Strange Affiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I understand the concept of affiliation on the MARCS system. This, however, should be a temporary event when a user is out of their home area. I have been picking up 19525 Auburn / Parkman / Troy Fire Dispatch from Geauga county on the Canton MARCS IP tower for well over a week. I can only assume that an EMS unit brought someone to a Canton hospital. However, a transport across two counties is not usually something a fire department does and why is it still showing up a week later?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I understand the concept of affiliation on the MARCS system. This, however, should be a temporary event when a user is out of their home area. I have been picking up 19525 Auburn / Parkman / Troy Fire Dispatch from Geauga county on the Canton MARCS IP tower for well over a week. I can only assume that an EMS unit brought someone to a Canton hospital. However, a transport across two counties is not usually something a fire department does and why is it still showing up a week later?

Mobiles and portables reaffiliate more often, so it's probably a control station at a fixed location; a radio generally won't switch to a new site unless signal strength from a different site is two levels better than the site it's currently on, or the radio is turned off then on again, forcing it to reaffiliate. Sometimes propagation can cause a radio to affiliate to a site it normally wouldn't, and unless it finds a much stronger site, or is forced to reaffiliate, it will hang out on the distant site until then.

Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

mszabo2000

Maybe a member of a Geauga FD lives in Stark and is monitoring traffic when off duty. Not an ideal situation as it unnecessarily ties up a resource but difficult to prevent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

radioron231

Best answer is that someone from those agencies or a nearby agency lives with in 20 miles of the tower you listen to.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Swipesy

I have been receiving Chardon PD Dispatch (Geauga Co) off the Toledo Tower the last few days. That's a good 100 Mi from Toledo.

That is strange indeed. Chardon Pd dispatches their own units while Chardon Fd is dispatched by the Geauga Sheriff Dispatch Center. Chardon is the highest point above sea level in Ohio so maybe that has something to do with it. Their signal may shoot down Lake Erie unobstucted.

nsrailfan6130

That is strange indeed. Chardon Pd dispatches their own units while Chardon Fd is dispatched by the Geauga Sheriff Dispatch Center. Chardon is the highest point above sea level in Ohio so maybe that has something to do with it. Their signal may shoot down Lake Erie unobstucted.
Could be. The other strange thing I got was the Shipley Building in Columbus and that too is at least 100 mi. That was the day before yesterday I think it was. You know there has to be some sort of obstruction between there and Toledo.

kf8yk

I have been receiving Chardon PD Dispatch (Geauga Co) off the Toledo Tower the last few days. That's a good 100 Mi from Toledo.

A Chardon PD portable radio didn't properly de-affiliate from Toledo, this issue was corrected.

kf8yk

Chardon Pd dispatches their own units while Chardon Fd is dispatched by the Geauga Sheriff Dispatch Center.

Chardon PD dispatches for both Chardon PD & FD.

Chardon FD does cover areas (Chardon Twp & 1/2 of Clairdon Twp) where the Sheriff is the primary PSAP. For fire calls in this area the Sheriff will take the call & do an initial dispatch then the call is transferred to Chardon PD. Both Chardon PD & the Sheriff share a CAD system so a call can easily be started in one PSAP & picked up by another.

phask

Premium Subscriber

I think you will finf that Chardon is far from the highest spot in Ohio. Maybe highest town or something.

Highest peaks in Ohio , by county

Ohio County High Points - Peakbagger.com

- I was surprised by some of these myself -

Swipesy

Chardon PD dispatches for both Chardon PD & FD.

Chardon FD does cover areas (Chardon Twp & 1/2 of Clairdon Twp) where the Sheriff is the primary PSAP. For fire calls in this area the Sheriff will take the call & do an initial dispatch then the call is transferred to Chardon PD. Both Chardon PD & the Sheriff share a CAD system so a call can easily be started in one PSAP & picked up by another.

Well now if anybody should know you would, lol. However, my information came directly off of the Geauga County Sheriff's Office website, Communications tab. The website leads one to believe that the Sherrif Office is the exclusive dispatcher of Chardon Fire. Guess you can't believe what you see in print, even from the Sheriff's office.

budevans

Not likely, but possible

You are not receiving signals from 100 miles away. There is a radio on that TG affiliating with your local site.

You're probably right, but it's possible... Way back in 2010 when the MARCs-IP Cuyahoga County site (Wilson Mills Road and SOM) was being setup the first signal reception reports came from user Thunderbolt in Ann Arbor Michigan. That's well over 100 miles.

Myself and others in Cuyahoga and surrounding counties had no reception. I live roughly 15 miles from that first site. Only one person in Cuyahoga County reported getting a signal and it was weak. As it turned out, what Thunderbolt received was the very first transmissions. Just a terrain and location issue. Several weeks after Thunderbolts report, additional towers came online and the rest is history.

Here's the link to Thunderbolts post: http://forums.radioreference.com/oh...ed-new-marcs-ip-talkgroups-3.html#post1415870

Status
Not open for further replies.