I just got a pro-2051 at a flee market

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

This Pro-2051 works great in picking up regular analog stations. In fact the Pro-2051 works 100 times better on the same station then the Terratec RTL dongle that I have. Like the NOAA weather radio in Richland, Wa on 162.45mhz. On the same wire antenna. The RTL dongle hears NOAA with a lot of background noise. When I can get the Pro-2051 onto the NOAA freq (I am having a problem in working the Pro-2051). The users guide that came with the Pro-2051 is useless. There is no way that I can see to put the scanner in a pure manual mode. I only stumbled 1 time on how to get the into the NOAA mode. It says "wxalt" next to the #1 button. Most scanners and ht's you use the func > #1 button to get into the weather mode. Not this scanner. Also I asked the seller if this scanner is digital and will it pick up the Proj 25 phase I and II. He said yes. Now after I got home and started searching online. I don't think it is a digital scanner. Also is there a better users manual online that I can download free?

Steve

steve-kc7byp

This link bellow is not a users manual. All it is, is a general specifications of the scanner. That web page doesn't tell me how the buttons work. I guess I will just have to go on using the ProScan client at ProScan It is a free software. A local ham has a digital scanner setup to receive Benton County dispatch on the proj 25 phase II. The ProScan client lets me hear everything comes over his scanner via the internet.

You are correct in assuming that it's not a digital scanner. It also will not trunk track rebanded 800 MHz Motorola analog systems. However it should still work fine for analog EDACS and LTR trunked systems if you have any of those in your area. Pro-2051 - The RadioReference Wiki

dwh367

This link bellow is not a users manual. All it is, is a general specifications of the scanner. That web page doesn't tell me how the buttons work. I guess I will just have to go on using the ProScan client at ProScan It is a free software. A local ham has a digital scanner setup to receive Benton County dispatch on the proj 25 phase II. The ProScan client lets me hear everything comes over his scanner via the internet.
I was just wanting you to be able to see a little bit about the scanner so you knew what it would and wouldn't do. As long as you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it, an analog only scanner is still pretty handy to have.

Where I live the city is on a P-25 800MHz trunked system and the county is VHF/UHF analog. If there's a major incident I can dedicate my digital scanner to the city system and the analog scanner to the county system. Then I can manipulate the volume controls to whichever one I want to hear at the moment.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
2051 Manual

Try this

RADIO SHACK PRO-2051 USER MANUAL Pdf Download.

This Pro-2051 works great in picking up regular analog stations. In fact the Pro-2051 works 100 times better on the same station then the Terratec RTL dongle that I have. Like the NOAA weather radio in Richland, Wa on 162.45mhz. On the same wire antenna. The RTL dongle hears NOAA with a lot of background noise. When I can get the Pro-2051 onto the NOAA freq (I am having a problem in working the Pro-2051). The users guide that came with the Pro-2051 is useless. There is no way that I can see to put the scanner in a pure manual mode. I only stumbled 1 time on how to get the into the NOAA mode. It says "wxalt" next to the #1 button. Most scanners and ht's you use the func > #1 button to get into the weather mode. Not this scanner. Also I asked the seller if this scanner is digital and will it pick up the Proj 25 phase I and II. He said yes. Now after I got home and started searching online. I don't think it is a digital scanner. Also is there a better users manual online that I can download free?

Steve

N1BHH

FUNCtion + 1 gets you into weather alert, which gets you to the last memory (as long as it is programmed for your local weather service frequency) if nothing is programmed the display will show NO PROG.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I understand that BuTel's ARC433 makes it a whole lot easier to program. This little beast is actually a marriage between GRE and Uniden - which makes one wonder if they should have gotten a divorce (heh)....Mike

steve-kc7byp

I only payed $25. for this scanner. I Jewed him down from $60. Were I live ALL of Benton County and the cities in it are on P-25 800mhz. Across the river in Franklyn county they are still on analog for both county and city. There is talk of putting both countys on P-25 800mhz out of Benton countys dispach office. and all 3 cities in the Tri-Cities area.

I was just wanting you to be able to see a little bit about the scanner so you knew what it would and wouldn't do. As long as you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it, an analog only scanner is still pretty handy to have.

Where I live the city is on a P-25 800MHz trunked system and the county is VHF/UHF analog. If there's a major incident I can dedicate my digital scanner to the city system and the analog scanner to the county system. Then I can manipulate the volume controls to whichever one I want to hear at the moment.

RayAir

I still have a pro-2051.

Unfortunately it isn't as useful as it once was. I used to use it on a few LTR systems. Those were replaced by MotoTRBO systems about 5 years ago.

The 2051 didn't have auto-LTR and you had to know the repeater order. Another RS handheld I had at the time had auto-LTR which came in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.