NTSB freq's in Tampa/Sarasota/Orlando area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

There are the huge lists of government freq's available to us and some will even say which agency(s) use them. But I would like to ask if anyone out there has actually heard any NTSB traffic? I know this is a long shot and that this might be one of those posts that sit around with no reply until fading to page two and therefore oblivion. But if you know of any and want to share or PM me that would be great. T.I.A. TT.

ecps92

National Transportation Safety Board - The RadioReference Wiki

NOTE: numerous members of RR have reported that these frequencies are ONLY USED in very large incidents. NTSB officials are dispatched by cellphone and official email.

I would agree with the above, it's not like the 80's anymore, the technology avail can be done with data - but then YMMV and the SEARCH button is available to ALL and to answer the "have you heard them" - yes, but that was for a Major incident and pre Y2K

There are the huge lists of government freq's available to us and some will even say which agency(s) use them. But I would like to ask if anyone out there has actually heard any NTSB traffic? I know this is a long shot and that this might be one of those posts that sit around with no reply until fading to page two and therefore oblivion. But if you know of any and want to share or PM me that would be great. T.I.A. TT.

tampatracker

National Transportation Safety Board - The RadioReference Wiki

NOTE: numerous members of RR have reported that these frequencies are ONLY USED in very large incidents. NTSB officials are dispatched by cellphone and official email.

I would agree with the above, it's not like the 80's anymore, the technology avail can be done with data - but then YMMV and the SEARCH button is available to ALL and to answer the "have you heard them" - yes, but that was for a Major incident and pre Y2K

Right, thanks for the reply. We just had a small general aviation aircraft crash a a local airport, KTPA. Unfortunately although there were two fatalities, I dont think it qualifies as a "Very Large" incident, however there are NTSB investigators on scene now, so as you suggested time for the SEARCH button. But they are almost certainly on their cell phones on this one

ecps92

Yea. Large would be like Egypt Air - Off Rhode Island or the Air Florida into the Everglades

Right, thanks for the reply. We just had a small general aviation aircraft crash a a local airport, KTPA. Unfortunately although there were two fatalities, I dont think it qualifies as a "Very Large" incident, however there are NTSB investigators on scene now, so as you suggested time for the SEARCH button. But they are almost certainly on their cell phones on this one

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I actually heard the NTSB when Value Jet crashed into the Everglades 1996. It was analog back in those days, encrypted and definitely a repeater. I've always assumed it was some sort of portable repeater as the operations area was in a remote part of the Everglades and the signal strength was very strong. I've had that frequency plugged into my scanner (in analog and digital modes) and haven't heard anything on it since then. BTW, the frequency was 165.750 MHz, but I never caught the PL tone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.