Windows 10 upgraded by itself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

I know this sounds nuts but here goes. I'm using the computer for logging my QSO's earlier then right before my eyes I saw a little window open up then the screen goes blue and it says loading Windows 10 update. I didn't even touch the mouse it just did it by itself. So now my computer has Windows 10. I was very nervous but it appears like I didn't lose one file. Navigating around is another thing. I had no problem keeping my Windows 7 but I think I like this new operating system. Who knew.

Last edited:

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations, Microsoft knows what you need better than you do. You can uninstall the upgrade, but they will probably force install it again when you aren't looking this time.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
All of my machines have the 10 install scripts removed…10 is not a business solution and sucks for doing IT and radio work. Like the rest of the comms industry, I plan on riding 7 until EOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2OY

All of my machines have the 10 install scripts removed…10 is not a business solution and sucks for doing IT and radio work. Like the rest of the comms industry, I plan on riding 7 until EOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what your telling me is I'm going to run into problems updating my scanners...ect. It gave me a option to downgrade it but at that point I figured I would give Windows 10 a shot.

toastycookies

So what your telling me is I'm going to run into problems updating my scanners...ect. It gave me a option to downgrade it but at that point I figured I would give Windows 10 a shot.

I have never had a problem programming my scanner or over a dozen LMR and ham radios.

Not sure why some people cannot figure out how to use it?

QDP2012

I know this sounds nuts but here goes. I'm using the computer for logging my QSO's earlier then right before my eyes I saw a little window open up then the screen goes blue and it says loading Windows 10 update. I didn't even touch the mouse it just did it by itself. So now my computer has Windows 10. I was very nervous but it appears like I didn't lose one file. Navigating around is another thing. I had no problem keeping my Windows 7 but I think I like this new operating system. Who knew.

In this earlier thread Windows 10 will keep spying on you no matter how hard you try to stop it (Post #44) are similar reports, and links to tools that can help prevent Windows 10 from installing.

Hope this helps,

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
When I upgraded my desktop computer, I kept my old Windows 7 box. It sits in the corner unplugged.

I have Windows 10 on my main computer and my laptop. I like it and have never had any real problems. But, should I ever need to run something that doesn't play well with Win10, I can just dig it out the old one and use it.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I have never had a problem programming my scanner or over a dozen LMR and ham radios.

Not sure why some people cannot figure out how to use it?

It's not a question of figuring out how to use it, it's more a matter of MS removing some very common and critical support from the new operating system...

...such as no CD or DVD support at all!

Project25_MASTR

It's not a question of figuring out how to use it, it's more a matter of MS removing some very common and critical support from the new operating system...

...such as no CD or DVD support at all!

Or the fact many modern two way coms devices are going to 802.x for programming interfaces...Motorola doesn't support Windows 10 for TRBO or Apex CPS and there's actually a thread about it under the Motorola sub.

delaware74b

You have 30 days from the 'upgrade' install to roll it back to your original OS. If you didn't make a complete recovery disc set, you will not be able to recover after the 30 days. WinX will remove all traces of your original OS (it deletes your original OS's partition).

I had made the recovery disc set for my Win7 laptop before I upgraded to WinX. After 2 months, I went back to Win7. I grabbed all my data, wiped the hard drive, and reinstalled Win7 from the recovery disc set.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You have 30 days from the 'upgrade' install to roll it back to your original OS. If you didn't make a complete recovery disc set, you will not be able to recover after the 30 days. WinX will remove all traces of your original OS (it deletes your original OS's partition).

I had made the recovery disc set for my Win7 laptop before I upgraded to WinX. After 2 months, I went back to Win7. I grabbed all my data, wiped the hard drive, and reinstalled Win7 from the recovery disc set.

See the first link in my post #3 in this thread:
How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

You don't need a complete recovery disc set. The Windows 10 installation saves everything you need to roll back to your previous Windows.

AC2OY

So I have to make back up disc or discs of Windows 10 in case it crashes? Oh joy. I have a external hard drive my wife bought 100 gig I think. Every now and then I'll back up the stuff on my PC that I don't want to loose. Now I try to back up my ham radio log file. That would stink if I lost that. I did once and typed everything back in from my paper log. So far so good Windows 10 is ok it's just navigating around and finding everything for me. I had no clue where the control panel was so I typed it in the discover box and it appeared I think. I'm slow but eventually I'll get there I suppose.😊

kb8lkh

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 isn't that bad...

Windows 10 really isn't that bad.

As long as a person goes in and turns everything off (security risks), and only turns them on when needed.

Like? Cortana... Location... WiFi password sharing. I don't remember the entire list, but do a google search, You'll find it.

...And yes, there will be a small group of you who will say, "Oh, but we shouldn't have to do all that." You'll get over it.

As far as programming, and playing radio... I really haven't had a problem with it.

I can program my Kenwood TK760HG and 860HG no problem. Wouxun KG UVD1P, no problem Kenwood TM-V71A, no problem. BCD396XT no problem.

Now of corse I can't program my Motorola VHF and UHF MT2000s on Windows 10. I have other means for doing that.

I play HF and VHF/UHF SDR, no problem

Computer logging, no problem.

Yes, I suppose some of the newer commercial two way stuff may have issues, or not even "play" at all.

I have an older Dell Inspirion Dual Core, no problem.
A Next Book Quad Core 2 n 1 tablet, no problem.
An older Acer ZG5 Net Book, no problem.

I have had Windows 10 since the end of July 2015, and I really like it. It's just a matter of knowing winch "parts" you need to disable, and only enable AS needed.

DAN, KB8LKH

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

As long as a person goes in and turns everything off (security risks), and only turns them on when needed.

Like? Cortana... Location... WiFi password sharing. I don't remember the entire list, but do a google search, You'll find it.

...And yes, there will be a small group of you who will say, "Oh, but we shouldn't have to do all that." You'll get over it.

As far as programming, and playing radio... I really haven't had a problem with it.

I can program my Kenwood TK760HG and 860HG no problem. Wouxun KG UVD1P, no problem Kenwood TM-V71A, no problem. BCD396XT no problem.

Now of corse I can't program my Motorola VHF and UHF MT2000s on Windows 10. I have other means for doing that.

I play HF and VHF/UHF SDR, no problem

Computer logging, no problem.

Yes, I suppose some of the newer commercial two way stuff may have issues, or not even "play" at all.

I have an older Dell Inspirion Dual Core, no problem.
A Next Book Quad Core 2 n 1 tablet, no problem.
An older Acer ZG5 Net Book, no problem.

I have had Windows 10 since the end of July 2015, and I really like it. It's just a matter of knowing winch "parts" you need to disable, and only enable AS needed.

DAN, KB8LKH

Every radio you listed uses serial communications for programming. Not the newer 802.3 methods found in Kenwood's NX lines, Motorola's TRBO and Apex lines, Simoco's 700 series (and 600 series repeaters), Harris' XL line, anyone doing any WISP work (especially since many newer computers don't have hardware NICs), and Aviat's lack of actually supporting anything other than 32 bit operating systems (IP side works fine on 64 bit, the serial driver only works with 32 bit for the record).

That being said, there's nothing wrong with Windows 10 at the consumer level. It's just a pain to work with in the enterprise level (which is why many businesses are still purchasing Windows 7 downgrades). Extended (enterprise) support for Windows 7 ends in 2020...mainstream (consumer) support for Windows 10 also ends in 2020. So how Windows 10 actually gets implemented will be interesting to see in the communications industry...especially since nearly a year after mainstream support has ended for 7 next to none of the major players have even begun to support 10. Did I mention the US government is still paying for extended (private) support of XP from Microsoft?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

While Windows 7 is still my go-to system, along with Linux Mint, I do have Windows 10 configured in a VM (virtual machine). The VM runs under Linux, and is pretty safe, and isolated from doing any harm, and allows me to test and evaluate it.

Out of the box, the standard installation seems very cluttered to me. Lots of useless foofoo aps, to thrill and entertain the smart phone addicts.

With regards to security, and privacy, I'm not convinced that turning all those options off, it totally eliminating the breech. But it's also naive of us to think that Windows 7 has not been invading our privacy from day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.