• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT UVF10 Won't Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a brand-new TYT UVF10. I downloaded the software for it and got the programming cable, which didn't come with the radio. However, when I tried to read it with the software, it gave me an error stating that it could not open the port. I tried this several times, each time getting the same error message. So, I decided to try it using a different computer. Same message. I can't seem to get the software to read the radio no matter what I do. Any ideas?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
What cable are you using? With my tyt md380 I have to use a tyt cable. I grabbed one of my cheap knockoff kenwood / baofeng style cables with the same connector and it wouldn't work. There's something different in the chip as I can't use the tyt cable on kenwoods either. I never looked into it very much since I had both. Hope that's of some help

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was using a Retevis-branded USB cable, so that might be the problem. On the other hand, I used a serial cable that came with another TYT radio I had, and it didn't work either (I used it on another laptop I have that has a serial port).

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
My retevis cable wouldn't work on my tyt. So that may be the issue. I'm thinking I remember seeing something about ftdi chips with the tyt cables but I may be completely wrong and confusing it with another. I'll be happy to look when I get home later tonight and let you know exactly what im using that works.

ermin

I recently acquired a brand-new TYT UVF10. I downloaded the software for it and got the programming cable, which didn't come with the radio. However, when I tried to read it with the software, it gave me an error stating that it could not open the port. I tried this several times, each time getting the same error message. So, I decided to try it using a different computer. Same message. I can't seem to get the software to read the radio no matter what I do. Any ideas?

Open up device manager before you plug your programming cable in. Plug in a cable and see if a comm port pops up. If it does set your program for that port. IF it does not, then there is a driver problem.

Ermin

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
No answers?
I suspect that like the MD-380, the chip is in the radio itself, which means that all you need is a straight-through USB cable. BaoFeng and similar Kenwood cables with the chip in the USB housing will not work.

May I ask why you bought a dPMR radio to begin with? What is it compatible with in the U.S.?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
N4GIX I'd say you're exactly right. I just opened my cable up and the wires go straight through. There's a PCB in there with a blank spot where a chip would be. Also in my device manager I'm showing "stm device in dfu mode" when I connect the radio.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Open up device manager before you plug your programming cable in. Plug in a cable and see if a comm port pops up. If it does set your program for that port. IF it does not, then there is a driver problem.

Ermin

I did that, and it showed the cable as being there, but when I tried to hook up the radio it gave me an error saying that the device had malfunctioned and Windows didn't recognize it.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
May I ask why you bought a dPMR radio to begin with? What is it compatible with in the U.S.?

I actually got it because it was a dual-bander and it was waterproof. It also has a nice, big color screen and I tend to gravitate towards radios with those. I'm hoping to get my license pretty soon, or at least when the local amateur radio club gets around to administering a test again.

cmdrwill

If they are anything like the Mototrbo radios, hook up the programming cable, then turn on the radio. You should get the USB device found beep. Then read the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.