• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 2312 nuisance delete help

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemedic78

I have a question regarding my Kenwood tk-2312. This is the first time I have ever bought something other than Motorola, and I am hoping that I will be satisfied with this. Our department uses all Kenwood radios and they seem to be ok, so I thought I would go ahead and try a Kenwood radio since they are cheaper than Motorola. My question is, on the Motorola, during scan mode they have a nuisance delete option where you can just press the button, or press and hold a button, and it will temporarily lock that channel out if I don't want to keep hearing traffic on it. Is there a setting like this on the 2312? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. I have received the software and the programming cable, I just haven't received the radio yet. It is still in the shipping portion of that stage, but I have installed the software on one of my laptops, which is running Windows 7, but I am going to install it on my Windows 98 DOS laptop that I have all of my pager/radio programming software on, since some of my older Motorola radios, ht1000, requires a DOS system to program, and has the DB9 com port for my programming cable, but I did kind of go through the software after I installed it on my Windows 7 laptop and it looks fairly easy but I would just like to know how to program the nuisance delete setting if there is one. Thanks in advance.

Chris

SVFC462

Feed Provider
I don't have the software in front of me but .. Most for Kenwood radios you can assign a button to do that.

Menu - buttons - select the button you want to use.

I have A set up as my temp delete button. It drops it from the scan list until you either take it off scan and then start again or turn the radio off and then back on

BOUD

Farmington Communications Unit
Simsbury Fire Dispatch
Bloomfield Fire Fighter
Bloomfield Fire Communications

firemedic78

Still can't quite figure it out. There isn't much Under the scan tab. I did see some stuff under function key list. there is options for scan, options for scan asd/delete, so I guess I'm not sure which one to pick because I am not familiar with a Kenwood radio software programming stuff. So still accepting any more suggestions. Thanks.

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Send me an email and I'll take some screen shots for you. Ct462kbb@gmail.com

BOUD

Farmington Communications Unit
Simsbury Fire Dispatch
Bloomfield Fire Fighter
Bloomfield Fire Communications

evfd1625

You'll need to assign a function key for scan add/delete. With a button assigned to that, when scanning will be your nuisance delete. Once you stop and restart scanning the channel will be back in the scan list .

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

firemedic78

So what you're saying is, I can assign one function key for scan on and off. And then assign a second function key as the scan add/delete function, and while in scan mode I hit that add/delete button to temporarily locked out a nuisance Channel. On my Motorola, I have a ht1000 and an ht1250, the 1000 you just simply push the assigned side function button for nuisance delete. I have it set for the blue button on the top of the side. There is an actual option for nuisance delete for your side buttons in the RSS programming software, so I have that for my top blue button to just push it once while in scan mode and it deletes it. On my 1250, I have to push and hold the scan button while in scan mode until it beeps if it's locked on a channel that is constantly talking that I don't want to hear, or is constantly receiving squelch noises from my wireless router. Again, I think I understand what you're saying, you assign a function key for scan and then a second function key for scan add/delete. And once that is done you hit the scan add/delete to lockout any channel temporarily until you turn the scan on and off. It's basically the same as my Motorola accept on the Motorolas, the lockout Channel returns if I do anything with the radio, like hit the PTT, change the channel, or click one of the switches from A to B to C. On my 1250, basically any change other than adjusting the volume, that channel automatically comes back on to the scan list and then you have to push the blue button on the 1000, or push and hold the scan button on the 1250 to temp lock out the channel if it continues to become a nuisance. If I am incorrect please let me know, but I think I have the gist of it if I am understanding you correctly. Now, do I press and hold the function key assigned for scan add / delete, like on the ht1250, or do I just simply press it once like the HT 1000? Thanks for all your input.

Chris

evfd1625

When not in scan it allows you to add or delete channels on a remembered basis, as indicated by an upside down triangle by the channel name, while in scan a quick press of that same button will act the same as the nuisance delete on your previous radios. If I remember right, stopping scan and changing channels and power cycle are the only ways to get the channel to be undeleted from the nuisance button. But yes, one button scan, one button scan add/delete.

firemedic78

Ok my last question...setting my radio to alert for our tones.. first off, where do I enter my A/B tone codes, and what setting under the function key options do I choose to set off our tones from my radio so we can do reminder Pages without calling our County to have our County paging it out? All of our dept kenwood radios, including my own mot ht1250, can set off our tones from our radio..Second, I want the radio to alert while I am scanning(obviously I will set my county FD channel as my priority channel in scan mode), but I want it to alert while in scan or while just monitoring the county fd channel alone when our tones go off, and I also want to program a channel as pager mode, where it is silent until our tones go off, then alert me and stay open until I reset it....just like a pager... I think I understand it. If I want to add a pager Channel only, I have to program that into a separate Zone, because if I set it in zone 1 all of the channels in zone 1 will stay quiet until the proper PL tone is heard from our dispatch console and go off which obviously I don't want that for every channel in that zone, just our County Fire frequency, and I think that is the option and/or under the option signalling, or signaling option, whatever it's called, but I wanted to also alert me while I am scanning or just simply on our County Fire frequency while not scanning, but want to hear the whole County but still want our tones to alert when our pager tones go off. I hope I am not making this too difficult to understand. Basically I want it to act just like any other pager. When you're monitoring a channel to hear the whole County, alert me when are tones go off and then at night when I want to set it to alert mode only, Stay quiet until our tones go off and then alert me and stay open until I reset it to be quiet again.

evfd1625

The paging settings are in the zone settings on your pages you put the frequencies and channel names in. You'll have to configure it per zone and the open setting will require "or" and the closed setting will require "and" under the muting requirements for the zone. In the settings you'll have to set the tones up under the 2 tone option on the menu. Then you'll have to set up the optional signaling under the channel options menu like the zone.

firemedic78

How about being able to set off our pager tones from the radio. What setting is that under, and when I'm programming my frequencies, is the decode the receive PL tone and encode the transmit PL tone?

firemedic78

One more thing regarding setting tones off from radio....if this can be done, which function key setting do I click on to program a function key to set our tones off? On my ht1250, all I need to do is press and hold one of my front function keys until it beeps,approximately 3 seconds holding it in, then it goes to the encoding of my tones and all I have to do is hit the PTT button to send our tones off.

evfd1625

You'll need to find out the quick call tones from another radio or dispatch. You'll need an a tone and b tone. Once you put these into the 2 tone settings page you'll program a button for 2 tone or radio call I can't remember what it's called exactly.

firemedic78

I have my A and B tone codes already programmed into the software , I just need to know witch option to assign the function key that will enable the radio to set pages off either by hitting one of the function keys or the PTT. I went ahead and set one of my function keys as 2 tone, another one as call alert and I believe one as select call alert. Whichever one of those three it is, I would appreciate you letting me know so I can get rid of the other two options and assign something else to those two function keys. Also, regarding the second half of my earlier question, for my PL tones for Rx/Tx, after I entered in the frequency there is a collum that says decode and encode. I am assuming the decode column is the Rx pl tone or DPL tone that the radio needs to hear from a dispatch console or a another handheld radio that has the same PL / DPL., and not CSQ, open carrier, and the encode column I think would be for the individual radio Tx itself, so when I hit the PTT,my radio will transmit w/ the 146.2 pl tone code, but when I recieve, I have the decode collum set to none( assuming that is the Rx side of it). My example I'm going to use is our county fire frequency(Guthrie County, IA fire page, 154.2350 w/a pl of 146.2). The county added that PL tone when we switch to narrow band,, prior to narrowband, everything was open carrier squelch CSQ, and some other neighboring agencies that we monitor have also added pl tone codes, so I just want to make sure I programmed it correctly with the frequencies. For transmitting, I programmed the 146.2, under the encode, assumine, again, the encode programming collum is for Tx... if my assumption is correct, when I hit the PTT button, it will open up the dispatch consoles radio because it's connecting with the 146.2 pl, but under the decode column, I left it set to none, or CSQ, as some other people would call it. From what I understand I really don't need any encode pl/dpl on the recieve(Rx) side of things, it's just the Tx pl code I would program, if the channel or agency I'm wanting to talk to has a PL / DPL tone code installed in their radio system . This software doesn't say Tx or Rx, like my Motorola programming software does for my Motorola radios. I guess to make this as short and sweet as I possibly can, if I haven't already confused you or bored you to death reading all of this, I am assuming the decode is the same as Rx,, and the decode is the Tx. I am very sorry for making these lengthy threads. Again, as I stated in my original post, the Kenwood stuff is all brand new to me, and I'm hoping with time, just like the Motorola programming software, I will get better with this as time goes. I really appreciate everybody's patience and input. I will try and not post too many more questions, I just know and trust that this website is the best website in my opinion to get advice for programming radios, or for that matter, advice about anything regarding radios(two way receivers/transmitters, police scanners, and so on. Again I will try and not post too many more post's about this, I just want to make sure I have it all ready to go, that way when my radio gets here, all I have to do is plug my programming cable into the com port and program the radio. I have already gone into the software which I also installed on my Windows 98 DOS laptop, which is the laptop I use to program all of my Paging & radio stuff for the dept and programmed everything for the Kenwood radio when it gets here. My main features that I want is for the radio to set off our tones, to be alerted like a pager in silent mode until our pager tones are transmitted, and also be alerted when our tones are transmitted, whether I am monitoring the channel alone, or in scan mode. I got the priority channel thing figured out I think, I am using the option under the priority channel options drop-down menu "select", meaning with whatever channel I am on using the top rotating channel selector knob, next to the on and off power knob., I set it to make the priority channel alert me w/a tone when radio traffic is transmitted on whatever channel I have the channel selector on during scan mode as my priority channel, it will make an alert noise. As a default I have the timing set to revert back to the priority channel every two seconds, just like my Motorola radios do when I am scanning and there is traffic that pops up on my priority channel while in scan mode. The other big deal was the nuisance delete, and I think I have got that figured out too, and all of this is from everyone's help on this website. If I have any more questions I know I can resort to you guys and gals. Hopefully there won't be too many more and I can get it figured out eventually. Any more advice or programming tips that you think I might like, please feel free to post them here, but right now my main concern is Rx, Tx codes put in the right place.

firemedic78

Basically I just need to know the difference between
the QT/DQT decode tone and QT/DQT encode tone. Which one do I want to program my PL / DPL to Tx? I am not worried about the Rx end of it. On all of my radio's, I keep the Rx open, or CSQ(Carrier squelch) meaning even if the dispatch console or another handheld radio or Base radio has a PL or DPL tone code programmed in their Tx settings, with my Rx being on open carrier squelch I will still hear everything( and yes, unfortunately our county as well as two other bordering counties use the same law enforcement Ops frequency), but after the narrowband programming was done, one of them added a PL tone code for Tx, so keeping my radio on carrier squelch open, I can hear everything including both counties walking all over each other, but when a deputy or one of us transmits, only our county can hear us, because I have the pl tone code programmed in my Tx settings for when I transmit, and that's what I'm wanting to figure out. Which column do I put the Tx pl code in(QT/DQT decode, or QT/DQT encode? The PL / DPL tones are in the drop-down list. It's either decode or encode column that I need to program the Tx pl tone code for the specific channels that use the pl/dpl codes for Tx. I could very well be wrong, but I am assuming the decode is for the Rx side, and the encode is for the Tx side, but please correct me if I'm wrong so I can get it's programmed correctly. Thanks.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I could very well be wrong, but I am assuming the decode is for the Rx side, and the encode is for the Tx side, but please correct me if I'm wrong so I can get it's programmed correctly. Thanks.
You are not wrong. Encode is used for transmit on every radio ever made that has CTCSS, PL, QT. Those all mean the same thing...

Decode is used for receiving, always.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
To send out a two tone sequence you just set up the A B tones in the Encode tab of the 2 Tone menu. Then set a button for 2 Tone.

Press the 2 Tone button (if you have more than one set, press the left or right arrow to choose) and then hit PTT. Easy as that.

firemedic78

Thank you all very much. I think I've got most of what I need. If I need any more help I know I can count on you guys and gals. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

DJ11DLN

Some really good info in this thread.

2312's are great radios, I think you'll come to like it even if you've got an /\/\ preference! We've had great luck with ours so far. They're very flexible, very capable units, also pretty rugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.