Dual Band Mobile Antennas Under $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get pointed in the right direction of a dual band mobile antenna with a magnetic mount for my car. I have a cheap TRAM magnetic mount antenna I picked up for $30. I was wondering if there are any possible upgrades out there that wont break the bank. Thanks for the help.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
This is related to your other thread in this forum "Picket Fencing Problem" and I replied there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking to get pointed in the right direction of a dual band mobile antenna with a magnetic mount for my car. I have a cheap TRAM magnetic mount antenna I picked up for $30. I was wondering if there are any possible upgrades out there that wont break the bank. Thanks for the help.

Larsen makes a couple of dual band antennas with NMO mounts that will make life easier.
The NMO mounts will give you the option of changing out mounts/antennas a lot easier. Maybe the Tram has an NMO, not sure, but after looking at some of their antennas at trade shows, I'm not impressed.

LARSEN NMO-2/70SH
Higher gain model: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo2-70b-1712.html
NMO Magnetic Mount: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrpl-1097.html

Stay away from the consumer/amateur radio grade stuff. The slight cost savings isn't going to do you any favors in the long run. A name brand antenna like Larsen will last a long time if you look after it.

A good upgrade would be to ditch the magnetic mount and drill the hole. Getting the antenna properly mounted with a good ground plane underneath it will help performance. Also, using -just- the amount of coax cable you need will help a tiny bit, too.

prcguy

I've been using the higher gain Larsen NMO2-70B for many years and its probably the best dual band mobile amateur antenna I have. I was recently looking for a little more performance on 2m and temporarily swapped the dual band Larsen for a Larsen 5/8 tuned to 2m and we found the signal strength at a distance was nearly identical.

So with the big Larsen dual band you can get 5/8 wave performance on 2m plus really good 70cm performance.
prcguy

Larsen makes a couple of dual band antennas with NMO mounts that will make life easier.
The NMO mounts will give you the option of changing out mounts/antennas a lot easier. Maybe the Tram has an NMO, not sure, but after looking at some of their antennas at trade shows, I'm not impressed.

LARSEN NMO-2/70SH
Higher gain model: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo2-70b-1712.html
NMO Magnetic Mount: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrpl-1097.html

Stay away from the consumer/amateur radio grade stuff. The slight cost savings isn't going to do you any favors in the long run. A name brand antenna like Larsen will last a long time if you look after it.

A good upgrade would be to ditch the magnetic mount and drill the hole. Getting the antenna properly mounted with a good ground plane underneath it will help performance. Also, using -just- the amount of coax cable you need will help a tiny bit, too.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been using the higher gain Larsen NMO2-70B for many years and its probably the best dual band mobile amateur antenna I have.
I'm a fan of the Larsen NMO270B, as well. The only thing that concerns me is the open coil section in the middle of the antenna. It seems like a potential spot for mechanical failure or a compromise of the coil's characteristics. That said, I've been using them for years on various vehicles and never had a problem.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The Larsen NMO 2/70B without the magnetic mount is about $70. The Larsen mag mount adds another $50. That puts the price well over $100 if you include shipping. I think the OP wants to use a mag mount, and we all know that is not optimal.... he should drill the roof or use a trunk / lip mount for the NMO. I'm guessing he is going to reply here saying he wants a mag mount antenna..... and I'll let y'all tell him why he needs to drill (besides saving money on the mount).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The parts I linked to are:
Larsen NMO-27 $69.95
Larsen magnetic mount $29.95.

That leaves a whole 10¢ for shipping.

Shopping around will save some money. A permanent mount NMO with cable and PL-259 will run around $15.00.

And I agree, like I said above, an improvement would be to skip the magnetic mount and do the permanent mount. Magnets belong on refrigerators, not antennas.

prcguy

The coil is made from part of the super hard SS whip and I can't imagine hurting it. I've caught tree limbs in the coil at high speed and hit underground parking lot ceilings that were only about 6" higher than my roof and my NMO270B takes a licking and keeps on working.
prcguy

I'm a fan of the Larsen NMO270B, as well. The only thing that concerns me is the open coil section in the middle of the antenna. It seems like a potential spot for mechanical failure or a compromise of the coil's characteristics. That said, I've been using them for years on various vehicles and never had a problem.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Larsen is pretty much the gold standard. You did the right thing ordering one. If you want to do the best thing, don't use the mag mount.

N4KVE

I too have been using the 2/70B since 1992, but mine has the closed coil. I don't know if they still make it, but I've tried several newer Diamonds, & none work better.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I too have been using the 2/70B since 1992, but mine has the closed coil.
The closed coil is the NMO270 and used to only be available with a bright chrome-plated whip. The open coil has a black whip hence the NMO270B model number. Unless, of course, things have changed in Larsen model numbering. I've not seen an NMO270B with a closed coil.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The only thing different I've noticed with open coils is that when you're at highway speeds there is a slightly higher wind noise level that can be heard inside (some) vehicles. You have to listen for it carefully, but a mild vibration is mechanically conducted into whatever surface the antenna is mounted on... and sometimes into the vehicle as a very low level audible humming.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Shop around Tessco or Hutton and you can usually find a 2/70B for around $50.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

LARSEN NMO-2/70SH

Im with mmckenna and prcguy Larsen all the way.....

TheSpaceMann

If you really want to go on the cheap. MFJ makes a very popular dual band mag mount (MFJ 1724B) for around $20 something bucks! It's gotten excellent reviews on eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site , and it's supposedly the worlds best selling dual band mobile antenna. I bought one in the 1990s for around $16, and it still works extremely well today!! :)

Last edited:

mrweather

Another vote for the NMO2/70. Mine's on a permanent NMO mount too. I have the "B" whip and never had any wind noise issues.

I also have the "shorty" version and it does okay.

KE0GXN

I have had good results with the Diamond MR77:
Diamond® Antenna ~ MR77 Dualband Mobile Antenna

However, if you are willing to fork out up to $100 dollars, then I would go with the Larsen that has been suggested. I have a Larsen I use for scanning and it pulls in stuff from several miles away with ease.

Good luck with whatever you decide and 73!

Status
Not open for further replies.