Haywood Electric Membership Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

For longer than I care to remember, I have been trying to determine what radio system the Haywood Electric Membership Corporation out of Waynesville in Haywood County utilizes. In the uhf block I have consistently run across their frequencies, with of course no voice modulation, but a signal none the less. An F.C.C. database search of their specific frequencies normally indicates that they are the only licensed user within my listening reach in Asheville.
I finally located a piece of information on a Google search from a Communications Technology company that supplies their system. I landed on the webpage for Catalyst Communications Technologies. It was an announcement from 2010 that they supplied a Radio Control Over Internet Protocol (RCOIP) system to Haywood EMC. The system utilizes a push to talk system over Verizon Wireless. The announcement indicates that the system works somewhat as Motorola's iden would.
The F.C.C. license is WQFQ600, their emissions designator only indicates 11K2F2D (FFSK/AFSK), and 11K2F3E (analog voice). The designators do not seem to match the system, but I have given up trying to make sense of that part of the licensing information. In looking into Duke/Progresses iden systems, their designators indicated a specific system, all of their designators began with 17's and 20's, I was able to find references to the Motorola system. I know there is someone out there who is more familiar with Haywood EMC than I am, and can piece together the assorted bits that I have gathered. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, thanks all, take care.

GamecockSJ

Verizon's PTT is just VoIP over the 3G/EV-DO network. We used to have it at work and it's pretty terrible. iDEN was way better.

Never heard of a solution like this but that's pretty cool. I read the announcement from Catalyst.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Last time I checked they were on a UHF LTR PassPort system, which isn't surprising considering the folks down the road at Trident Microsystems developed that protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.