FRCC Grover site from DTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K0RUSinCO

I have my 436HP at work today, in the Tech Center, and am receiving the FRCC trunk system using a six-inch former (Kenwood TH-D7A) dual-band ham antenna quite nicely.

The wild thing is, I'm supposedly picking up the Grover site, which is in the Pawnee National Grassland quite a bit over 100 miles NW of where I am.

Now, I've seen band openings and skip on 2 meters, but this is up at 800 mHz! Looking at the control channel frequencies of all the sites, there are no overlaps, so I suppose this has to be true, but it seems crazy to me. I've also heard quite a lot of unknown TGs.

So, I guess, does this sound right?

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you have a PC handy (and the cable for the 436) upon which you could run a copy of PRO96Com? That would generate some additional information.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
I'm thinking he's hearing DTRS smoky hill. Smoky Hill and Grover are both assigned 853.175 and 853.875 MHz. Grover's CC is usually 853.175 while Smoky Hill uses 853.875.

K0RUSinCO

Any chance you have a PC handy (and the cable for the 436) upon which you could run a copy of PRO96Com? That would generate some additional information.

Not really - I have a Windows machine at home, but I seriously doubt I'll pick this up from there.

I don't think I knew that Pro96Com worked with the 436, though, that's interesting alone!

K0RUSinCO

I'm thinking he's hearing DTRS smoky hill. Smoky Hill and Grover are both assigned 853.175 and 853.875 MHz. Grover's CC is usually 853.175 while Smoky Hill uses 853.875.

Now that could make sense! So, Smoky Hill's control channel is on 853.175, I would hope? Or does the 436 listen to a control channel running on any frequency in the site? That would not be cool, but I bet that's what's going on.

K0RUSinCO

I think I figured it out - I recently redid my favorites lists and the one that FRCC is in had location control set to "off". Clearly I need to turn that " on" for FRCC so it won't hit that site. Thanks all, live and learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.