how do i find repeater frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is complicated and hope someone can give some insight.

i drive for a company that does food production that does its own trucking. this is a major operation with 8 plants. i am a local runner and we have comany radios to coordinate where to pick up and place trailers.

they recently got my truck hooked up with a radio but had trouble to start off with as they did not have proper coax connecter. but noticed in specified areas i could hear the radio chatter fromm full coverage areas. this tells me that i was near a repeater or relay station. other clue to repeeater is when away from specified areas i could be right next to another truck and still not hear them.

the name of company is gilster mary lee corp. all groups of workers has radios. trucks down to in plant production where they use handhelds.

i looked at the lisenceing info and there are three separate callsign ids that i find one has 58 listings another has 6 nd anaother has 44 listings i have tried scanning all frequencies and cannot hear the trucks radio traffic as i live 10 miles from chester il repeater site
. d
can anyone let me know if i am missing anything

captclint

Mentor
I also only found 3, and 2 were expired. This is the only one I found active.
WQME440 (GILSTER MARY LEE CORPORATION) FCC Callsign Details
If you look at class, you will see Class=FB2. Those are the only repeater freq. The rest are mobile only=MO. These you would hear within 2-8 miles depending on terrain. FX! are the input frequencies to the repeaters. they seem to have only one location, unless you found other licenses some other way.
I don't see Chester anywhere, don;t know how that relates to STEELEVILLE. If it is more than 30 miles away, they may be renting repeater sites, although would see strange given the elaborate nature of this one.

Last edited:
repeater response

yes i forgot to mention we have locations in chester and steeleville illinois... randolph county.. there is also operations in perryville mo... perry county mo...

yes we cross the mississippi river a dozen times a day...

the radio specifies the city that it is reading from and perryville comes up on the radio but i see no listings for perryville on lisence info...

also can someone let me know if there is a page that defines the categories in the listings such as code will have fb2. mo. fx1 or pag or svc has ig on it... thanks for your imput captain

the reason i am intereested in listening is my job is different. i drive the rolloff dumpster truck and empty the trash for the factories. sometimes i end up done early and the guys on the radio are my co workers.

yes we keep it proffesional but can still recognize the personalities and if there is a wreck along the roadway we keep each other informed of stuff like that as it causes delays in operations

Voyager

There are several things to try.

1. Describe the antenna on the truck (photo if possible). That should tell you the frequency band in case they have licenses on multiple bands.

2. If this is on a band that uses a standard repeater split (such as +5 MHz for 450-470, -45 MHz for 851-869), try the input to the repeater to hear the trucks. Once you can hear that, program the repeater output and see if you can hear that.

3. Post the radio model number. That may indicate if it might be a digital mode that scanners cannot decode.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you look at the RR page posted above it's right there in the Emissions Designators - 7K60FXE - which is DMR / MOTOTRBO which can not be received on any scanner. If the mobile units are operating on this system this would explain why you can not hear them.

If you need a radio because it effects your operations I would tell the company that you need one.

There is also a possibility that they are using a third party system where another company maintains the repeaters and a company like yours would pay a fee to use their system, whereby the other company would hold the license.

On this page scroll down to the bottom and look through each system's talk groups for anything familiar (I am unfamiliar with your geographical area) and program these private systems and listen for the transmissions that you you seek, familiar voices, locations, and when you see someone using their radio. There are numerous trucking /delivery/warehousing companies operating on these systems.

Clear Talk -- Illinois Cooperative Association
IE Communications 800 (Metro StL/So. IL)
Sitco (MetroEast IL)

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
yes i forgot to mention we have locations in chester and steeleville illinois... randolph county.. there is also operations in perryville mo... perry county mo...
Since Chester is only 10 miles from Steeleville, it is possible that it is covered by Steeleville. Not so with Perryville. As W8RMH points out, it is possible they rent repeaters there. In which case, they may not be DMR. If you don't find them on the systems he mentioned (plus any in MO), you might take your scanner with you and use close call or signal stalker. I would turn it off when/if you transmit to avoid damage.

Last edited:
a new approach

how about if i give the radio type and model number...
it is a motorola xpr4550

i am working of a phone with sliding keyboard so i cannot get pdf files.

was wondering if anyone can find instructions if there is a way to view the freq number on the radio display.

there are only 3 channels on it to choose from each channel displays the city it is directed to

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
No, there is no way to know what the frequencies are without reading the radio with the CPS software, which also requires the correct programming cable.

captclint

Mentor
Nice find. Different FRN's and a dash make all the difference. WQFR624 not DMR, but need to check all frequencies since DMR is only 1 of 2 options on the other two

Last edited:

Voyager

That is a MotoTRBO radio.

I believe more accurately that is an analog and MotoTRBO radio, but usually they are used in the MotoTRBO mode.

Any scanner will receive MotoTRBO. Only the AOR units will decode it so far. Or you can use a discriminator tap with just about any scanner and use a program such as DSD to decode the audio.

D

DaveNF2G

I believe more accurately that is an analog and MotoTRBO radio, but usually they are used in the MotoTRBO mode.

Any scanner will receive MotoTRBO. Only the AOR units will decode it so far. Or you can use a discriminator tap with just about any scanner and use a program such as DSD to decode the audio.

Yeah, I doubt any company in it's right mind is going to spend the bux for TRBO and then not use it.

Also, your statement about scanners is technically correct but misleading. A scanner can receive any transmission protocol, but it cannot be used to monitor the traffic sent via every transmission protocol. Also, the AOR DV-1 is not a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.