HELP! New Broadcast feed provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkoucky

I am a new feed provider and I thought I had everything I need Pro-96 radio passing through a ground loop isolator into the line in (I tried mic and can't tell the difference) of my computer. I adjusted my levels using Audio Test and they are peaking right around -2. If I just listen to what is coming over my speakers it sounds fairly good, a little more static than I was hoping for but other than that all is correct.

However I cannot even understand anything that is said listening through by scannercast on broadcastify. It is a relatively slow traffic area so I am currently broadcasting weather to get your input.

Jasper County Missouri Live Audio Feeds

Thanks!!!

M105

Make sure any internal microphone on the computer is disabled.
Try it with and without the isolator.
Try different audio cables. Shielded is better.
Mute or set the volume to zero on the unused side of your stereo input. Usually the right channel I think.
Make sure there are no switching power supplies near your audio cables.

dkoucky

Thanks! I have a switching power supply currently powering it, if I switch back to battery I lose all static so a new one is on order. I muted one of the channels (2) and adjusted the bit rate. Something worked!

exportdawg

I am a new feed provider and I thought I had everything I need Pro-96 radio passing through a ground loop isolator into the line in (I tried mic and can't tell the difference) of my computer. I adjusted my levels using Audio Test and they are peaking right around -2. If I just listen to what is coming over my speakers it sounds fairly good, a little more static than I was hoping for but other than that all is correct.

However I cannot even understand anything that is said listening through by scannercast on broadcastify. It is a relatively slow traffic area so I am currently broadcasting weather to get your input.

Jasper County Missouri Live Audio Feeds

Thanks!!!

Make sure your AGC is turned off

Hi, not sure if your computer has a LINE IN rather than using Mic. , you might have to adjust the audio levels. To much audio or boost is not good. Make the adjustment and wait to listen to your feed on a different device and if needed make another adjustment and relisten to your feed, repeat untill you have correct settings.

Good luck!!!

M105

The isolator will isolate the DC voltage on a computer mic input from the output of the scanner so it is not a bad idea but I find that since it also isolates the grounds from each other it sometimes actually makes the hum problem worse. Since you are using line-in and not a mic input there should not be any DC voltage on the jack to worry about. Try it without the isolator and see if it improves. Sometimes hum issues can drive you crazy and require some detective work and experimenting.

Most times when I use the mic input on a computer I just place a small non polarized (1-10 mfd)capacitor in series with the audio and tie the grounds together. The cap blocks the DC while allowing the audio to pass through. The inline isolators are 1:1 audio transformers that magnetically couple the audio signals together and also isolate the grounds. Sometimes that's just the ticket for breaking a ground loop, sometimes it makes things worse when external interference like RFI noise is involved.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Something else to add to your bag of tricks: RadioFeed has an audio notch filter function that you can set for specific audio frequencies. Set it at 60 Hz and it will knock out the hum. I would still try to eliminate the hum first with an outboard isolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.