Smoky Mountain Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any tips for monitoring the show?

I see that scanners are not allowed into the event.

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
"Operational Security" They don't want you listening to PS ops, Mil Ops, and knowing they know your planning to blow yourself up and shoot everyone else first. Oh and reason 2: Same reason they don't like scanners on aircraft.... Hint - "sensitive avionics"

Ring any bells?

Yes 90% BS as usual but there it is.

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
"Operational Security" They don't want you listening to PS ops, Mil Ops, and knowing they know your planning to blow yourself up and shoot everyone else first. Oh and reason 2: Same reason they don't like scanners on aircraft.... Hint - "sensitive avionics"

Ring any bells?

Yes 90% BS as usual but there it is.

As sad as it is, I'm sure that's the answer we would get.

I think I'm just going to clear the memory on my 996XT and turn on close call with an external antenna on my car, just to log what all it hits on.

danod

The last Knoxville show I attended I took along my Pro 2004 hooked up to a gel cell with an amplified speaker in a kids little red wagon and people within about ten feet also enjoyed the audio. Great audio on the video I took of the show. I can only imagine the horror if anyone tried something like that these days. How times have changed...pitiful!

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.

Most organizers of air shows are prudent to not allow radios that transmit, especially air band, for obvious reason. Those that ban receive only radios probably simply do not fully understand or appreciate the difference. That’s a shame because virtually half the experience for me is listening to what I’m seeing.

Banning scanners is usually enough for me not to attend air shows. In this case, the Smoky Mountain Airshow is in a fringe area for me; meaning at least a one night stay. What normally would be a consideration is an automatic pass in light of the ban.

As to the original question, a long shot; plug an FM transmitter into your vehicle scanner. Mount it high as possible. See if you can get a simple FM radio into the show. Granted, you would have to pretty much be parked next to the fence outside the point where you would be inside looking up. Another similar solution is to set a voice activated FRS radio next to the vehicle scanner and see if you could get another FRS radio inside. Ham operators would have more options I am made to think.

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Blue Angels

237.800 AM (Solo-2) Solo and cross country
251.600 AM (Air-Air) Nationwide mil A-A (Startup & Taxi)
255.200 AM (Ch 17) Arrivals / Circle / Discrete
265.000 AM (Diamond-2) Diamond formation secondary
275,350 AM (Diamond-1) Diamond formation primary
284.250 AM (Ch-16) Show Box (center field) Primary
289.800 AM In flight refueling
305.500 AM (Ch-10) Fat Albert Primary / Maintenance
305.900 AM (Ch-9) Fat Albert Bert & Ernie Demo
333.300 AM Diamond / Delta formation in the Show Box

Comm Cart / Maintenance

139.8125 NBFM Ground Maintenance
141.6125 NBFM Ground Maintenance
141.5625 NBFM Ground Maintenance
142.6125 NBFM Tower Observer

DOD Base Trunk

If you are lucky enough to have a scanner that picks up P-25 DOD Trunk 380-400 MHz the Blue Angels are on Talkgroup 29529 and 29530

Confederate Air Force (That's right I said CONFEDERATE)

122.475 (AM) Air to Air

Air Force F-16 Viper Demonstration Team

Ground:
136.4750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
136.5750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
136.6750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
138.1500 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
139.9000 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
140.3750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.0250 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.1500 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.1750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.5500 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.6500 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.6750 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.7000 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.9000 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
141.9500 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
142.2250 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground
142.4000 (NBFM) Maintenance / Ground

Aircraft Viper-1 Viper-2

273.7000 (AM) Air to Air
311.2000 (AM) Air to Air
376.0250 (AM) Air to Air
384.5500 (AM) Air to Air

Air Boss

123.1000 (AM) Air to Air
123.1500 (AM) Air to Air
123.3000 (AM) Air to Air
123.4500 (AM) Air to Air (informal)

Aeroshell

122.7550 (AM) Air to Air
123.1500 (AM) Air to Air

Fighting Falcon

123.1500 (AM) Air to Air

Greg Koontz Decathalon

123.1500 (AM) Air to Air

Swift Aircraft Association

122.7750 (AM) Air to Air
122.9250 (AM) Air to Air

Civil Air Patrol

141.0000 (NBFM) Simplex
141.5750 (NBFM) Simplex
149.2750 (NBFM) Simplex Air
150.5625 (NBFM) Simplex Air
150.2250 (NBFM) Simplex GUARD
139.8750 (NBFM) Simplex Tactical

Don't forget lots of crews use FRS radios for little stuff between the shows and some of that is rather entertaining as well.

deglass

Smoky Mountain Air Show 2016 - monitoring

At the Friday Dress Rehearsal, Air Boss was on 123.150.
Blues used 284.250 air-air during their extended (very good!) show. Don't miss hearing Blue Angel 1 singing the maneuver calls to his team!

zachgallop

The patch between Blount and Knox County on KCSO 2L and Alcoa PD Dispatch for the Air Show is causing garbled radio traffic. People are getting clipped off and not getting all the radio traffic. Which is frustrating for the officers and the communication staff. Once command started using encryption and others officers the patch was lagging bad. Knox County Sheriff Office has digital capable units (APXS) why do they just not program them to Blount County's Talk groups on TACN into their radios?

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for the information. Maybe next years show will allow them, although I doubt it.

In doing research, I found this article. Maybe everyone has already seen it, but it seems to have a lot of good information. And the confirmed Blue Angels frequencies from the Smoky Mountain Airshow are listed.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/0312airshowguide.pdf

WX4EMT

I enjoyed the show tremendously but the Dept of Homeland Security is the one that issued the no scanner directive. IMHO it is useless because they allow cell phones and as we all know there are apps that allow us to listen to audio streams from local scanners.

So....

Nest time, I'll set up an AirShow stream and use my cell phone in just such a fashion. Anyone else want to listen?

As for frequencies.... I bought the Teak Airshow Guide by Larry Van Horn (monitoring times alum) for Kindle and it proved to be accurate for today's show.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Yes! I Would!

I would definitely listen! Even if unable to attend.

I enjoyed the show tremendously but the Dept of Homeland Security is the one that issued the no scanner directive. IMHO it is useless because they allow cell phones and as we all know there are apps that allow us to listen to audio streams from local scanners.

So....

Nest time, I'll set up an AirShow stream and use my cell phone in just such a fashion. Anyone else want to listen?

As for frequencies.... I bought the Teak Airshow Guide by Larry Van Horn (monitoring times alum) for Kindle and it proved to be accurate for today's show.

danod

I recorded both shows from my home location about 20 miles from the airport. Some of the transmissions are a little weak and some are nonexistent due to the distance and their being close to the ground but both are very good listening. I can email either file to anyone who wishes.

At the Saturday show one of the Angels had a small mishap as you can hear him telling the rest about it at around the ten minute mark which is interesting. I missed the first few minutes of the Sunday show due to being away from the scanner.

The Sat show is about 12mb and Sun show 9mb both in wav format.

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
I recorded both shows from my home location about 20 miles from the airport. Some of the transmissions are a little weak and some are nonexistent due to the distance and their being close to the ground but both are very good listening. I can email either file to anyone who wishes.

At the Saturday show one of the Angels had a small mishap as you can hear him telling the rest about it at around the ten minute mark which is interesting. I missed the first few minutes of the Sunday show due to being away from the scanner.

The Sat show is about 12mb and Sun show 9mb both in wav format.

I'd like the recordings. ceanderson3 at gmail dot com

danod

I am interested to hear more about this 'mishap'

Pilot 1 I just pulled power as I approached center point and I shouldn't have.

Pilot 2 Dang it!

Pilot 3 How bad?

Pilot 1 Seven _____ (unintelligible)

Pilot 1 I'm bad

I don't think it was anything the casual observer would notice but knowing these guys are perfectionists it was enough that he made mention of it at least.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Its not perfectionist. Its pure safety! In precision performance flying like they do using jet aircraft, the over or under application of power, slightest directional mistake, or misjudgment can be, and has been fatal!

danod

Its not perfectionist. Its pure safety! In precision performance flying like they do using jet aircraft, the over or under application of power, slightest directional mistake, or misjudgment can be, and has been fatal!

Agree with the safety aspect but they are still trying to perfect their performances to the nth degree as much as humanly possible. That is part of the challenge in having the honor of being where they are. Precision performance flying is one of if not the main reason they even exist so as to demonstrate that to the general public and recruit for the military. If it was only a safety issue there would be no public shows therefore they would probably not exist. Either way I am thankful they exist and we as spectators get to enjoy them. I know I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.