• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with P5400

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Hey All,

I recently picked up a Harris P5400 off eBay... I have lots of experience with programming Harris radios however never with conventional digital.

Here is the issue.

I have a list of about 10 frequencies that are both digital and analog.. I want to have one zone that ignores all analog and decodes digital (P25 only zone) and another zone that scans analog but will still unmute for digital.. (mixed mode)

I realize I can just put a PL tone on so that digital ignores the analog but it will still tie up the channel.. is there a way to make it pass on any analog transmission like a Motorola?

Also anyone know what channel guard is?

I have also found that when I made a new P25 conventional set that it still scans the analog in use on those same channels..

Also using RPM 10

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Channel Guard is the same as PL.

To do digital-only, you have to do a workaround as Harris doesn't have digital-only as an option. Set the RX tone to something like 123 or 234 or some other DCS code, that will prevent the radio from ever opening squelch.

You won't be able to lock it down to analog-only as P25 will still open the receiver. If there is a tone present, just set it to that and it will leave the channel muted.

To do mixed mode, configure the channel for P25 and either set the tone to the correct one or leave it blank. Any carrier, digital or not, would then un-mute the radio.

A P25 conventional set can have both analog and digital in the same set. The only reason there are "Conventional" systems and "P25 Conventional" systems is the digital mode, AEGIS/Provoice and P25 respectively. You still need to set the per-channel configurations to control what mode it operates in.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

So in reality If the P25 channel I was assigned had a distant analog user on days with good propagation there would be interference and nothing I could do to block the analog signal aside from putting a rouge DCS code on it. I guess that is one area Motorola is a bit better.. it just ignores the signal if its not the desired mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.