Armed Forces Day - use of non-ham mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The ARRL's announcement for Armed Forces Day is here...

Annual Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Communications Test Set for May 14

The announcement mentions that for the first time, MIL-STD-188-110A/B will be used in the test. This is a non-ham mode that might cause trouble for those using data terminals that are tuned to pass ham digital tones (like the PK232). A soundcard connection is far preferable

You can find links to all of the modes - ham modes will redirect to our amateur digital page - here...

HF Modes Currently Active - The RadioReference Wiki

We also have a waterfall of MIL-STD-188-110A linked on that page.

I have to update the software listing for this mode on SigIDWiki, but the ones that can copy this mode (apart from the expensive packages like Wavecom) include MultiPSK, Skysweeper (Standard Plus and Pro versions), Sorcerer and possibly MS-DMT. The links for these can be found on the UMC software page, the link for which is in my sig line.

This is one mode that requires very precise tuning (I've only done it once, on a FT817). Fortunately many ham transceivers can tune down to 10hz, so this shouldn't present much of a problem. And of course, SDRs can tune this fine as well.

Mike

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Armed Forces Day

As a new Technician level operator what can be expected on Armed Forces Day? Where to listen? Or is it more packet cw? Does anyone know if Nellis AFB is participating? I'm just trying to understand what happens during this?

kma371

QRT
As a new Technician level operator what can be expected on Armed Forces Day? Where to listen? Or is it more packet cw? Does anyone know if Nellis AFB is participating? I'm just trying to understand what happens during this?

If you check the links in the post, you will find the answers to your questions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The very first link in the ARRL article will send you to the MARS page with all the frequencies to be used, as well as the modes (this assumes, of course, that you have access to a HF receiver...). Here's the direct link...

Announcements - US Army MARS

Anyone (ham or not) may participate by decoding the message and listening in to the traffic.

This is one of the only times (let's not go into emergency situations, please....) where cross service comms- in this case, between amateur radio and the military - are allowed per the Rules..

Receiving the digital modes (and yes, even the CW is considered 'digital', altho there are many folks that can copy 25wpm CW) requires software, some of which is mentioned in the article that I linked in the document. If one were to pick just one package, I'd say MultiPSK would be the logical choice, since it can decode almost everything that will be used.

There's lots of ways to prepare yourself for the test. Installing the software and getting it to decode would be the logical step (and we have a forum dedicated to decoding the non-ham digital stuff). Then you need some way to 'practice'. While the MARS page gives you a few hints, there's several other ways to 'practice'. The ARRL digital transmissions are one - and there are several other non-ham digital broadcasts you can use. Both are listed below...

Digital Transmissions

Testing Your New Setup - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the UDXF Yahoo group;
==============================================
FYI, WUG-2 will be on again this year with new antennas, new frequencies and higher power. Conditions permitting, we should get out quite well.

As usual, we will have a unique WUG-2 QSL card available to hams and SWLs. I am QSL manager and no SASE required. Hope to work you.

73, Jim - KH2AR/W4
Memphis, TN

VE2GT

re need address for NIIW QSL card

a got a reply
Probably not, they don't need your card, they'll send you one without your sending them one. Might take a couple months, but you'll get it eventually.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the thread is about digital modes being used during Armed Force Day contacts. Please stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.