Need antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stgilmer

I am running a feed so it would help if i can get the best reception possible. System i am scanning is Spalding county Georgia. Using a bcd436 i bought the silver one off of Amazon by just seeing 11db gain. It doesn't work that well and was wondering if one of the gold ones would do better. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 51mRQ10CW2L._SL1500_.jpg
    51mRQ10CW2L._SL1500_.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 3elemyagi.jpg
    3elemyagi.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 559
  • 6elemyagi.jpg
    6elemyagi.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
NO...color makes no difference!!!!!

But as stgilmer posted, if it is a multi-site system, maybe you need to adjust the beam to just one of the sites, hopefully eliminating some or most of the signal from other sites, and the dreaded multi-site reception problems.

stgilmer

I realize the color makes no difference but the silver one is a cell phone antenna not sure if that's good or bad the others are off of antenna farm so I'm not sure if it is our not. Just received a professional 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Professional Portable SMA Antenna | Scanner Master
It didn't do any better than the rs800. It's almost like I'm not getting enough signal but i live a mile from the nearest tower. But when i analyze on the bcd436 my signal level is very low. I am surrounded by dense trees also, do i need to get either one up on a pole to help?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Yes sir...trees can effect a 800mhz signal. have you checked your feedline from antenna to the radio? Considering you have a portable, have you walked out of the trees and then checked received signal strength?
Up a nearby hill...lots of testing you can do to determine best antenna for your location.

stgilmer

Yes sir...trees can effect a 800mhz signal. have you checked your feedline from antenna to the radio? Considering you have a portable, have you walked out of the trees and then checked received signal strength?
Up a nearby hill...lots of testing you can do to determine best antenna for your location.

I really can't walk out of them without being in the middle of the road, i haven't tried getting it up high either, i think that's my next plan. So are all yagi antennas really nothing but cell phone antennas?

n5ims

So are all yagi antennas really nothing but cell phone antennas?

Please note that an antenna doesn't know, nor does it care, what TYPE of signal it is, only what frequency it is. That said, polarization also matters. If an antenna is designed to work in the 800 MHz range (and in our case is vertically polarized) then it should work well on an 800 MHz signal. This is regardless if that signal is for a cell phone, trunked radio system, conventional radio channel, television broadcast signal (although those are horizontally polarized), telemetry from remote sensors, analog, digital, pulse, whatever.

OK, those antennas are MARKETED as cell phone antennas. So what. They have the correct polarization (vertical). They're designed for the correct frequency range (800 MHz). They should work just fine. All yagi antennas are NOT cell phone antennas. They're directional vertical antennas that happen to work on the frequency range some cell phone frequencies operate (along with many other services). The folks that sell those antennas BELIEVE that the cell phone market WILL BUY them so they MARKET them to those folks.

As a directional antenna, it is important that it be aimed correctly at the tower. Depending on the design of your particular antenna, pointed correctly it should work just fine, but if you're off by more than just a few degrees, it may not work well at all. If you're attempting to use a yagi on a simulcast system, it's important to isolate an individual tower since you're not really trying to get a super strong signal, but eliminate the signals from other towers. Depending on your specific situation, you may need to point at a further away tower that has no other towers along that same line than point to the closest tower that has another tower further away in the same direction as your closest one.

They may price them differently dependent on how they market them as well. If you remember back that far, they used to market TV antennas as "Color TV Antenna" and asked a higher price than the old "TV Antenna" that didn't say color. Not too long ago, the same thing happened when they marketed TV antennas as "HD Ready" when in reality it was the same antenna they used to sell as a run-of-the-mill "TV Antenna". That "HD Ready" sticker was EXPENSIVE since it nearly doubled the price of the same antenna without that special "HD Ready" sticker on the box.

Last edited:

stgilmer

Please note that an antenna doesn't know, nor does it care, what TYPE of signal it is, only what frequency it is. That said, polarization also matters. If an antenna is designed to work in the 800 MHz range (and in our case is vertically polarized) then it should work well on an 800 MHz signal. This is regardless if that signal is for a cell phone, trunked radio system, conventional radio channel, television broadcast signal (although those are horizontally polarized), telemetry from remote sensors, analog, digital, pulse, whatever.

OK, those antennas are MARKETED as cell phone antennas. So what. They have the correct polarization (vertical). They're designed for the correct frequency range (800 MHz). They should work just fine. All yagi antennas are NOT cell phone antennas. They're directional vertical antennas that happen to work on the frequency range some cell phone frequencies operate (along with many other services). The folks that sell those antennas BELIEVE that the cell phone market WILL BUY them so they MARKET them to those folks.

As a directional antenna, it is important that it be aimed correctly at the tower. Depending on the design of your particular antenna, pointed correctly it should work just fine, but if you're off by more than just a few degrees, it may not work well at all. If you're attempting to use a yagi on a simulcast system, it's important to isolate an individual tower since you're not really trying to get a super strong signal, but eliminate the signals from other towers. Depending on your specific situation, you may need to point at a further away tower that has no other towers along that same line than point to the closest tower that has another tower further away in the same direction as your closest one.

They may price them differently dependent on how they market them as well. If you remember back that far, they used to market TV antennas as "Color TV Antenna" and asked a higher price than the old "TV Antenna" that didn't say color. Not too long ago, the same thing happened when they marketed TV antennas as "HD Ready" when in reality it was the same antenna they used to sell as a run-of-the-mill "TV Antenna". That "HD Ready" sticker was EXPENSIVE since it nearly doubled the price of the same antenna without that special "HD Ready" sticker on the box.

Wow, that's alot of great info, i can't thank you enough.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It would be helpful if you'd send us a link to the page for the original antenna so we can look at it.
My concern isn't the design of the antenna, it's the actual connector on the end. It's not uncommon to find some antennas that have a "RP" connector on them. These are a "reverse polarity" connector. While your coax and the antenna might physically connect together, you need to make sure the center pin is making contact.

1 mile away with a gain antenna pointed at the site? I suspect there is an issue with your cable or connectors.

As for trees being in the way, yeah, they'll attenuate the signal slightly, but not enough to create the issue you are seeing. I run an 800MHz trunked system and the area is covered in redwood trees. Works fine for miles. I've got another site where we are running a 1 watt 900MHz telemetry link just shy of 1 mile through dense redwood forest. Not an issue.

stgilmer

It would be helpful if you'd send us a link to the page for the original antenna so we can look at it.
My concern isn't the design of the antenna, it's the actual connector on the end. It's not uncommon to find some antennas that have a "RP" connector on them. These are a "reverse polarity" connector. While your coax and the antenna might physically connect together, you need to make sure the center pin is making contact.

1 mile away with a gain antenna pointed at the site? I suspect there is an issue with your cable or connectors.

As for trees being in the way, yeah, they'll attenuate the signal slightly, but not enough to create the issue you are seeing. I run an 800MHz trunked system and the area is covered in redwood trees. Works fine for miles. I've got another site where we are running a 1 watt 900MHz telemetry link just shy of 1 mile through dense redwood forest. Not an issue.

Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L3...ne+antenna&dpPl=1&dpID=41mPs66zAyL&ref=plSrch

stgilmer

1 mile away with a gain antenna pointed at the site? I suspect there is an issue with your cable or connectors..

I always thought it was odd ever since the upgrade to phase2 was done that it was like this. I doubt its the connector not connecting, it would have to not be connecting on the other 2 antennas also. All i know about the system is that it is a circle setup. Just so happens i am on the outside edge of the circle, if that matters. They didnt put towers along the county edge. Once i cross over into it while driving it clears right up makingme think i need more reception to get to the signal. Reception is somewhat clear to good early morning, evening and thru the night. But during the day it is a headache to make out whats being said. Wondering if my metal roof is knocking down the reception. I am going to take the yagi and scanner up on the roof sometime today and see what results i get before trying to acquire a pole.

Last edited:

stgilmer

If you are using this antenna indoors and you have a metal roof, that may very well be your problem.

Doesn't seem to be the metal roof interfering, i took the antenna and scanner up on the roof with no change in reception. I'm truly stumped.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, couple of other things you can try:

Test your coax cable. With antenna and radio disconnected...
You should have continuity from end to end from center pin to center pin.
You should have continuity from end to end from other shield to outer shield.
You should NOT have continuity from center pin to outer shield.

If any of those tests fail, your coax is bad.

Visually inspect both end of the cable and the connector on the antenna. Any sign of water intrusion is bad news. Any corrosion, condensation, etc. likely means that your weatherproofing failed (you did seal all your outdoor connections, right?) and water got inside. The water will corrode the copper and cause failures.

Make sure the site you are aiming your antenna at is on line and the correct one.

Get as close to the site as you can and try removing the antenna from your scanner. If you are close enough you should be able to pick something up even without the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.