BCD436HP and VSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
For the last couple of days, I've been trying to monitor VSP on STARS in my area with my 436hp. However, after around four hours of listening, I've only caught a VDOT unit on I-66. I appear to be getting a good signal from the local towers, but I'm not catching the talkgroups. I started out with just two VSP dispatch talkgroups and two towers. When I didn't receive anything, I programmed in all the talkgroups on the system, with those same two towers. That's when I received a VDOT unit briefly, but nothing else.

I've also tried using the zip code scanning for a little while, but still didn't get anything from STARS.

I have no trouble getting STARS on my PRO-18.

I receive local trunking systems just fine. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong with STARS? It's a multi-site system, which might make a difference.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
Programming with Sentinel

I'm using Sentinel and Law Dispatch and Tactical are on. I also turned on Law Talk. I'm attaching a couple of screen shots showing the Favorites List I'm monitoring including some details on the talkgroups and sites I currently have. I avoided all the sites but two.

Attachments

• Sentinel.jpg
    Sentinel.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 822
  • Sentinel1.jpg
    Sentinel1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 808

fredva

Feed Provider
I should add that I downloaded the info from the database. I got an update of the database this evening, but it didn't help.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed the same thing with my 436. While my PSR-800 picks up STARS just fine, it takes a while for the 436 to stop on that same transmission I was getting on the 800. The 436 has a strong signal on the tower, and I don't use the services enable option nevertheless it's weird.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked whether the GPS coordinate thing is enabled and if so are the settings correct. It could lock out stuff based on that. I know I ran down to Roanoke and had my settings off and didn't get a number of sites that I do when running manually.

I've also found the lat/long can be wrong and had to double check it was right not to mention my home location had to be correct for it to work when turned on.

Also it looks like you have all but one site set to avoid in the first picture so that could be a problem.

fredva

Feed Provider
I don't currently have any location-based info in the Sentinel software. The lat-long are set to zeroes. I've tried location-based scanning manually, by using the zip button on the scanner and choosing full database. But afterwards, I wrote to the scanner from Sentinel, which I believe undid my manual setting.

That screen capture doesn't show the whole list. I actually have two sites which are not avoided. Those are the two nearest to me.

I'm going to try using the ID search today. I assume that's the same as a wildcard on the GRE/Radio Shack models.

I appreciate the input that has been offered. I mainly bought this scanner to monitor some local agencies who will be switching to Simulcast LSM systems in the near future (including one with Phase 2), but I'm curious as to why it isn't doing well on STARS. On the other hand, I'm impressed with its performance on Stafford County's Simulcast LSM system.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
...I'm going to try using the ID search today. I assume that's the same as a wildcard on the GRE/Radio Shack models...QUOTE]

That's true. I scan it in ID search mode, as well. You probably are already aware, that if the TG is programmed in the scanner, it will skip it if it is locked out- and I am assuming it would also skip over it if it is a location based setting that is causing your problem. I'm not sure if I explained that clearly- or correctly...

I'm also having some minor frustrations with the 436 and STARS. Overall, it does ok. I've noticed while trying to monitor one site (Fork Mountain), the scanner will switch to another site for certain TG's, such as Culpeper 1. I can't figure out what I have selected incorrectly, but "think" it's location based.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I don't currently have any location-based info in the Sentinel software. The lat-long are set to zeroes. I've tried location-based scanning manually, by using the zip button on the scanner and choosing full database. But afterwards, I wrote to the scanner from Sentinel, which I believe undid my manual setting.

That screen capture doesn't show the whole list. I actually have two sites which are not avoided. Those are the two nearest to me.

I'm going to try using the ID search today. I assume that's the same as a wildcard on the GRE/Radio Shack models.

I appreciate the input that has been offered. I mainly bought this scanner to monitor some local agencies who will be switching to Simulcast LSM systems in the near future (including one with Phase 2), but I'm curious as to why it isn't doing well on STARS. On the other hand, I'm impressed with its performance on Stafford County's Simulcast LSM system.

I just checked and all my sites have the lat/long and range entered in. For some reason I thought you had to disable or uncheck it to keep it from being used. Also check that all the quick keys are checked active. I know one time I did some stuff and wasn't picking up anything and found out I only had some of the QKs and sites checked and not ones on the new stuff. Checked them and bingo, it worked.

There are more things to screw up on this scanner than you can shake a stick at and it doesn't even need to be something you've done. It comes that way. LOL

phask

Premium Subscriber
Just don't set lat/lon to zero and have location enabled.

0/0 is a valid location - in the middle of no where.

Just turn loc. enabled off for the list.

fredva

Feed Provider
Location mode is set to off.

With ID Search turned on, I took the scanner on my commute to and from work. In the first few minutes after leaving the house, I picked up a good bit of chatter on STARS. But then for the remaining 30 minutes or so, I got nothing from STARS. These are areas where I would normally pick up STARS traffic on my PRO-18. Then this afternoon, shortly after leaving work, I heard more transmissions. But then it got quiet again, except for possibly one more isolated transmission.

Seems strange that I would pick up transmissions right after firing up the scanner but then get virtually nothing after that. I suppose it is a coincidence. Distance from the enabled towers wouldn't explain it because I even drove right by one of the towers and STARS was quiet on the scanner.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Location mode is set to off.

With ID Search turned on, I took the scanner on my commute to and from work. In the first few minutes after leaving the house, I picked up a good bit of chatter on STARS. But then for the remaining 30 minutes or so, I got nothing from STARS. These are areas where I would normally pick up STARS traffic on my PRO-18. Then this afternoon, shortly after leaving work, I heard more transmissions. But then it got quiet again, except for possibly one more isolated transmission.

Seems strange that I would pick up transmissions right after firing up the scanner but then get virtually nothing after that. I suppose it is a coincidence. Distance from the enabled towers wouldn't explain it because I even drove right by one of the towers and STARS was quiet on the scanner.

When you reprogrammed it did it change the threshold settings by chance?
I know I use manual and 7 for everything and auto 8 never worked well for me on STARS.

I'm running out of ideas if the site and QKs are all checked and its not geo related or the other things mentioned. I swear it sounds like your going out of a geo defined area thereby shutting off reception especially with this last comment about working then as you got farther away it stopped. With all other sites avoided it won't scan them if you enter their area I don't think. And yes I know you said its turned off so it probably isn't the issue.

The only other thing I can think of which is a real hail mary is to take the batteries out for a minute or two then put them back in. See if that reset helps. Also try sending to the scanner again. Both long shots but.....Make sure when you program to the scanner you check "Erase Favorite Lists" on the dialog box that pops up or it causes a bunch of problems in and of itself.

Oh and are the QKs selected for what you want? I've heard others say they mysteriously turned themselves off before on the radio itself. Only had that happen once to me though. I have site QKs, and Dept. QKs for mine. If they get turned off either in programming or on the radio itself which was my problem then it wouldn't scan whatever it is. Pain in the rear and finally just rewrote to the blasted thing to fix it. Annoying as heck though at the time trying to figure out what in the world was wrong.

Sorry starting to ramble a bit. Great radio just too many things that can be wrong out of the box with it because of its complicated nature.

fredva

Feed Provider
The Threshold Level was set to Auto 8. I'm changing it to Manual 7 for the two STARS sites I have enabled. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually don't have any Quick Keys set on the scanner yet.

cpetraglia

Not sure if you have all control channels programed. The Fairfax site has been changing control channels lately. It's only been a short while since this started. I will monitor today and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.