"Best" mobile scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for recommendations for a mobile scanner antenna covering 150, 450 and 800 MHz (no low band/6M needed). I currently have an Austin, but am wondering what others are using. Like most people, don't want to put holes in the vehicle.

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I think you already have one of the best multi-band antennas in the Austin. That's what I use. If you want the best performance then the next thing might be to have separate dedicated antenna for each of those bands.

SCPD

QRT
The Larsen Tri-band antenna was a good performer for me when I had a mobile scanner in my truck. The price is really good , depending on where you purchase it.

n5ims

I'm looking for recommendations for a mobile scanner antenna covering 150, 450 and 800 MHz (no low band/6M needed). I currently have an Austin, but am wondering what others are using. Like most people, don't want to put holes in the vehicle.

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

The Larsen tri-band (https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html) works quite well on the requested bands and is fairly short at under 17" tall. It uses the standard NMO mount so you can select whatever mounting best suits your requirements.

As far as putting holes in the vehicle goes, the issue isn't the holes but what damage you want done to your vehicle. The standard NMO mount requires a fairly large hole, that's true, but if professionally installed it will do minimal damage and pretty much not affect the resale value if handled correctly (actually may INCREASE the value if done correctly). Don't think of it as a huge hole, think of it as way to market your used vehicle. Put on a cheap NMO mount GPS antenna and tell them it will give their GPS better signal. Put on a cheap NMO mount cell antenna (or just any old 800 MHz antenna) and say it gives you better cell phone range. ...

OK you don't want to drill. That's fine. How about a mag-mount version. There are NMO mag mounts (https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=51777&eventPage=1) that will work just fine. The down side, they're easy to steal. They scratch the paint from just a little dirt under the mount. And that cable blowing around in the wind will scratch the paint as well. They also don't last long since the cable will break from being pinched in the door frame, especially if you use that door often.

There are other options. There are NMO mounts that clamp onto your trunk deck (http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmotlp-1171.html) and require no drilling at all. Depending on the space between your trunk and your car you may wear the paint off where the cable rubs against your car as you open and close your trunk. There are also an "L" bracket for the standard NMO mount (https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=76219) that mounts on the inside of your trunk or hood. This does require some holes, but just for the two or three small screws that hold the bracket to your car, and they're placed in areas where you have to know they're there and where to look to see them.

rwier

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

I have one of these on my vehicle roof, one on the roof of my house, and one on the top shelf in a bedroom closet.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC | Scanner Master

or

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA | Scanner Master

I consider these to be the best bang for the buck out there.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
+5. I have a Larsen tri band on the house with a tram mobile to base mount with ground radials and it hears as good as my scantenna on my garage.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Thanks nmelfi, I was wondering how that setup would perform. I was trying to decide between that or a discone.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

Are you using the Austin according to the manufacturer's recommendations? You should loosen the spring and remove the black knurled base. Screw the base onto the mount first, then screw the antenna into the base until it's tight, then lock it in place with the spring. You might also look into putting a small piece of foam under the tab at the bottom of the antenna, as it is the most common wear point.

I was extremely disappointed in my Spectra until I learned how to properly mount it. Since then, I won't use anything else when mobile.

cmdrwill

Anyone else have any experiences using this type setup for a base antenna?

I would get the commercial ground plane mount with the type N connector as they are much better at the 700 and 800 bands,

The radials would be cut for the lower frequencies, ie VHF, about 18 inches.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
The radials on the Tram mounts are about 18 inches, but yes a So239 connector. All the N mounts I have seen are for 800 and have really short radials, like 5 inches. Depending on your system aka simulcast a little less effective 800 reception might be better. I hear 7 and 800 meg fine with the so 239 and belden 213 cable at 30 feet with a 5 foot jumper of rg 6 at the wall plate to the pro 197.

trp2525

...All the N mounts I have seen are for 800 and have really short radials, like 5 inches...

Laird (both of the following mounts were formerly sold under the Antenex brand name) makes two different ground-plane conversions kits for NMO-mount antennas and both have N connectors:

MBCN for VHF/UHF with 22.5" radials (recommended cut to 8" for 406-512 MHz per the manufacturer): http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbcn-7531.html

MBC800 for 800/900 MHz with 3" radials: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc800-1650.html

For $5 additional ($29.95 for the MBCN vs. $24.95 for the MBC800) it might be wise to buy the MBCN with the longer 22.5" radials and then you can cut them to the recommended length for the band(s) you want to monitor.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the links I just ordered the 22.5 radial version for future use. I have had my mounts for a few years and at that time all the N type had the small radials.

Status
Not open for further replies.