• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best 2' - 3' Antenna

Best Short Antenna

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I want opinions on 24" to 36" mobile antennas.

I've only seen Solarcon A-110 and A-111 and TruckSpec TS-536 (RoadPro RP-550) for whips.

Fiberglass has many more options:
Firestik FL3-W
Wilson 305-482
K40 SF-200W
Francis 300-CB22W
TruckSpec TSPS-2W (RoadPro RPPS-2W)

All of the above brands except for FireStik are owned by DAS Companies, Inc. I'll probably stay away from TruckSpec/RoadPro unless someone speaks very highly of them.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Larsen Nmo27S would be my choice. :wink: 73, n9zas

Retroradio

Wilson all the way for me. Although not a whip have run Wilson mag mounts on 11meters for a couple for decades and don't run anything else.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber

geartow

I like the everhardt tiger antennas for fiberglass. We stock both 2 ft and 3 ft at work we break them a lot on the tow trucks . These are cheap $10 and work well for talking truck to truck for a couple.miles.

KC2GIU

Just my 2-cents.

Steel whip antennas hold up very well to icing as in ICE STORM conditions. Fiberglass will fatigue, crack or just break when driving around while it's encased in solid ice due to vibration or getting bumped.

If you don't live where ice storms happen, then fiberglass would work just fine.

TheSpaceMann

Wilson all the way for me. Although not a whip have run Wilson mag mounts on 11meters for a couple for decades and don't run anything else.
I actually have the lill' Will and it works very well. I have even used it on 10 meters mounted on an air conditioner from the inside of a hotel room, and I was able to make several contacts over 1,500 miles away on 25 Watts SSB!! :)

FiveFilter

My magnet-mount K30 made by K40 works well with about a 35-inch whip. It's about the same as the Wilson Lil Wil. I can get in my garage with it mounted on the trunk. Very convenient indeed.

BBB007

A 24" Firestick II (2) will work. These are tune-able from the top but most importantly usually need one or two 4" Steel Spring mounts underneath to tune properly for lowest VSWR. (shh, its a secret) The Spring Mount also helps the antenna rebound from tree impacts. So order a couple of those with the antenna.

Amazon.com : Firestik II FS-2BK 2 feet 300 Watt FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 1 Each - Black : Automotive Cb Radios And Scanners : Automotive

Amazon.com: LOT OF 2 (TWO) Firestik SS-3M Medium Duty Stainless Steel CB Radio Antenna Spring: Automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.