• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Turn HT into a "mobile" radio via battery contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I have some UHF Tait handhelds that have no external power solution to them other than charging. The charging circuits don't provide power for transmitting. There are times we need to adapt the handheld to "mobile" aircraft solution since the pilot can't use a "literal" hand held radio and fly at the same time, and a battery just doesn't cut it for large jobs (and pilots can barely remember their lunch let alone managing batteries.)

An idea I had was to rip out the guts of a battery pack and simply use the shell to externally apply the proper voltage and current to the leads in the shell that contact the radio. I've seen other radio manufacturers do this but not sure if I'm missing something like filtering etc. (which we can do on the incoming power if needed). An example I'm talking about is Battery Eliminator for KG-UV9D [BTE-9] - $15.99

Edit: I'm seeing names for these like Battery Eliminators or Dummy Batteries.

Last edited:

ka4gfy

I would be real careful about installing another radio in aircraft. Using the aircraft electrical system will require an avionics technician with a GROL to OK it and possibly an A&P mechanic will have to sign off on it as well.

Doing anything in an aircraft outside the norm gets real messy and FAA has a low tolerance to these things.

My flying club had to have the entire weight and balance done on both airplanes when we upgraded the radios. An avionics tech had to certify the install and an A&P had to certify the new weight and balance.

Rich, KA4GFY

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have some UHF Tait handhelds that have no external power solution to them other than charging. The charging circuits don't provide power for transmitting. There are times we need to adapt the handheld to "mobile" aircraft solution since the pilot can't use a "literal" hand held radio and fly at the same time, and a battery just doesn't cut it for large jobs (and pilots can barely remember their lunch let alone managing batteries.)

An idea I had was to rip out the guts of a battery pack and simply use the shell to externally apply the proper voltage and current to the leads in the shell that contact the radio. I've seen other radio manufacturers do this but not sure if I'm missing something like filtering etc. (which we can do on the incoming power if needed). An example I'm talking about is Battery Eliminator for KG-UV9D [BTE-9] - $15.99

Edit: I'm seeing names for these like Battery Eliminators or Dummy Batteries.

Aircraft issue aside, Yes, this can be done.

However, you need to look at the specific radio and design accordingly. Supplying 13.8vdc to the battery contacts on a radio that is expecting to see 7.5vdc is not a good idea. You'll need a voltage regulator somewhere along the line to bring the voltage down to what the radio wants to see. This is pretty easy, but the voltage regulator needs to be designed for the amount of current the radio will pull as well as a way to dissipate the heat. This -might- be able to be done inside the old battery housing, or you might want to do it in an external box with heat sink.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
One alternative to having to have multiple sign offs done would be to use a relatively light weight gel cell battery supplying the Tait.

This would remove the issue of being tied into the aircraft's electrical system. The bonus is that this radio could also serve in an emergency situation...

RFI-EMI-GUY

A comment on battery eliminators and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).

I have a 6-7 year old Garmin Nuvi GPS in my car. Recently I was using it and transmitting on my UHF SABER GMRS portable at the same time. I started hearing a strange beep. Turns out the cigar lighter power adapter for the Garmin was shutting down (or possible overvoltage) the power to the Garmin.

When using a handheld in a vehicle or aircraft environment, you open yourself up to a bunch of possible EMC problems.

I would avoid making a permanent install of this radio until you have a proper authority like a GROL AP Tech properly install a radio and antenna.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Try setting the pilot's HT to low power to increase battery life. I know plenty of pilots who run 1W in the air on portables and have QSO'S 100+ miles.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the avtech concerns, that's all being met. These are temporary radios that we want to adapt to our existing "temporary radio interface" with our aircraft. We have Aux power and external antenna connections available for temporary radios that a client may need such as law, fire, utility, etc. This would tie right into that system. I've got a clean separated 12vdc supply from the 28vdc avionics side that helps feed aux power for temporary devices, GPS and some old secondary AM comm radios.

I did find some 12vdc to 7.5vdc 5A regulators that might fit in the emptied shell of a battery pack. We'll start with that and work from there. We should be drawing about 1.4 amps on high power so hopefully we have plenty of headroom for heat but will keep an eye on that. Unfortunately we do not have access to the programming of these radios so cannot switch from high to low power. I know a lot of this is a people problem and not a technical problem (charge your @$!@ radios!!) but we've got to work around that. Having an external larger gel cell battery to negate some of the people problem still brings me to square one, there is no method of bringing in external DC source to this HT, other than the battery contacts. You'd think a $1500 radio would have that "feature".

Thanks everyone! I'll follow up with what I find or engineer.

cmdrwill

snip/ I did find some 12vdc to 7.5vdc 5A regulators that might fit in the emptied shell of a battery pack.
Thanks everyone! I'll follow up with what I find or engineer.

Just make sure you have the proper 'filter' capacitors on the input and output of the regulator. Check the mfg specsheet. The regulator can oscillate at RF frequencies. We use the three pin TO 220 style regulators mounted on a little flat piece of alum for a heatsink. They are actually a integrated circuit, IC.

Most handheld radios do not draw any more than 2 amps at high power.

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure you have the proper 'filter' capacitors on the input and output of the regulator. Check the mfg specsheet. The regulator can oscillate at RF frequencies. We use the three pin TO 220 style regulators mounted on a little flat piece of alum for a heatsink. They are actually a integrated circuit, IC.

Most handheld radios do not draw any more than 2 amps at high power.

Thanks cmdrwill. Not sure if the turnkey solution I got has the caps on input and output but will check on that. We'll see how "turnkey" it is. I'm also looking at 3pin TO220 regulators and found a couple that might work - and even take in the 28vdc straight from the copter instead of being behind the 12v converter. With those I do see the schematics requiring the caps and will design accordingly, thanks for the heads up.

This will certainly be behind their own circuit breakers so if the regulator spews noise on a critical freq we can isolate that circuit to kill it. Of course as we design these we'll test them hard against the comm side and FM radios before we give them our blessing. Of course we just tell the pilots if they want to see if the Low Engine RPM warning light works to just push the PTT (push to test). Kidding. Seriously....maybe....

I appreciate the input everyone! It's nice to bounce some ideas off others and make sure my mind is on the right track.

Project25_MASTR

Boom, already available from Power Products.
c74eb9a960b4b489f133330964916732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks W5PKY - we have some of those and unfortunately they do not behave well when using and transmitting the radio while charging. The radios can sit and monitor traffic while charging, but as soon as you transmit the charger gets overloaded. It only provides 700ma of power for the charging and it and the battery freaks out when it's trying to charge and suddenly the load jumps up to 1.5A.

I appreciate you looking. I have exhausted most of my google-fu on this.

Project25_MASTR

Thanks W5PKY - we have some of those and unfortunately they do not behave well when using and transmitting the radio while charging. The radios can sit and monitor traffic while charging, but as soon as you transmit the charger gets overloaded. It only provides 700ma of power for the charging and it and the battery freaks out when it's trying to charge and suddenly the load jumps up to 1.5A.

So I actually talked to Power Products about that, they said give them a call. They should not be doing that (even the first gen, current is second gen).

cmdrwill

Transmitter RF feeding back into the charger, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.