BCD325P2/BCD996P2: MDC 1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwh367

If you have an Android phone you can use an app called Radio ID to decode MDC 1200, GE Star, pager tones (QC 2) and a few other things. You just start the app and put your phone within proximity of the scanner speaker.

N1GJB

So the reviews for this app are mixed. Some people say it doesn't work at all. Call me cheap but I can think of better ways to spend 99 cents if it doesn't work. What are people using for phones and how close does the phone/tablet need to be to the receiving radio?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've successfully used the Android version on both live and recorded broadcasts. Depending on the volume and clarity of the signal, anywhere between placed right beside the speaker (lying on the same table as the speaker) and within a foot or two has worked. In other words, YMMV...

RayAir

Radio ID works fine. I'm using a Droid Turbo 2.
It works OK with a little background noise present also (air purifier).

I used it for QC2 tone I.D's , then put the tones into a real radio and it alerts fine.

Also I tested it on a system using MDC1200 and compared it to my Motorola and it was displaying correct.

It's well worth 99 cents.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I'm impressed. Just bought it and used it for a few minutes playing voice logger files through my computer. QCII is right on. MDC works too, but is more picky.

Sure beats the old software I had to use to decode the stuff. It's incompatibility with 64 bit OS has made it a pain. I think this will become my replacement.

SCPD

QRT
The app itself works. Now if your device or radio has audio receiving static or failed mdc drops from the system it'll miss decoding but 99 percent of time works no issues. I believe most it depends on your device mic on the phone and quality. If your device has a blocked mic you'll have issues from dust or dirt. But i have gotten it to decode properly from 4 feet away.

sfd119

OP is wanting the MDC decoding ability in the scanner line...not holding the phone up to the scanner. While the app does work good, I would like this feature as well. It would be very useful.

The protocol is "open" now, so implementing it is not going to cost a license fee.

D

DaveNF2G

MDC is considered obsolete. I doubt Uniden expects much ROI for developing new scanner circuitry to handle it now.

Fleetsync, on the other hand.... :)

sfd119

MDC is considered obsolete. I doubt Uniden expects much ROI for developing new scanner circuitry to handle it now.

Fleetsync, on the other hand.... :)

MDC is far from obsolete. There are MANY agencies using it still, including many large agencies such as Boston Fire. Fleetsync is essentially the same thing as MDC. You don't necessarily have to develop new scanner circuitry to handle it either.

SCPD

QRT
Mdc is not obsolete and is a base in a majority of radio equipment for analog. If it was ge star or atis then I would agree. The new APX 8000 has mdc option. It is a common standard to use with analog systems still.

Status
Not open for further replies.