responders. If everything (CAD's AVL's and Radios) are on the same network, all it takes is one site to go offline for any reason to expose issues.

I remember working WAY up North where I carried my iDEN dispatch phone, and the 50w in my rig, there were times were I was responding to John d'Or, or Fox Creek for assaults that we had to get the RCMP to call our dispatch to tell them we were on scene. When we flew into BC or the Yukon my partner would only bring their iDEN phones and I would always keep my CDMA cell on me. Most times it was our only lifeline in a lot of areas. Even on ground ambulance our satellite phone failed continuously.

(If I had a small HF rig I would have kept it in my flight bag as a hail-marry if we went down in the plane because the Alberta Health provided sat phone never worked quite right...)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I guess that's my biggest fear of the future LTE network for First Responders. If everything (CAD's AVL's and Radios) are on the same network, all it takes is one site to go offline for any reason to expose issues.

As much as the telecom cartels would LOVE to have all PS on PTT over LTE, it will not happen.

Look at AFRRCS: 300-ish sites for mobile coverage on primary and secondary highways.

Think about how many sites would be needed for a 600mW device, even for JUST primary and secondary highway coverage. Never mind coverage 'everywhere'

I remember working WAY up North where I carried my iDEN dispatch phone, and the 50w in my rig, there were times were I was responding to John d'Or, or Fox Creek for assaults that we had to get the RCMP to call our dispatch to tell them we were on scene.

Welcome to AHS acquiring a whole bunch of repeaters when they took over EMS. Before nobody cared about providing coverage where they did not go.

The current radio system(not AFRRCS) is a joke. At Least BC has always(since I can remember) had dedicated repeater system. Even Yukon had MDMRS (replaced in the mid 2000's). AHS just half assed it with ROIP.

When we flew into BC or the Yukon my partner would only bring their iDEN phones and I would always keep my CDMA cell on me. Most times it was our only lifeline in a lot of areas.

iDEN was never deployed in Yukon, and had very limited deployment in BC. There was nothing north of the 3 Kamloops sites. Nothing east of Armstrong(northern most site was between Armstrong and Vernon). It was built out in the Okanagan from Penticton to Armstrong, the Kamloops area, and the lower mainland. I do not even think there was continuous coverage from the Okanagan to the lower mainland.

Even on ground ambulance our satellite phone failed continuously.

Are you referring to the MSAT terminal? (Satcom link?) I would expect it to not be overly reliable. It is looking for a single satellite in a geosynchronous orbit. Get into trees, or any sort of terrain that blocks your view towards the satellite, and you are screwed. As far as Globalstar and Irridium, Irridium is the one to have, way better coverage at the farther north you go. I was just north of 60 degrees latitude 2 summers ago, and the Irridium phone in the helicopter worked fine, but my Globalstar phone was really hit or miss.

(If I had a small HF rig I would have kept it in my flight bag as a hail-marry if we went down in the plane because the Alberta Health provided sat phone never worked quite right...)

Outside of the issue being really far north, my Globalstar phone has come in handy in Alberta on more than a few occasions. Usually along the FTR between Nordegg and Robb. There are a couple of places I go there every now and again that are not in cellular coverage, that I have needed to make phone calls out of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but has anyone heard what the new upgrade coming on 2016 April 4 is all about? This might just be for the Calgary FD but as they share the same system, is there an upgrade?

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I have heard rumours that CFD was going to go P25...

Could also be the AHS live date for AFRRCS...

Where did you get the date from?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Over the air yesterday, dispatch talking to Airport fire about A6. Not sure if it just applied to the vehicles at the Airport or if it was a general update. Airport using portables until then, then portables and mobile. I generally don't like to repeat what I heard over the air, but this was no when they were on a call.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Well it's something to look forward to.

I know that Calgary Transit, and well every City of Calgary department is moving to the CDR system very soon because they are all on MiKE right now.

ahp309

A CFD All Call went out this morning advising C platoon that their new radios are in the halls, and that they should charge the batteries today, as the new radios would be activated tomorrow.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
There is going to be a complete overhaul of the TAC talkgroups on Monday we are going to need people listening to see what the 10 or so new TAC groups are

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I must have missed something or my scanner isn't work. Only CPS comms on Sunday afternoon are from Airport. Fire and EMS, Bylaw, Enmax are working. Did they go mike.

technocardy

I must have missed something or my scanner isn't work. Only CPS comms on Sunday afternoon are from Airport. Fire and EMS, Bylaw, Enmax are working. Did they go mike.

Anyone know what's going on today? Haven't heard CPS all morning. Getting Fire, EMS, and RCMP no problem.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Yep, back on to back up Mikes. Pretty boring city listening today.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
And in a few short months they will have no backup system. Makes me think their alternate dispatch channels should be analog like fire and EMS is, that way if the P25 system goes down they still have comms.

Is it perfect, nope, but it will be better than nothing.

Last edited:

ahp309

I listened to A4 and A5 with no problems this afternoon and into this evening. No problems hearing Districts 4 & 5 along with Fire. 5 was busy with the two alarm fire and the 10-01 with the impaired driver at the same time.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
2016 June 19 not hearing any CPS only odd Photo Radar. Problems again?

Status
Not open for further replies.