436HP ProVoice - MBTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note, Had not seen it discussed here..

For the hell of it I upgraded my 436 to activate ProVoice, even though im near the quabbin,
But i do travel through the I93/95/495/90 areas 4-6 times a month.

Had the 436 out last night while I was rolling around the greater boston area.

In my opinion,,

Stock antenna, inside my truck..

fairly clear audio,
crisp,not too much digi-chop..

got good bars all over, Dedham, Quincy Ctr, Newponset/Dorchester (gallavan blvd D&D)
Southie/Rotary Liquors..South Bay..I90 to about Westboro or so..

Did I need it,,No..regrets...Nahh..Cool radio,,great scanner..

Just my thoughts..

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I live on the North Shore and listened to the system with dsd. The 536HP and 436HP work great on this busy system. Green Line usually has the most activity.

73 Eric

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's much better coverage than I would expect. I bought the upgrade for when I travel to a couple of other areas, but tested it with the MBTA system.

I found the audio to be more crisp and less "digital" than P25. I was able to discover a couple of TGs that weren't listed at the Scan-NE wiki.

Some of the radio traffic is on the scary side, to say the least. If the public knew of some of the stuff that happens on a daily basis, they'd really be outraged. Lots of minor bus accidents, lots of light rail malfunctions, and a lot of forgetting to secure doors before moving on the Red Line. That's the least of it.

If I lived in an area where public safety used Pro Voice, I'd be all over this. It may only be good for a few years, but until those systems are replaced, this is a great option.

Just a quick note, Had not seen it discussed here..

Did I need it,,No..regrets...Nahh..Cool radio,,great scanner..

Just my thoughts..

Yes, even on my 536HP, provoice is crisp, but the system I'm listening has a very low setting on there repeater volume.. so far it follows the the CC and moving stations around my area. depends on what Dept you want to listen.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's still nice to be able to listen to Bexar County and San Antonio though, isn't it? I don't usually get much further south than Austin when I'm there, but if were, I'd definitely bring my 436HP with the option installed.

Yes, even on my 536HP, provoice is crisp, but the system I'm listening has a very low setting on there repeater volume.. so far it follows the the CC and moving stations around my area. depends on what Dept you want to listen.

It's still nice to be able to listen to Bexar County and San Antonio though, isn't it? I don't usually get much further south than Austin when I'm there, but if were, I'd definitely bring my 436HP with the option installed.

you're right. they have very strong system..

Its not just the MBTA.

The Nth/East - MBTA SEPTA NY/MTA ect..
- the majority of the infrastructure is 100+ yrs old,
no matter how much tech upgrade your still packing
it into far past antiquated structural designs.

- the railcars, In the case of the MBTA.. I was here
years ago..the LRVs & RTCs were sleek,maintained..
the new BREEDAs...the oldschool KAWASAKIs..and
Boeings..on the green..
the sexy Bombardier's they upgraded the redline with..
they let it all rot..rusted,dirty,just embarrassing.

Other cities suffer the same hardware/software issues,,
derailments in the tunnels on the streets..
but MBTA equipment seems to rougher than others..

However..the Sups..they got Nice shiny New Trucks,,
Glad they are comfy!

dieciduej

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to get the MBTA on my BCD436HP w/ ProVoice upgrade. I have made an MBTA Favorites List and assigned Quick Keys to the System, Site and so on. When I activate the Favorites List on the scanner, it says "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan." I created other Favorite Lists for local fire/police and Boston fire/police with no problems. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JoeD

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to get the MBTA on my BCD436HP w/ ProVoice upgrade. I have made an MBTA Favorites List and assigned Quick Keys to the System, Site and so on. When I activate the Favorites List on the scanner, it says "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan." I created other Favorite Lists for local fire/police and Boston fire/police with no problems. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JoeD

Compare your settings with this checklist here:

Nothing to Scan

And here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...4-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html#post2121181

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
As I recall Beverly Scott was sitting on $100 Million in capital money for new rolling stock and other improvements. I haven't been in the tunnels in a number of years, but back then a lot of the infrastructure was ancient.

Then there was the Green Line Extension. :roll:

Of course the other day, the Washington DC Metro left 150 people stranded in a tunnel under a river.

Mismanagement has always been a feature of the T.

Its not just the MBTA.

The Nth/East - MBTA SEPTA NY/MTA ect..
- the majority of the infrastructure is 100+ yrs old,
no matter how much tech upgrade your still packing
it into far past antiquated structural designs.

- the railcars, In the case of the MBTA.. I was here
years ago..the LRVs & RTCs were sleek,maintained..
the new BREEDAs...the oldschool KAWASAKIs..and
Boeings..on the green..
the sexy Bombardier's they upgraded the redline with..
they let it all rot..rusted,dirty,just embarrassing.

Other cities suffer the same hardware/software issues,,
derailments in the tunnels on the streets..
but MBTA equipment seems to rougher than others..

However..the Sups..they got Nice shiny New Trucks,,
Glad they are comfy!

OceanNora

Not to stir up a storm of MA vs DC, but having spent a great deal of time on both systems, I have to say that I feel about 100x safer on the T than the WMATA despite all of its problems. Without a doubt the T has its issues, but for the Metro to have to shut down at least one line for six months even though the system is 70 years younger than ours, we should count our blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.