Illinois State Police advances communications consolidation plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyC

Illinois State Police (ISP) officials today announced plans to further advance the agency’s multi-phase radio communications consolidation plans designed to unify technological resources and reduce ISP radio operating costs.

Illinois State Police advances communications consolidation plans | RiverBender.com

This explains the chatter I caught on Radio Techs 1A (9142) the other day in reference to updating the consoles with the "D5/DCG" templates :)

I know D17 was supposed to be rolled up into D1 last year but it hasn't happened yet. D17 is still being dispatched from LaSalle and hasn't made the switchover yet. D7 has

N9JIG

Sheriff
So the way it seems to shake out is that there will be dispatch facilities at:

1 Sterling (1, 7, 16, 17)
C Chicago (2, Chicago, 5)
6 Pontiac (6, 8, 10, 21)
9 Springfield (9, 14, 20)
11 Collinsville (11, 18)
13 DuQuoin (12, 13, 19, 22)

I think also that 15 will remain self-dispatched at Downers Grove ("Oak Brook") for the Tollways.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
This explains the chatter I caught on Radio Techs 1A (9142) the other day in reference to updating the consoles with the "D5/DCG" templates :)

I know D17 was supposed to be rolled up into D1 last year but it hasn't happened yet. D17 is still being dispatched from LaSalle and hasn't made the switchover yet. D7 has

Has 16 switched over yet? I thought they would've at the same time 7 did but they were still calling into Rockford last I heard about a month ago.

N9JIG

Sheriff
They may still continue to call into their home districts even if the dispatchers have moved to the consolidated center, either out of habit or procedure.

After Districts 3 and 4 merged the second time into District Chicago troopers still called into "Crestwood" for a long time.

jcook11

Feed Provider
When D8 switched from Peoria to Pontiac, they started calling Pontiac immediately. You'd think all of the districts would want to be consistent in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
They may still continue to call into their home districts even if the dispatchers have moved to the consolidated center, either out of habit or procedure.

After Districts 3 and 4 merged the second time into District Chicago troopers still called into "Crestwood" for a long time.

You're right, after 7 switched there were more than a few cars that said Rock Island out of habit for a month or so. However, I should've been more clear, 16 was confirmed calling in to Rockford, both by who answered and by radio console IDs.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Another thing to consider is that they are likely to move consoles from the old Comm Center to the new one so the console ID's may carry over unless they are reprogrammed. I don't know if the RID's follow the console hardware or not.

Just more wrenches to throw in when figuring it all out...

nick223

Feed Provider
D5 is completely consolidated as you will hear them call out "Chicago 5-xx" Every district is consolidated now except for D17 (LaSalle) with a target time frame is october 2016 which they will be going to D-1 (Sterling)

N9JIG

Sheriff
Thanks Nick!

I just wonder when they will discuss further consolidations, for both communications and the districts themselves.

I can see ISP moving to 3 Comm Centers, Chicago, Springfield and Collinsville as well as consolidating the Districts into 10 or less.

nick223

Feed Provider
Thanks Nick!

I just wonder when they will discuss further consolidations, for both communications and the districts themselves.

I can see ISP moving to 3 Comm Centers, Chicago, Springfield and Collinsville as well as consolidating the Districts into 10 or less.

That would get interesting if they did that

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Nick!

I could see that as well. I had heard D-Chicago was cramped in their workspace with Cook County at the Des Plaines facility, but according to Cook County ETSB minutes, ISP is in the process of relocating. The additional TCs probably could not have been brought in before, but if there's more room then there's no reason it couldn't happen.

MikeyC

Out here in D17 Point-to-Point (155.3700 CSQ) is used fairly frequently for contact between ISP and local PDs and SOs. With the dispatchers eventually moving to Sterling, anyone know if there's a plan for remote receivers in the district HQs or anything like that?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I could see that as well. I had heard D-Chicago was cramped in their workspace with Cook County at the Des Plaines facility, but according to Cook County ETSB minutes, ISP is in the process of relocating. The additional TCs probably could not have been brought in before, but if there's more room then there's no reason it couldn't happen.

Did these minutes say they were relocating within the building or elsewhere?

It has been a year and a half since I have been in the Maine North facility, interesting place.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber

N9JIG

Sheriff
(From the CC ETSB Minutes) Staff has compiled a list of future costs that would be needed for expansion for ISP’s side of the room that includes the infrastructure to support an additional 14 positions. This would ensure that the Communications Center would be in a position to accept other agencies for consolidation. Other existing centers do not have the space to expand and will be limited in their ability to consolidate with other agencies.

It looks like they are staying in the same room, just adding capacity.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I found in the July minutes that the ISP's facility was to be relocated to the first floor of the Maine North facility:

The Illinois State Police has plans to relocate their Communications Center to the first floor of the building next to the watch commander. This provides Cook County with the opportunity to expand and occupy the entire room and the ability to add an additional 16 answering positions. The 911 center would have 40 answering positions second only to the City of the Chicago in size for 911 centers.

Makes sense. There is actually a lot of room at this building, a former high school. If you ever watched "The Breakfast Club" you have seen the inside and outside of the place...

Status
Not open for further replies.