Frequency Scanner plug-in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmachine

Premium Subscriber
I have this working pretty well within sdr#. My question is what do all of the settings mean? IE: snrdb, hysteresis, next s, detect ms. And how should I set them?

mancow

Database Admin
SNR is at what level a signal must be above the noise before it will consider it valid and tune there.

HYSTERESIS is the level at which a signal can drop and still be considered valid.

NEXT S is how many seconds left before it will cease waiting and continue searching.

DETECT MS is the amount of time it is allowed to analyze a signal.

The SNR is somewhat like squelch. Set it enough above the noise not to run into the noise floor and allow for free scanning but not so high that only extremely strong signals will be detected.

I usually set hysteresis a couple points below the SNR. After locking out offending signals to normalize the spectrum I usually lower the detect ms as far as it will go and still be stable (stopping on valid signals). The wait time is how long it will wait on a signal (a delay) before resuming search and that is up to personal preference.

radsmachine

Premium Subscriber
One more question: when the upper and lower scan reqs are put in, what is recommended for bandwidth and step size?

mancow

Database Admin
That depends entirely on what you want to search for. There is no one answer. Something like aircraft would be AM, 10k bandwidth, 25k step.

radsmachine

Premium Subscriber
for instance, I scan police freqs between 150 and 169 mhz. I really want it to hit almost every freq. what do I put the step size on?

mancow

Database Admin
The scanner doesn't like steps smaller than the bandwidth. It used to not allow it but now it does. The question is again murky. In reality it could be every 2.5k step but you won't pull voice if the bandwidth is set at that bandwidth.

Try 5k and maybe 6.25k.

Voyager

2.5 kHz would be necessary for that. 11200 Hz bandwidth.

5 kHz would hit on channels 2.5 kHz off, and 6.25 would hit on channels 3.125 kHz off. Only 2.5 kHz would hit virtually every PS channel dead on. Adjacent hits could be an issue, but that is something you would have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.