I'm in Spencer Van-Buren county tn. Local sheriff and city fee as stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvtech321

Hello to all and thanks for reading my post.
I am new here btw registration wise that is, but have visited the site many times over the years.

I'm in a very small town/county, not one traffic light lol.

Anyway me and almost everyone here listens to their scanner but over the past week or so it seems something has changed with the police frequencies as we never hear anything on them over the past week or so.

The main freq was 155.745 aka repeater out for our police.

Does anyone here have any info on this as it would be much appreciated.

jfhtm350

Their license shows analog voice. If you have a PL or DPL code programmed in, remove it and listen again. Sometimes they change.

Do you hear the EMS and Fire frequencies? Sometimes the police will use those if a repeater is out.

Tvtech321

Thanks for the reply but no dpl or the like issues .
It's not just me but literally hundreds here asking me about this problem.

Friend has a walkie that can key up the 155.545 repeater and it's active but no traffic on it at all

jfhtm350

The link KevinC posted shows motorola turbo emissions on all of them. More than likely they changed frequencies and radios. Tune to these frequencies without a PL or DPL code and listen for a digital sound:

If you don't hear anything on those, try these:

Go to this webpage and look for MOTOTRBO. That is the sound your listening for.
Digital Modes Samples

Tvtech321

Thanks and I will try those other freqs u gave.
And to jfhtm350 I think it was, yes fire and ems are working fine.
Just a note: the 154.725 freqs used to be van burn counties sheriff's main freq around ten yrs ago and it's was always full quieting and have no idea as to why they changed, however regardless of what it shows as one of the sheriff's dept freq of 154.725 it is and has been ems,s channel and has been for probably for ten yrs.
I think they took the old sheriff's dept,s freq of 154.725 and use it.
I am originally from west Palm Beach fl and 154.725 was the same freq the sheriff's department used over ten yrs ago before they went to the 800 Hz band
Again,thanks to all and will try those freqs and report back on what I find

Tvtech321

The link KevinC posted shows motorola turbo emissions on all of them. More than likely they changed frequencies and radios. Tune to these frequencies without a PL or DPL code and listen for a digital sound:

If you don't hear anything on those, try these:

Go to this webpage and look for MOTOTRBO. That is the sound your listening for.
Digital*Modes*Samples

Well, yes definitely computer data sounding on 154.2275 so far as I heard it w in 5 minutes after putting it in my baofeng uv-5ra portable ham radio.
So is that the frequency they are using now or is it a control ch sound I'm hearing?
Honestly it sounds almost like a semi diesel engine in idle position w a couple of changes here and there lol.

Thanks again for all urs info

Tvtech321

Ok, just checked the audio recordings in the link u provided and it's the sound or closest I've found and it's the MDC 4800 ARDIS SOUND.

Tvtech321

Ok, Again thanks for the replies and info.

So is it going to take one of those new AOR (or equiv) desktop scanners that cost around $1000 (OUCH!) To be able to hear the police again?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Ok, Again thanks for the replies and info.

So is it going to take one of those new AOR (or equiv) desktop scanners that cost around $1000 (OUCH!) To be able to hear the police again?

Not necessarily. DMR portables are cheap. You can get a TYT for less than 150 bucks. In fact you can use a couple of RTL Dongles that are about 20 bucks each. You just need to know the freq, color code, timeslot and talkgroup info to monitor it with a portable. You can use a dongle to find that info.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you're just wanting to listen than a tyt MD 380 will work fine. However you'll need to figure out all the info so you can program it. Or if you use the tyts stock firmware you will. If you used the hacked firmware you don't need to know the talkgroup but you will still need frequency, colorcode and timeslot.

Tvtech321

Here's a question, sorry but probably a stupid one at that but as noted above I have a baofeng uv-5r HT.

And was just wondering if it would decode as the tut does?

It probably doesn't but done hurt to as I guess as I know it has some type scrambling technique of its own that I've never even try to figure out or use.
Again TIA!!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It won't. That's an analog only radio. You'll need a digital one that is dmr capable.

Tvtech321

Well it looks as though I will have to get one of these tyt md380,s if I and many here want to continue to listen to the s.o.
So the question is how hard are these to program or better yet what do I need to look for and where do I find it?
Again, TIA FOR YALLS GREAT INFO!!

jfhtm350

If they are encrypted, which I assume nobody knows at this point, you will not be able to listen to them no matter what you get.

I've never programmed an actual radio but cmjonesinc said
"you need to know the freq, color code, timeslot and talkgroup info to monitor it with a portable. You can use a dongle to find that info."
So you will need a dongle setup to your computer to get that info unless you know someone that has one. That will also tell you if its encrypted or not.

Search for dongle and dsd+ software to get an idea of what your looking at.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Yeah without all that info it's a real shot in the dark. If you buy a $20 dongle or if you happen to have a tapped scanner you can plug it up to your computer and run dmr decode or something similar and if will give you all the info you need. There's a bit of a learning curve with a dongle but they're not that hard. Biggest thing with them is the factory antennas suck pretty bad. So unless you're fairly close to the transmitter or if you dont have a laptop to go mobile with I'd grab a better antenna. It doesn't have to be anything real fancy.

Tvtech321

Well thanks again for all the info.
I'm actually a computer tech for over 30+ years so using a dongle is no problem.

I got to listen to a two-way conversation of the sheriff's dept car I was sitting in and it was crystal clear as before w their old analog frequency in the location we were in, the Mobil radio most likely wouldn't even hit the repeater, even the officer who's car I was sitting in commented on that.
I know ur wondering what I was doing in a s.o car.
Just a quick answer to satisfy yalls curiosity.
Well this past Thursday morning the 7th I went to my best friends house and he wouldn't answer the door so i went on in to find him passed away on his couch, he was 59 and emt said he died of natural causes. Was a sad day as we been friends for over 20yrs.

Anyway, the s.o repeater is just two miles away and if I fly my drone just ten feet above my house w live on board cam I can see the repeater so no need for any special antenna.
Just need to know what type and where to buy the dongle and where to DL the sw?

Again thanks and TIA.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Links to get you started

This is the dongle I use now, currently out of stock but worth waiting for:

Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) - rtl-sdr.com

I also have NooElec dongles but they are not as stable and require large frequency correction values in the software, I don't recommend.

The software to run the radio in the dongle and decode the digital audio:

DSDPlus – Digital Decoder

The software to link the decoded audio to your sound card:

VB-Audio Virtual Cables

Do some research and read everything you can before you start setting things up. Since the dongles are out of stock you have time to educate yourself on the configuration requirements.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.