Northern Ohio First Energy/Illuminating Co. NXDN Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoScout

Does anyone have (or can lead me to) the NXDN frequencies used by the First Energy/Illuminating Co. in or near Cuyahoga County ? Thank You.

Last edited:

Hummer8290

Premium Subscriber
I can't help you in that, but First Energy will be implementing MARCS IP soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

mszabo2000

I can't help you in that ,but First Energy will be implementing MARCS IP soon.

Maybe, MARCS IP uses 700MHz channels which can not be used by commercial entities. Unless they receive a waiver or can steer FE traffic to 800MHz channels only, FE may not be moving to MARCS.

Hummer8290

Premium Subscriber
It's signed,it's happening eventually. Don't believe it if you want

budevans

Rural Electric vs First Energy

There are Rural Electric suppliers that are already on MARCS-IP. Why are they permitted to be on MARCS-IP?

Nasby

There are Rural Electric suppliers that are already on MARCS-IP. Why are they permitted to be on MARCS-IP?

MONEY!!!

It's what the whole MARCS thing is about.

Disguised of course as pie in the sky post 911 interop.

jackj

Thanks for the info

I can't help you in that ,but First Energy will be implementing MARCS IP soon.

Do you have any information on when? Also, I'm in NW Ohio and I'm wondering if Toledo Edison will be making the switch also?

Jack
N8BSR

wd8chl

Well, FE is a customer for a different aspect than this discussion, but as far as I can tell, they have been using nothing but Nextel/Sprint PTT app for their trucks since they abandoned the Smartzone system in the NE, and the UHF system in the NW. The nuclear plants have some radios on MARCS for emergency use, but they aren't supposed to use it day-to-day. Also there is some conventional 800 and UHF within both the nuclear and coal plants. One plant was using Mototrbo, but I think that plant is at least partly shut down. I have not seen or heard of any NXDN anywhere within FE. Ever.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
they have been using nothing but Nextel/Sprint PTT app for their trucks since they abandoned the Smartzone system in the NE, and the UHF system in the NW.

Supposedly their 800 MHz frequencies were pulled off the Smartzone system and converted to an in-house Motorola Harmony system, much as was done by DP&L a year or so earlier. Per a friend of mine with contacts at FE the performance hasn't been all it's cracked up to be.

Not a matter of believing if it will happen, I hear they have the radios. The issue is the FCC. Hope they work it out. Would be a benefit for all parties.

As I heard it, they got the waiver, plus they're going to add their 800 MHz frequencies to the IP sites they need to use. Don't know if that's changed or not.

Last edited:

wd8chl

I know Perry still has the 800 conventionals in house. They might use those at Eastlake too if that's still running. Not sure if Bayshore is still running either. They were UHF Mototrbo.

StereoScout

Since the TRBO and NXDN systems are starting to appear in the database, does anybody have the NXDN frequencies used by First Energy/Illuminating Company in and around Cuyahoga County ? Thank you again.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Since the TRBO and NXDN systems are starting to appear in the database, does anybody have the NXDN frequencies used by First Energy/Illuminating Company in and around Cuyahoga County ? Thank you again.

This was answered on 4-9, a post you made in this very thread.

If it's not listed in the DB, nobody has submitted it. However, there may be frequencies. Looks up the FCC licenses in teh database.

Mike

AFAIK, Toledo Edison abandoned its nice UHF system (and tore down the damn nice freestanding tower when they totalled the historic Acme Power Plant) and use Nextel PTT - has anyone confirmed if they might move First Energy / Toledo Edison in NW / NC Ohio to the new MARCS-IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.