• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB still useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten my amateur technician license recently and am enjoying the hobby. But despite all the capabilities it offers over CB I still find myself pulling out the HAM mobile radio and installing my CB whenever I travel distances on the interstate. It's still one of the best ways to get immediate information about highway traffic conditions, road closings and accidents. It's also the easiest way to communicate in a convoy with unlicensed friends. I suppose when I upgrade my HAM license it will open up access to the HF bands and I won't have to program 200 repeaters into my radio to communicate when crossing through states, but it still won't offer the immediate information access CB radio does. Just sharing my conclusions after using both.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
CB is great for your application! Ham radio is too formal for quick chats, and carefree talk.

Last edited:

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
I love CB.

I'm a General Class Ham, and I use CB, GMRS, Marine Band. I never understood Hams eschewing other forms of radio, just because they have a Ham ticket.

Delta

PACNWDude

CB radio has remained useful for me, as many off road parks still have loads of vehicles equipped with CB's. Not everyone has jumped to FRS/GMRS or MURS or something else. There are many people that like having a huge antenna hanging off of their truck.

The other day I saw a pretty beat up Chevy pickup on this "off-road" park road. He had the big towing mirrors and then one CB antenna hanging off of each. There was no cable and no radio. So I asked what those were for. The response was that they looked "cool". I then said it would be more useful to actually have a radio hooked to them, as many people were using them that day.

TheSpaceMann

For some reason, it seems that CB is starting to become more popular lately. As i travel across the country on business, I'm hearing more and more locals chatting with each other.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
CB radio has remained useful for me, as many off road parks still have loads of vehicles equipped with CB's. Not everyone has jumped to FRS/GMRS or MURS or something else. There are many people that like having a huge antenna hanging off of their truck.

The other day I saw a pretty beat up Chevy pickup on this "off-road" park road. He had the big towing mirrors and then one CB antenna hanging off of each. There was no cable and no radio. So I asked what those were for. The response was that they looked "cool". I then said it would be more useful to actually have a radio hooked to them, as many people were using them that day.

FRS/GMRS/MURS all have very limited range compared to CB, unless you're using a repeater, which I think you can only do with GMRS. Like amature radio, GMRS requires a license and introduces restrictive rules and regulations.

I know guys that use the 102" CB antenna on their off-road vehicles, that have no radio. They put a bright orange flag on them so others see them coming, or where they're at.

sjgostovich

I don't road trip anywhere without a Cobra HG 1500 mag mount antenna and my Midland 75-822. It's by far the best way to get road updates. Here in WI the state patrol still monitors channel 9 as well.

TheSpaceMann

I don't road trip anywhere without a Cobra HG 1500 mag mount antenna and my Midland 75-822. It's by far the best way to get road updates. Here in WI the state patrol still monitors channel 9 as well.
A lot of Highway Patrols in the Western US are still monitoring 9 and 19 as well.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
The 11 meter CB band is just a great all around band..Great for local rag chewing BS sessions, or toss some fire in the wire and talk across the country.. Tie a few bucks into it and freebanding opens up another whole new world as well.. The skies the limit!!!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.

My antipathy toward CB is based primarily on the fact that in my general area, if conditions are favorable at all to be able to use the radio to communicate, then it's a 40 channel snowstorm chock full of idiots who are cranking out so much power that they make your refrigerator talk and you can almost see the ionization in the air around their antennas. I HAVE, in fact, seen some guy sitting in his pickup truck by the river and he was transmitting enough power that the tip of his antenna was glowing red. All these loudmouthed "good buddies" seem to have nothing to do but to jam the airwaves and tell you what you can do with your request to get a break to talk to a friend who's travelling with you. Your life must indeed be a pathetic thing if your "hobby" is to badly tune and overmodulate an illegal imported Galaxy "10/11 meter" rig with a 3000 watt power amp, key up your D104 run through a delay and echo box, and scream "Audio, audio, audio!" into the mic at the top of your drunken lungs for hours at a time.

It's people like that who make me wish that the United States Air Force would equip all its aircraft with HARM missiles tuned to automatically launch and track and destroy any detected transmitter operating between 26.9650 MHz to 27.4050 MHz and with an ERP of greater than 50 watts.

My antipathy for CB is almost as intense as my antipathy toward corrupt politicians. For the reasons stated.

Hopefully, and possibly, CB is more useful in your area. In which case, great. Use it if it's useful. Around my neck of the woods, it is NOT thanks to the aforementioned class of dolts.

TheSpaceMann

There is another good thing about CB that is consistent. Even when the band is open for skip during the day, it usually quiets down after sunset which makes it useful for local communications.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I use it while offroading in my Jeep, in fact they come in handy when you need a hand on a trail. There's just some places cell phones don't cover.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I keep one in my jeep (against my better judgement). If I want to talk to people I know, we use VHF and move the rockers to ؅do more listening than anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT

Seeing as you say it's an old truck, at one time there was a radio in it. I know hams and 11 meter people who just never took the antennas off their vehicle after they got out of the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.