Splitter for an outdoor antenna, 700-800mhz range

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Hi folks,

I'm looking to install an outdoor Yagi antenna in the 700-800mhz range, but I want to split the signal to two Uniden BCD996XT's.

I'll be using RG6 coax which I already have plenty of, as well as the F connectors and a crimper. My idea is to run a single cable indoors, and split it right next to the scanners.

Can I use a good quality CableTV splitter which is rated up to 1000mhz with 3.5db loss per leg to accomplish this, or is a specialty splitter necessary?

Any advice & links to recommended product is appreciated.

Thanks!

kf9rr

Should Work Fine

That's what I do with my scanners. I use one exterior antenna for several scanners with little apparent loss of signal. Should work fine for you.

Voyager

Looks like you know what you're doing. The splitter will match the connectors.

Just make sure your splitter goes high enough in frequency and don't pinch pennies on it. I might look for one that goes well above 1000 MHz.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I've successfully used a bi-directional cable TV amp, one input to four outputs, to distribute the antenna signal to multiple scanners. Just make sure the amp covers the intended frequency ranges.

rbm

Hi folks,

I'm looking to install an outdoor Yagi antenna in the 700-800mhz range, but I want to split the signal to two Uniden BCD996XT's.

I'll be using RG6 coax which I already have plenty of, as well as the F connectors and a crimper. My idea is to run a single cable indoors, and split it right next to the scanners.

Can I use a good quality CableTV splitter which is rated up to 1000mhz with 3.5db loss per leg to accomplish this, or is a specialty splitter necessary?

Thanks!

Use only good quality splitters that cover the range you require.
Use good cable and connectors.

If you need any amplification, use the minimum that will suit your needs.
If you're in an 'RF rich' environment, you may wind up with problems.

The photo below shows one example.
I use four of these to feed up to 32 radios per antenna.
I have six antennas and all but one of them has a pre-amp right at the antenna, and splitters inside.
The other antenna is used for reference.

In that photo, there's also an inline preamp.
That was only used to take to a friends house to show him what that would do.

My feed on Broadcastify is one of the 32 radios fed by one antenna.
With an LNA-1000 pre-amp mounted right at the base of the antenna.
The feedline is around 100' of solid center conductor RG-6 cable.
The connectors are compression PPC EX6XL type connectors.
You can listen to my feed and see that it's CLEAN! ;)

Rich

Last edited:

Voyager

I've successfully used a bi-directional cable TV amp, one input to four outputs, to distribute the antenna signal to multiple scanners. Just make sure the amp covers the intended frequency ranges.

How do you keep the noise being generated by the receivers from being amplified and transmitted out the antennas?

rwier

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks,

Thanks!

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/221395-gre-pre-amp.html

Schumi1978

Premium Subscriber
I third the Stridsberg. It's pricey but in my view you get what you pay for.

Been running a four port BNC Stridsberg multicoupler driving two Nooelec RTL-SDRs used with DSD+, a BCD436HP and at times a Tytera MD-380 when I'm docked at home with it. Superb performance and happy with every penny spent.

Be sure to purchase quality connectors/jumpers as well to complete the setup.

I'm in Northern California (Silicon Valley) which as been known to be a high RF area and has known to cause issues with people. I cover all sorts of systems from P25 P1, P25 P2, Motorola Type II SmartZone, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, LTR Std. to conventional analog. I've been running with this back-end configuration for about six months now and have not had one issue during that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.