Lanny7436

Premium Subscriber
my 396 xt has no a

udio for ecryption my 651 has audio I need help where setting for p25 ecrption
is there one on the 396xt
thanks bears3312

Wow.
OK, let's see:
There's no current scanner that can listen to encrypted transmissions, p25 or otherwise.
So, what is it you're trying to do?
And: Mark's Scanners puts out a really neat guide for this scanner (amongst others).
Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual
In it are instructions to help you fine-tune p25 reception (if needed; mine works fine with the defaults).
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

bears3312

Wow.
OK, let's see:
There's no current scanner that can listen to encrypted transmissions, p25 or otherwise.
So, what is it you're trying to do?
And: Mark's Scanners puts out a really neat guide for this scanner (amongst others).
Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual
In it are instructions to help you fine-tune p25 reception (if needed; mine works fine with the defaults).
Hope this helps...

thanks for helping my 651 u can hear the gargle and 396 its silent so I try figure it out ill read the marks scanner page
thanks bears3312

sopranosno1

On the uniden 436 what if im in columbus or dayton listening to dea or fbi on hi band or uhf non trunk, will the 436 pick up 150-174 mhz or 406-420 encrypted channels??? Or will it bypass federal encrypted channels????

Voyager

It will pause on them then continue trying to find something you CAN hear. If you want, you can pause on the channel and watch the S-meter go up and down as there is activity on the frequency.

RayAir

Some* scanner models have settings to tell it what to do when it receives an encrypted signal.
They're usually:
1) Noise : You hear the R2D2
2) Silent: Scanner mutes the call
3) Tone: Scanner plays tone for call duration

A lot of times on enc groups you'll find at least a couple radios operating in the clear due to operator error. That seems to be the SOP around here anyway.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unmuting the encryption is sometimes useful if your talkgroup or frequency is a service which has radios in use with a lost key. My local PD has squads which are not all encrypted, although they are presumed so. Some of their traffic can be copied. This is probably true in other agencies as well. It just depends on how much raw encryption you can stand to listen to while waiting for traffic in the clear? :wink: 73, n9zas

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Listen to the garble

You would want to listen to the garble just to copy the radio ID's. Then you can tell who they belong to. Knowing that helps identify the frequency and or talk group. From time to time agencies forget to use the encryption, change batteries or become part of a large task force and they all turn it off so the other users can hear them.

It may sound strange but the radio ID's are well known even for federal agencies so it's just another portion of the hobby. If they aren't well known then that's even more fun tracking them down and seeing them pop up on other channels and filling in the puzzle. That's why a flag in the programming software to listen to encryption or bypass it would be super.

There is no way to hear the garble (why would you want to???)

gewecke

Banned
Detroit 780, has a very good point. Radio IDs are often the key to a puzzle when listening to multiple agencies. Who can encypt ... and who can't. ;). 73, n9zas

Voyager

And you can do that by pausing on the channel. Personally, I would use a decoder to gather RIDs.

As for some encrypted - some not, you will hear those not using encryption.

gewecke

Banned
And you can do that by pausing on the channel. Personally, I would use a decoder to gather RIDs.

Voyager, I think you miss our point. It doesn't require any decoder and merely takes a scratch pad & pen to jot down IDs which are encrypted with an "E" This is not a difficult practice, I've been doing it for years when inversion scrambling was the norm. :wink: 73, n9zas

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Encrypted ID's

You can't do that by pausing on the channel. Uniden does not pass through the encryption. You can pause on a frequency or talk group all day and unless they slip out of encryption you will not see the radio ID. The Whistler scanners you can choose to listen to the noise, mute the noise, but you can watch the radio ID's. I know you can do this with software by why bother carrying a PC when the radio will do it by itself.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
On the uniden 436 what if im in columbus or dayton listening to dea or fbi on hi band or uhf non trunk, will the 436 pick up 150-174 mhz or 406-420 encrypted channels??? Or will it bypass federal encrypted channels????

It will not bypass anything unless you have it set to avoid. If you are scanning freqs that you have programmed in, and it finds one with enc, it will stop on that freq for a very short period of time, maybe blurt out a half second of garble, and move on. Mine does this all the time on enc comms.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You can't do that by pausing on the channel. Uniden does not pass through the encryption. You can pause on a frequency or talk group all day and unless they slip out of encryption you will not see the radio ID.

Not true on all Unidens. And it may depend on the type of system.

On my Uniden, Bcd436hp on a Motorola Type 2 Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface I am able to hold on a talk group while there is enc and it does display the radio id being used.

Holding on a conventional channel (frequency) that has enc however will only show you the nac. I have not seen it give a radio id on a conventional freq. My 436 does blurt out the first second or two of enc audio garble when it detects it, on both conv and trunked.... It has never completely muted/blocked it at all since day one.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My experience on whether you hear any sort of sound/noise on an encrypted channel depends on the type of encryption and the scanner.

I've got a couple of x96 scanners that make a "zit-zap" sound when an ADP encrypted talkgroup is active. Because it is annoying, I just lock them out.

rwier

" ... They're usually:

1) Noise : You hear the R2D2
2) Silent: Scanner mutes the call
3) Tone: Scanner plays tone for call duration ..."

Probably bad memory, but maybe several years back:

4) Beep_Beep: Very close to old phone busy signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.