• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Magnetic Mount Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions?
I had bought a real cheap Nagoya magnetic mount
dual band antenna but it had issues. It was a great
learner antenna since it was only about $12.00,but now
I'm looking for something a little more robust than your
$12.00 antenna. I really don't need dual band since I'm
only licensed for GMRS.
Looking for any and all feedback. I guess I'd like to keep the
cost around $50 or so since I really don't use it all too much.
Also, I really don't want to use an NMO mount because I tend
to trade my vehicles in every 3 -5 years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pretty easy to get an NMO magnetic mount if that is what you are looking for.
$29.95:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrpl-1097.html

1/4 wave UHF antenna will probably serve you just fine. I used 1/4 wave on GMRS for many years. Tried some 5/8th's wave with 3dB of gain, but it didn't really make that much a difference..
$11.95:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqw450-801.html

There's no reason why this setup could't last you a lifetime. Using quality stuff from the start will not only save you a lot of headaches ($12 antenna?) but it will also last a lot longer. A bit of basic maintenance will really help.
Nice thing is that a 1/4 wave antenna is very broad banded. The one I linked to above is listed as 450-470, but in reality they'll cover more than that. If you ever decided to go to amateur radio, or just wanted to listen, this antenna will work fine.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Does anybody have any experience with these types of antennas?
I love the low profile, but I'm apprehensive about the performance.

EPCOM - LP450NMO Larsen
Use the search function and look up low profile antennas

Don't limit your looking to just GMRS. It's just a tiny portion of the UHF spectrum used in several different radio services. Antenna performance is not limited to a particular service like GMRS. If it don't work well in Part 90 applications, it sure won't do any better in GMRS.

Lots of very negative info to be found right here on RR as well as on the batboard. Look around, it's all been discussed ad infinitum already.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
My brother got the phased 5/8 vertical, mag-mount, from DPD Productions, and we put it on one of the trucks up at the ranch. We're happy with it.

Disclaimers:

1 - I am not affiliated with DPD Productions.

2 - This is probably not legal for the first 7 interstitial channels, depending on your radio, as you are limited to 5 watts ERP. On the last 8 repeater pairs, you are allowed 50 watts OUTPUT power, and gain antennas are allowed.

There. I covered that.

Delta

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The low pro antenna is a decent performer for certain applications. In our county we have a UHF P25 trunking system and they work well but the system was designed for portables. In the GMRS world I routinely use simplex and that antenna is junk for that purpose. I find a standard NMO 1/4" UHF is adequate for what I am doing. If I can't talk simplex I switch to one of my repeaters. For under $50 you should be able to get a good NMO magnet mount, then get a 1/4" whip for it. The nice thing with the NMO if you can get a gain antenna and swap the whips as needed.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
For less you can get the PCTEL 430-480 MHz knob…it's only 1.5 inches shorter than a quarter wave. Performance is otherwise identical minus the additional bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blastco2

I have used a tram 1181 with good results. Very wide banded. Covers 70cm and gmrs with ease. Also covers vhf. 18.5", nmo.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Reading the replies, I've gleaned this:
Everybody has a different experience when it comes to electronics.
Collectively, everybody has a wide variety of opinions.
Some people just like to disagree with other people's opinions.

Since there were 2 replies suggesting a 1/4 wave antenna with NMO magnetic
mount, that is what I decided to do. Also, I tend to lean towards mmckenna's suggestions
since he seems to know a good bit. Perhaps he's like me and loves to experiment.

In any event, I should have my new 1/4 wave (6 inch whip, I think) and the NMO magnetic
mount both on Thursday. I really do like the low profile antennas, but I just cant seem to
find enough reviews and personal experiences on them. Going all the way back to my
11 meter days, I remember the percentages being something like 15% radio and 85% antenna.
A mediocre radio will work wonders if connected to a good antenna.

Thank you for all of your suggestions

N4KVE

I use this little guy.
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=536155&eventPage=1 It works very well, but I'm lucky that there's a UHF repeater on practically every corner. Sure, I could put a 40" antenna on my car, & it might work a bit better, but I've never actually been in the position where I wished I had the other antenna. Sort of like owning a car that will do 200 MPH, but the speed limit is 60MPH. Liard makes antennas in the USA for commercial services, While Tram/Browning do their best to import a look alike antenna from the far east, there is no comparison. The names "Tram", & "Browning" used to be quality American made CB radios from decades ago, but today they don't exist. The importer paid the licensee to use these names, hoping people will be confused, & think there is some relation between these quality radios from decades ago, & the products imported today. They are the Baofeng, Wouxun, & Tytera of the antenna industry. The vendors like to sell them because they make a heavy profit, while the buyer pays less than a quality antenna would cost. So while it's a win/win situation, in life you get what you pay for. If the OP doesn't care about the antenna size, the original Larsen dual band antenna can't be beat. Still made in the USA, & sell to the commercial industry as well.

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Pretty easy to get an NMO magnetic mount if that is what you are looking for.
$29.95:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrpl-1097.html

1/4 wave UHF antenna will probably serve you just fine. I used 1/4 wave on GMRS for many years. Tried some 5/8th's wave with 3dB of gain, but it didn't really make that much a difference..
$11.95:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqw450-801.html

There's no reason why this setup could't last you a lifetime. Using quality stuff from the start will not only save you a lot of headaches ($12 antenna?) but it will also last a lot longer. A bit of basic maintenance will really help.
Nice thing is that a 1/4 wave antenna is very broad banded. The one I linked to above is listed as 450-470, but in reality they'll cover more than that. If you ever decided to go to amateur radio, or just wanted to listen, this antenna will work fine.
Im going along with mmckenna on this one NMO mount is an good way to go if you dont keep an car for very long Mag Mount will work,also dont for get the Trunk Lip mount good luck.......

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
OK received the antenna and mount on Thursday. Obviously,
it didn't take too long to get things up and running.
First impressions are:
Nice stable little antenna. (should hold up nicely)
Nice sturdy mount that should also stand up well.
Inside the base of the antenna it is a button instead of the tab connection.

Hooked everything up and tried out my Handheld Baofeng radio.
SWR was 1.15:1 match. The SWR needle barely moved. I'm actually
getting a better receive now on the handheld. Before, I used to get some
scratchy receive or "popcorn" now I don't.
Found the same thing with my mobile radio. SWR = 1.15:1 (How much more could
I ask for?) Receive seems a bit better and I'm now hitting repeaters with 5 watts, that
I had some issues with before, using 20 watts.

OVERALL..... Nice little setup for the weekend warrior user like me.
Thank you mmckenna

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Glad to hear it's working for you.

Sometimes a high quality simple design is all you need. Good coax and a properly matched antenna is probably what's making the difference for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.