Is this any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkPhoenix

Ebay has a ton of these cheap SDRs. They appear to all be based on the same Chinese board, as they all look the same and all are advertised 100 kHz to 1.7 GHZ

100KHz 1 7GHz Full Band UV HF Rtl SDR USB Tuner Receiver R820T 8232 Ham Radio | eBay

Are these any good or a waste of money?

I don't know anything about that one but
Check this one out on eBay. http://zao.jp/radio/soft66rtl/

I have one and it works good. First one for me and I'm hooked. Version 3 is for sale.

br0adband

There's nothing special or different about that from any of the other "cheap USB TV tuners" aside from a) it being nearly 4x the cost of most of the cheapest ones and b) it's inside an enclosure. The SMA connectors are somewhat unique I suppose for this particular variation of an RTL-based device but some of the more decent ones are moving towards that connector anyway.

Personally I'd avoid it like it was Anthrax laced with Ebola but that's just me. My recommendation if you're just getting into SDR would still be the unit's sold by RTL-SDR.com that use the updated R820T2 tuner (as this one apparently is just a Terratec unit with an RT820T which is the older less sensitive tuner), aluminum enclosure, with half-decent antennas and an SMA connector as well for nearly half the cost and probably better support.

Mind you that those ones on eBay are modded in some manner because the RTL sticks using the R820T or R820T2 tuner chips don't have a native range of 100 kHz to 1.7 GHz, their normal range is 25 MHz to 1.7 GHz so someone has modded these in some manner to extend the frequency response. As long as you're aware of that modification that could be the reason for the increased price over traditional RTL sticks and worth noting. You may end up with some performance degradation because of the modifications depending on how well it was done so something else to be aware of.

Obviously if you choose to get that one from Hong Kong it's more expensive and if you have any issues then getting a replacement or something might require you to ship the defective/broken one all the way back to Hong Kong and you might have to foot the bill for it, plus there's a long shipping/receiving period to go that far. RTL-SDR.com sells their stuff through Amazon so you'll get it fast, for less, and get better support for it (personal opinion on that based on my own experience) if it's needed.

Get two better tuners for a few bucks more (~$50 through Amazon with free shipping I believe (because Amazon recently raised their free shipping requirement to $45 or something close to it). At $24.95 it's a bargain even if you decide to just get one - they are out of stock at the moment (because they're damned good and popular too) but they should be restocking in another week or so.

Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) - rtl-sdr.com

Disclaimer: No I'm not affiliated with the RTL-SDR.com site in any manner, I'm just passing along the info because I think it's a vastly better price and piece of hardware than that eBay auction is attempting to shove out to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.