• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IP Based Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know Icom has their IP radios. I'm just trying to see if there is anything else similar out there that operates over 802.11 in a full duplex operation. Anyone know of any other options worth looking into? The application is industrial.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Check out Vocera. They have something comparable, commonly used in hospitals.

It's quite advanced, with voice recognition which permits the user to send a message to a specific individual, or department, or dictate an email, etc.

Very "star trek communicator"-like. Pretty cool system.

Project25_MASTR

Check out Vocera. They have something comparable, commonly used in hospitals.

It's quite advanced, with voice recognition which permits the user to send a message to a specific individual, or department, or dictate an email, etc.

Very "star trek communicator"-like. Pretty cool system.

I'll have to look into that. Looks interesting. Looking at a replacement for an Earmark 72 MHz headsets that doesn't perform to the manager's "standards" (tiny bit of background noise in the audio).

gesucks

The cost of the Motorola system (Vocera) vs the Icom system will be about 50 to 1. The Vocera is backroom hardware heavy and super expensive compared to the Icom. If you want just a radio solution, Icom, if you need all the other stuff that come with Vocera, you will pay dearly for it.

Not knocking either, but big price difference

Project25_MASTR

The only thing I've really seen as a downside to the Icom system is that it is locked in the default subnet. I would believe the Motorola system is a tiny bit out of budget.

Last edited:

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Wait until 4th quarter of this year.... Motorola mototrbo "e" version of radios will allegedly do radio over wifi if repeater is not reachable.....Nice! TT

JASII

Memory Capacity
I just ran across this thread. For the original poster, what did you end up doing?

Project25_MASTR

I just ran across this thread. For the original poster, what did you end up doing?

Waiting for the area MR to get me a set of IP radios for demo currently. Then some testing on a local network I have here at the house (which involves a good opportunity to test multipath issues that may arise). If it works satisfactory, then I'll be taking the setup to demo to the client and go from there.

Meestor_X

I know Icom has their IP radios. I'm just trying to see if there is anything else similar out there that operates over 802.11 in a full duplex operation. Anyone know of any other options worth looking into? The application is industrial.

Is there a reason the ICom won't work for your application?

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
More like a cordless telephone or intercom?
VoIP Phone.
For Wifi is no Typical Radio. In theory are some Standards who would allow to do this like what some "Social Groups" here in Europe do. The put an special Linux "Firmware" on some Open Router.
The use some Mash Network where the Router search for other Router and Connect to them.

So if you would find some Chinese Company who make an Radio/ Phone with it would work.
The Icom Stuff is (for me as an IT Technician) nothing else than an fancy VoIP Wifi Phone.

The Problem is in many case you need additional Software licence for Wifi Phones / Radios.
Here in Austria its very hard to get an Radio legaly licence. You must buy it from an "licence" Dealer who register it at the officials. You can believe you pay much more for the Radio you have to.

Here everyone use Dect Systems or Mobile Phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.