PRO-651 and PRO-652 CPU Update 2.9 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I was just on the Radio Shack website checking the current price for the PRO-651 scanner ($299.99 BTW) and noticed that there was a CPU update available for download! This must have been posted quite recently as I never noticed it before. Here's the link to the PRO-651 scanner's page: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-pro-651-handheld-radio-scanner?variant=5717071749

Here's the direct link to the CPU update version 2.9: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0953/5270/files/CPUUpdater_0651_U2.9_1.ex?4873670172455106556

I downloaded the file and noticed that there was an error in its file name. After you download it you will notice that it is a ".ex" file. You have to change that to ".exe" and the file will then work just fine. When you click on the .exe file you will see that it is valid for both the PRO-651 and PRO-652 scanners and will update the CPU to version 2.9.

I hope this helps out those that have been looking/waiting for this CPU update for their PRO-651 and PRO-652 scanners. It would probably be a good idea to download the update ASAP and keep a copy of it in a safe place in case it disappears from the Radio Shack website.

AtlasFBG2

Thanks!

I check the RS site once in awhile and had not noticed it.

Just unbricked a couple of 651 i got off ebay awhile.ago.

AtlasFBG2

What is gained by updating ?

All that is gained by updating is:
* EDACS ESK detection fixes

Really dont need the update if you dont listen to edacs systems.

However those people that have a bricked scanner can use the update to get the scanner working again.

budevans

Rename the file to run it.

I need help to get files to open

Per trp2525, the first post in this thread. You have to rename the file extension from ex to exe

"I downloaded the file and noticed that there was an error in its file name. After you download it you will notice that it is a ".ex" file. You have to change that to ".exe" and the file will then work just fine. When you click on the .exe file you will see that it is valid for both the PRO-651 and PRO-652 scanners and will update the CPU to version 2.9"

To rename the file in Windows Explorer. Right mouse click on the file and then select (left mouse click) Rename

Add the e to the end of the file and hit the Enter/Return key on your keyboard.

You should now be able to run the file.

bears3312

I got mine running again thanks soo much no more bricked for me

my 396 xt sounds different then my 651 radio im loving my 651 just do the update pluged mine in and let it do its thing and booom it works thanks radio shack and I got my cpu update stored in a file so I wont loose it
thanks everybuddy now all the bricked 651 can work
thanks bears3312

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
All my 651/652's updated without issue yesterday. Just seems odd it's not on the 652 page as well.

Gotta love the eBay entrepreneur who is offering un-bricking for $40 :)

bears3312

my 396 xt sounds different then my 651 radio im loving my 651 just do the update pluged mine in and let it do its thing and booom it works thanks radio shack and I got my cpu update stored in a file so I wont loose it
thanks everybuddy now all the bricked 651 can work
thanks bears3312

does any buddy how to clean lens my scanner 651 been sitting almost dusty
thanks bears3312

Nasby

All my 651/652's updated without issue yesterday. Just seems odd it's not on the 652 page as well.

Gotta love the eBay entrepreneur who is offering un-bricking for $40 :)

I feel sorry for that guy. I think he spent a lot of time figuring out how to unbrick them.

But his timing is just a bit off.

trp2525

It's not listed on the RS page for the Pro-652. Wonder why?

I would suspect that whoever posted this update on the Radio Shack website is asleep at the wheel and not paying any attention at all to the details. It doesn't make any sense to have an update that applies to the PRO-651 and PRO-652 and ONLY post it on the PRO-651 scanner page. I didn't find out it actually applied to both scanners until I opened up the downloaded file. That's why I posted the thread as applying to both scanners.

Also why did I (as the end-user) have to figure out and change the file extension of the downloaded file from .ex to .exe before the file would run? Didn't anyone from Radio Shack test the uploaded file to see if it would run after posting it to their website?

It would have been a nice touch if Radio Shack had also posted a set of step-by-step instructions to complete the CPU update process. Let's face it, not everybody is technically savvy when it comes to the little technical things about computers and scanners. The "old" Radio Shack used to post those instructions. Thankfully we have a great forum here at RR where we can help each other out.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I feel sorry for that guy. I think he spent a lot of time figuring out how to unbrick them.

But his timing is just a bit off.

All he figured out was to download the fw update. The auction went up yesterday ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.